Author Topic: Antidepressants  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Mr. Apple

• Male
    • FurAffinity
Antidepressants
« on: October 16, 2011, 01:34:20 am »
Ok This is spurred from a rant I had on another website.
I'm a teenager. That means I'm still in this swirling pool of emotions that I don't yet know how to deal with. The only difference is, most of my friends are on a medication. The worst of which is a good friend of mine currently prescribed to 6 prescriptions to treat her depression, while i'm going through the same stuff and my parents basically told me to get over it. So i'm kind of biased towards the side against antidepressants seeing them as a crutch which, in the long run, won't do you any good. But I'd like to hear from other people.
To be honest, It seems to me like these pills are becoming today's lobotomy.

anyway, your thoughts?
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."

DA: http://x13killer.deviantart.com/
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/x13killer/

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
Re: Antidepressants
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 01:44:36 am »
Just a note,   those drugs aren't really made to treat genuine emotion caused by hard social circumstances,  rather,  a physical chemical imbalance than can cause feelings of depression.

They're different issues.  If you're not sure,  you'd need to talk to a specialized doctor to find out which you have.

Offline Mr. Apple

• Male
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 01:48:29 am »
Just a note,   those drugs aren't really made to treat genuine emotion caused by hard social circumstances,  rather,  a physical chemical imbalance than can cause feelings of depression.

They're different issues.  If you're not sure,  you'd need to talk to a specialized doctor to find out which you have.

It just seems that these pills are being treated as the next miracle treatment. I don't doubt that there are genuine cases where there's a chemical imbalance, but it can't be as common as it's made out to be.
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."

DA: http://x13killer.deviantart.com/
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/x13killer/

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 01:54:25 am »
As with all [relatively new] classes of drugs, they are misused, abused, and over-prescribed by doctors. But they have uses and reasons for use.
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 08:40:12 am »
Many drugs like these are often just placebos anyway so they are easily handed out by doctors but if it helps someone over a hard spot in there life then it does it's job anyway. I refused medication when I was told to take them when I was having a hard time but for some others it may be all they need to spur some confidence and take care of the root problem (talking about placebos here). I'd type more but I'm on my phone laying on a hospital couch.

Offline Gearbox

• Species: Fennec-coyote hybrid
  • Ghost Foxote
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 02:57:24 pm »
Overprescribed, no doubt about that, but there's certainly those out there who could use them.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 09:30:12 pm »
Mr. Apple:  You're probably right. I do have to wonder if a lot of antidepressants are used as a "crutch". I really have to wonder about Ritilin too which is used for kids with ADD. All these drugs and pills that doctors prescribe make me wonder if the doctors are just "pushing them" so to speak to make the pharmacutical companies richer. Or maybe the doctors are "inventing" new disorders so that the drug companies can come up with new "cures" for the doctors to prescribe.  :P There's no "pill/drug" that can cure depression. The only real cure is in your mind. You need to think positively and believe in yourself. Stop believing the negative and don't let others put you down.

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 09:43:18 pm »
Mr. Apple:  You're probably right. I do have to wonder if a lot of antidepressants are used as a "crutch". I really have to wonder about Ritilin too which is used for kids with ADD. All these drugs and pills that doctors prescribe make me wonder if the doctors are just "pushing them" so to speak to make the pharmacutical companies richer. Or maybe the doctors are "inventing" new disorders so that the drug companies can come up with new "cures" for the doctors to prescribe.  :P There's no "pill/drug" that can cure depression. The only real cure is in your mind. You need to think positively and believe in yourself. Stop believing the negative and don't let others put you down.

I think it depends. With some people, it really is all in the mind. But with others, it is possible it is a chemical (hormonal) imbalance that is physiological - not psychological. This is what the drugs are supposed to be for, but they end up being used for anyone with depressive symptoms. Misuse and over-prescribing by the doctors - "pushing them" comes into play when you realize that many pharmaceutical companies pay doctors kickbacks for prescribing their medications as opposed to others'/using other means of treatment.

As for Ritalin, I think it has mostly run it's course/nearing the end of the ridiculous "prescribe to any kids with ADHD-esque symptoms" phase; as there are other, more effective and less addictive drugs on the market [I'm not going into those drugs, or the fact they are pushed as well, not point, and not relevant to the discussion as it is here].
And Ritalin, as with other stimulant-based ADD/ADHD meds, is very addictive and harmful if the child does not REALLY need it. As well as having dangerous effects on many people due to the strong stimulant properties of the drug - heart conditions and arhythmias, being prevalent among takers and abusers alike.
[Song relevant, and good - about misdiagnoses, "pushing" Ritalin, and addiction therefore occurring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnkV6qdjUWw ]
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline Drake Blackpaw

• Male
    • http://www.drakebp.furtopia.org/
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 10:15:25 pm »
I've experienced the good and the bad sides of antidepressants.  These drugs do have there place and can provide help to those who really need it, but they are not a panacea.  They work best when accompanied by counseling to help modify behavior as well and many of the commonly prescribed antidepressants strong side effects.  

As I started out with, I have first hand experience with anti-depressants as I was on them for two periods in my life.  Both times were periods where I spiraled down into a very deep depression that was impacting my relationship with my friends and wife and productivity at work.  Each time I went on the antidepressants, the drugs did help me emerge from the depths of depression that I was in and start finding enjoyment in life again.  I know these drugs can be helpful as they did help me emerge from some very dark places two times in my life.

However, antidepressants like all drugs have side effects and depending on the type of antidepressant you are taking, these side effects can be severe.  Many of the most prescribed antidepressants are of the SSRI, (serotonin re-uptake inhibitor) family of drugs and there are some very strong side effects common to all SSRI drugs.  The antidepressants I was on, Paxil the first time and Effexor the second are members of the SSRI family and once I started feeling better from taking them, I started to have more and more issues with a couple of the common SSRI side effects.  The side effects I suffered the most with were heavy weight gain and sexual dysfunction, neither  of which is fun to go through.  Both times I decided to discontinue taking the medication due to the side effects and had the doctor start weaning me off of them.  Another issue with SSRIs is that they have serious withdrawal effects if you stop taking them cold turkey.  I remember with Effexor, it took over two months to safely wean myself off the medication.

I don't think anyone should be prescribed antidepressants without going through counseling as well to deal with the issues.  Of course, I didn't follow that rule when I was on antidepressants and that may be why I needed to go back on them again.  While they helped me get out of a dark place, I never dealt with the issues nor learned new behaviors that would stop me from going back to that dark place.  At least I can say that I have been to counseling since then, and I don't see myself needing antidepressants again in the future.

I agree with others who say that antidepressants are over prescribed.  Giving someone a drug is much cheaper than the cost of seeing a therapist, even though a therapist is likely what they need in the long run.  Still, there are people who do need these drugs and studies have shown that taking an antidepressant while attending therapy provides a much higher rate of success than either therapy or drugs alone.

I do believe your parents are wrong Mr. Apple for telling you to just deal with it, when it comes to any emotional issues you are having.  I'm not saying they should have you put on drugs like your friends, but if you are having serious emotional issues, then you should be seeing some type of counselor who can help you learn how to cope with what you are going through.  

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 05:55:31 am »
There's no "pill/drug" that can cure depression. The only real cure is in your mind. You need to think positively and believe in yourself. Stop believing the negative and don't let others put you down.

Just remember... They're not meant to cure genuine emotion... they're meant to treat a physical chemical imbalance when can be caused for a variety of reasons...  They have their place... But they're being incorrectly perscribed on a whim to treat real emotions.

ADD, ADHD,  and Ritalin are a whole different topic... One i could spend hours ranting about (i wont.)

Offline Jovi Sparks

• One more word and you wont survive.
  • Female
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 08:13:36 pm »
Some people view antidepressants as a crutch, and they kind of are, but they're a crutch to be able to stop the whirlwind of emotions caused by a chemical/hormonal imbalance to start being able to deal with the issues that are causing the depression or whatever to start with. Some of them can have some pretty heavy side effects, and can cause dependency. While I was a teenager I was placed on ADD medications and they helped me, but they may have been helping me for other reasons now as it turns out I have Narcolepsy and Bipolar 1. So I have 3 different prescriptions, and the ones that I'm on have seriously helped me because I have an actual chemical imbalance going on, and some neurological damage due to a head injury many years ago.

Anyway, I think that seeking counseling is a good first step, but not from a psychiatrist, just a psychologist at first. There you can talk through your issues, and they will give you coping techniques to deal with things and emotions you don't know how to deal with.
Member of Ungulates United local #416 Haaaaay!