Author Topic: MLP Princess Celestia  (Read 4510 times)

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
MLP Princess Celestia
« on: July 30, 2011, 09:11:27 am »
An idea i was thinking over while working this morning. I've heard a few folks talk against MLP's Princess and i thought it might be fun to debate why some feel this way. While this is for fun i'd like to say that all debate forum rules still apply. Also when citing your information sources please limit them to canon only. So please share, do you think Princess Celestia is a peacefull ruler or an evil dictator?
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
Re: MLP Princess Celestia
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 12:41:06 pm »
I think going by the show, she's a peaceful but playful/mischievious ruler that likes to play pranks on her subjects now and then. As a bit of a side note, the guys on the Bronyville podcast reported that Lauren Faust gave an interview where she said she originally wanted Princess Celestia to be a queen. Thanks to Disney, queens are known as the "evil villan" type in kids stories. So she was forced to demote P.C. to being princess since those are typically seen as the kind, innocent types.

Personally, I think it would be interesting to have seen her (apple)buck the trend. :D
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Sky Striker

• Pet of Aperture Science
  • Male
    • Portal 2 Competitive Testing Initiative
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 12:57:45 pm »
There's a huge article on knowyourwmeme that is absolutely hilarious. They call her Trollestia. Really, it's just for funzies, but you certainly can make the argument.
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 05:17:43 pm »
I see her as Lawful-evil. She knows what she's doing, but she has her own fun. I figure it was a pretty harsh thing to exile Luna for a thousand years though :P

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 06:11:36 pm »
I see her as Lawful-evil. She knows what she's doing, but she has her own fun. I figure it was a pretty harsh thing to exile Luna for a thousand years though :P
Maybe a little harsh, but she was trying to stop the day from ever coming. Of course you also gotta figure that in that 1000 years Celestia probably lightened up on her attitude some.

In fact it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the whole reason she took on Twilight as an aprentice and set stuff up for the pilot was to free her sister. Like maybe she wasn't able to free Luna herself, so when she found Twilight she knew this pony had some serious power. And with proper training she'd uncover the elements of harmony and stop the darkness in her sister's heart.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 11:55:04 pm »
All very true points, Starmoon Shroud.  I think John Joseco sums it up the best though.

http://johnjoseco.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=48#/d3h20bo :P

My favorites are "Obtatain new DJ-PON3" and "Make all the animals not love the yellow pegasus" :P

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 12:07:42 am »
Yip, pretty much.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 09:38:17 am »
But these don't make her a troll or a bad person. She's an Alicorn and has lived much longer than anyone else we've seen so far in the show (aside from dragons) and with age often comes wisdom. We haven't seen evidence that she's a poor ruler, quite the opposite. From what we've seen of Equestria the country seems to be in fairly good shape. Not a lot of crime outside of trickster unicorns making big claims. The economy seems to be in pretty good shape too.

I will admit that there are times that P.C. seems to enjoy messing witth folks, but not out of a desire to hurt feelings or make anyone mad but rather more a desire to help ponies loosen up and relax. Trollish behavior is often messing with folks to anger or annoy but P.C.'s way makes me think of a grown up Pinkie Pie. Play a few pranks and tricks to get ponies to enjoy themselves.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 11:07:55 am »
Ok, can someone explain what an alicorn is? I've heard several references to P.C. And Luna as such. When I tried to look it up, the definition said alicorn is the stuff that makes up the horn on a unicorn.

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 11:18:06 am »
I think it's a fan-invented term. It's a pony that has both wings and a unicorn horn. A.K.A. only Celestia and Luna.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 11:58:09 am »
I've always heard that it was what a horned pegasus was.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart