Author Topic: Has TSA gone too far?  (Read 9286 times)

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
Re: Has TSA gone too far?
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2010, 03:30:22 pm »
The TSA policies are feeling more and more distrubing by the minute >.>
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Kris

• My Furaffinity
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2010, 03:31:12 pm »
I would like to share this link with you guys:
Proposed TSA Slogans

Excellent link, Serra!  

I don't agree with the shenanagains that the TSA is putting folks through, though I'm not sure if the politicians are going to step up and fix things.  One would only hope more airports make haste with the opt-out rule before that gets closed off.
Cheetahfluffs

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2010, 03:35:02 pm »
Oh! I totally forgot to put my TSA getting through w/o being checked story up here (came up in IRC yesterday)

Anyways, I was going with a group of people, and they made a slight mistake and thought I was already cleared to go, and so I went through w/o being checked XD
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 01:25:36 pm »
Serra, in relation to the video of the 4-6 year old being harassed, I remembered this:
http://slapblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/101112tsa.jpg
Disclaimer: This is not a real book.

After doing all of the research I've done, and seeing things that I've seen..I'm up for going through in a bathing suit next time. Anybody else?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:11:08 pm by Shim »

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 04:36:53 pm »
Shim, your link disturbs me a big deal.
Seriously.
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2010, 03:01:22 am »
While the TSA was busy fondling young children, this happened.

Ignore the phrase "tragedy" if you're a supporter of Darwin. One less idiot in our gene pool.

All I have to say is "Nice security measures there, chief". :P
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 03:04:05 am by Mooshi »

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2010, 10:11:13 am »
Wow... I'm appalled. I can certainly see how something like this could happen because security being so brazen and adamant on full body searches instead of actually focusing on real security, but it's almost funny how a man can just sneak into the landing gear undetected.
Almost comical.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2011, 12:42:19 pm »
I heard that the TSA agents who perform the intensive searches do not always change gloves between suspects.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2011, 05:23:08 pm »
but it's almost funny how a man can just sneak into the landing gear undetected.
Almost comical.

Pilots do full pre-flight inspections before every time their plane takes off.
The preasure and temperature in the landing gear is not regulated.  You would die within minutes of takeoff.

What was more amazing was after 9-11 when you could walk past security,  go into a restraint,  and order a steak (which would come with a large steak knife.)

Anyhow... TSA is now fining people who do not comply with the searches (even if you just intend to leave and walk out of the airport instead) upwards of $10,000.  In other words,  once you enter the airport security line,  according to the TSA you are waiving your freedom of movement and subjecting yourself to the search.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2011, 07:13:24 pm »
To the best of my knowledge, At least Amtrak isn't doing body patdowns, etc.  ;) *plans to travel to AC2011 via rail service*

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 07:16:57 pm »
To the best of my knowledge, At least Amtrak isn't doing body patdowns, etc.  ;) *plans to travel to AC2011 via rail service*

Trains are very nice..I've taken a train trip before. I loved the scenery.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2011, 07:23:00 pm »

Trains are very nice..I've taken a train trip before. I loved the scenery.
As long as you don't mind long delays. Amtrak doesn't own all the rails they run on. Depending on the route, they could have to stop and wait for other trains belonging to the rail owner. It's hit and miss, but the wait times can be quite long and resulting stops at train stations could be cut very short to make up time. If you're a smoker, this could mean loosing a chance to go outside and light up (as we found out when Allie was running from Milwaukee to Texas). Of course, I'd still like to take a tour on one some day as long as delays aren't going to be an issue.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 07:54:26 pm »
As long as you don't mind long delays. Amtrak doesn't own all the rails they run on. Depending on the route, they could have to stop and wait for other trains belonging to the rail owner. It's hit and miss, but the wait times can be quite long and resulting stops at train stations could be cut very short to make up time.

I found this out the hard way when I went to AC08 and the train stopped in Indiana and sat on the tracks for 8-10 hours to wait for other trains to go through.  >:(  x_x

Offline Alsek

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 02:51:06 am »
Just passed through TSA in Dallas.  Was uneventful.  I was polite. They were polite back.  The terminal i went through didn't have the patdowns or the scanners.

Offline Kiska Nirpaw

• GO STEELERS!
  • Female
    • FA
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 08:12:33 am »
Just passed through TSA in Dallas.  Was uneventful.  I was polite. They were polite back.  The terminal i went through didn't have the patdowns or the scanners.

I'm wondering if, after all the pre-Thanksgiving backlash and the fact that the Opt-Out protests seemed to leave fewer people in the airport, they aren't ramping down the theater a bit and doing ACTUAL security measures. Maybe I just haven't seen the right news coverage, but the last big TSA goof-up (regarding the nutty security tactics) I saw was the breast milk mom and the lady who was forced to remove her sanitary napkin to prove it wasn't a bomb or some such.  >:(

I still have no intention of flying anytime soon (if ever).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:14:50 am by Kiska Nirpaw »

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 07:56:04 pm »
I got on a plane at San Francisco, TSA was... well, they were a bit stressful but mostly uneventful. I think they were very stressed and thus were very rude to everyone.
I did have a nice time with the customs officer, he was nice and friendly.

Offline Alsek

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2011, 09:32:27 pm »
So an update on this.

I found out from someone i know at TSA why so many elderly people and children are being singled out for scanning.

Apparently the agents have a percentage of,  "random people," they have to send through the scanners.

If they send someone through and actually find something,  it's a huge ordeal and they end up with a lot of paperwork to write.

So instead they look for the really old and the really young,  who will not have anything illegal on them,  and who will not try to resist of make a big deal out of the situation.  I know a woman in her 80s who went on two round trips in the same year,  and was singled out for special screening all 4 times she flew.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2011, 10:13:00 pm »
So an update on this.

I found out from someone i know at TSA why so many elderly people and children are being singled out for scanning.

Apparently the agents have a percentage of,  "random people," they have to send through the scanners.

If they send someone through and actually find something,  it's a huge ordeal and they end up with a lot of paperwork to write.

So instead they look for the really old and the really young,  who will not have anything illegal on them,  and who will not try to resist of make a big deal out of the situation.  I know a woman in her 80s who went on two round trips in the same year,  and was singled out for special screening all 4 times she flew.

You know you're over the 6 month gravedig rule? ;)

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2011, 10:54:09 pm »
So an update on this.

That may be true, but this was a topic that I was always waiting on new replies for. Just because nobody has posted doesn't mean it isn't still relevant and up for debate :o!

Offline Alsek

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2011, 12:04:03 am »

My apologies Kobuk,  it was on the first page so i didn't bother to check the date.

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2011, 01:38:48 am »
So an update on this.

So they intentionally choose "random" people that are unlikely to have anything they are not suppose to? That kind of kills the entire point of it doesn't it? Why not get rid of it then?

On the flip side, imagine if instead the "random" people chosen were ones they deemed as more likely to have something. That could easily turn into some kind of racial profiling or the like, and would likely result in a huge uproar. But since it's kids and elderly....  apparently reverse profiling is okay. Completely ineffectual, but acceptable. (just something I was thinking about that I thought was interesting.)

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2011, 01:47:42 am »
Well a lot of people have called for profiling based on actions and such, which I think is ok. It's sad that the masses automatically confuse profiling with racial profiling. Isn't it Israel that does this and has been very effective? I know it's one of those countries in that area that do so.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Alsek

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2011, 04:37:56 am »
Vararam,  it's really a matter of the TSA workers being lazy and taking advantage of the rules.  It's not a group policy so much as the laziness of individuals.

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2011, 10:41:19 am »
Vararam,  it's really a matter of the TSA workers being lazy and taking advantage of the rules.  It's not a group policy so much as the laziness of individuals.
Yes, I know. But it still works out to essentially the same. Though if it were policy that would be worse.

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2011, 10:43:39 pm »
Well a lot of people have called for profiling based on actions and such, which I think is ok. It's sad that the masses automatically confuse profiling with racial profiling. Isn't it Israel that does this and has been very effective? I know it's one of those countries in that area that do so.

It sure is. Israel really knows what it's doing, not just in profiling, but in all other aspects of airport security. The TSA should start taking lessons from them.