Poll

Should the Confederate flag/symbol be removed?

Yes
7 (43.8%)
No
3 (18.8%)
Undecided
0 (0%)
Only remove it from gov't places/institutions.
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: The Confederate flag/symbol.  (Read 5857 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
The Confederate flag/symbol.
« on: June 25, 2015, 12:43:22 pm »
In the last several days, I've seen many news reports about how people want the Confederate flag/symbol removed from flag poles as well as other places and things (including dinner plates). This whole issue seems to have started right after those black people were gunned down in that Charleston church days ago.
As for me, I say Yes. Remove the Confederate flag/symbol. The Civil War is long since over. We don't need that symbol igniting any more racial tensions, hate, etc., etc.

Oh, and it gets worse. I just saw this on a modeling forum.  :o

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=159829

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
Re: The Confederate flag/symbol.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 12:50:31 pm »
I say yes remove it, like you said the civil war has been over for a LONG time. Plus it is a negative symbol.
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:01:11 pm »
Remember how I said it gets worse? Now you can't even buy a model of the General Lee car from the Dukes of Hazzard. Warner Bros. has asked toy/model maker Round 2 to stop producing/selling any more merchandise with the Confederate symbol on it. Good thing I was able to get on Amazon quick and order a General Lee before they were all gone. I only hope my order doesn't get cancelled later on by Amazon or the seller.
And I read another news report that the Gov't has asked the National Park Service to stop selling any merchandise in gift shops with the Confederate symbol on it. This even includes small stuff like pins and belt buckles.  :o

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:59:27 am »
If it's a negative symbol, I say get rid of it, most see it as a symbol of racism and if it offends people, get rid of it. Who cares! It might be sad you can't buy things with it on it, but you can buy other things that are still great too. I don't care about confedercy it's been long gone, what I do hate is what it stands for. So there is still plenty of things you can buy.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 02:34:28 am by Amducious »
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Synaptic Road

• Species: A duality: all and none!
  • You see all you know, but don't know all you see!
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 01:26:55 am »
If it were a symbol "with no meaning," then I'd honestly say "whatever, it's just a symbol."  Of course, that's not the case here - the Civil War is something we should have learned from, but my guess is that part of the reason it wasn't removed long ago was "Southern pride."  ...Which I'm still seeing on the Internet, though thankfully it's mostly "redneck pride" and not related to the Civil War, slavery, or African-Americans.

I agree: it should be removed - after all, it has a negative connotation, but in the end, it's just a symbol.  It's not like you're taking down an important monument or prehistoric ruin or anything.  d:

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 11:47:13 am »
People  should have the right to  free expression,Inducing display the confederate  flag. It not  always  a racist symbol, just like  the swastika (originally Buddhist symbol) it was cooped  by racist. 

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 01:23:24 pm »
I don't think it ever belonged on a government owned flag pole. It's better off in a
museum. Relics from history are fine, but it should be limited to history.

Let's edcuate people about why the war was started and how it helped to
free a  people who had no choice in their position as slaves. Let's not dismiss
an entire generation of people who fought and died for what they believed was
right on either side. Seems history always paints the loosing side in a bad light
wither they deserve it or not. We should honor them where they are buried, and
not in public parks or around houses of government.

I think much of the anti confederate mania is in the news, large buisness, and
with politicians who want good public relations. Many small buisnesses are having
record sales of confederate memorabilia. At least they are in my area..

As far as personally owning or displaying memorabilia should be up to the individual if
they wish to do so. It's sad when people misuse such things though.

oldrabbit.com

Offline Synaptic Road

• Male
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 08:28:27 pm »
As far as personally owning or displaying memorabilia should be up to the individual if
they wish to do so. It's sad when people misuse such things though.

This is relevant to my own topic, as well.  As with any human-conceived image, object, idea, etc., the problem isn't the "thing" itself, but what happens when the "thing" is in the hands of someone who's intention is to harm others.  Your point about people fighting for what they beleive is right is valid, but a "symbol" is just one of countless ways to honor those people.  My issue with the Civil War wasn't with either "side," but why it was started in the first place, as well as the resulting causalities.

What people now should really focus on in terms of the "Confederate symbol" issue isn't "the Confederacy," but the truth that "there are no victors in war."  Each side involved in warfare suffers in one way or another; how can it be said that any side was victorious?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 11:30:13 pm »
Getting rid of/banning the Confederate flag/symbol will not stop hatred/racism. People will always continue to hate and be racist as long as there is something for them to hate and be racist about. And they'll continue to use whatever symbols they want to use. It's a shame there's no tolerance left in the world anymore. I agree with removing the Confederate flag/symbol, but only for certain things and/or certain places. I think removing the Confederate symbol should only be on a "case by case" basis. Not removed from "everything and anything".

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 05:26:03 am »
Getting rid of/banning the Confederate flag/symbol will not stop hatred/racism. People will always continue to hate and be racist as long as there is something for them to hate and be racist about. And they'll continue to use whatever symbols they want to use. It's a shame there's no tolerance left in the world anymore. I agree with removing the Confederate flag/symbol, but only for certain things and/or certain places. I think removing the Confederate symbol should only be on a "case by case" basis. Not removed from "everything and anything".
I completely agree with this.  Would not want an outright ban on any symbol.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:29:07 am by Yip »

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 11:35:02 am »

I also agree. There will always be those who find reasons to hate others. This action
may cause more hatred instead of reducing it.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:42:34 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 10:13:44 pm »
I completely agree with this.  Would not want an outright ban on any symbol.
Agreed.  I've been been sitting here trying to put my thoughts into words (rather unsuccessfully), but i can say that i feel very strongly about the issue of of a ban in general.

I'll revisit this one in a few days, see if i can write something a bit more meaningful.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 05:42:06 pm »
In another turn of events,
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/07/02/bo-duke-tweets-photo-of-dylann-roof-in-protest-after-tv-land-dumps-dukes-of-hazzard/

:goldpissed:

A tv show for crying out loud?! Gimmie a break! How retarded are some people! I used to watch that show when I was a kid and loved it. Ain't nothing wrong with it. In fact, while browsing my local hobby store today, I accidentally came across a large scale model kit of the Dukes of Hazzard General Lee car. I quickly bought it for $40. Normally, I don't build cars, so I'll just keep it in the box and keep the model for collector value. AND YES, IT DOES HAVE THE CONFEDERATE FLAG DECAL IN THE BOX! And if I were to ever build the car and take it to a contest, I'd proudly put the Confederate flag decal on the roof of the car and would not take it off. :)

Offline Synaptic Road

• Male
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 06:42:40 pm »

This.  Like I said, it's just a "symbol" - something to symbolize a past event and all circumstances related.  Your quote does tie in nicely with my own post about "corruption," as said corruption is the reason people perpetuate racism and hatred in the first place.  In fact, this whole outcry to "eradticate the Confederate symbol" is in itself a testament to that corruption.  We should not forgot the Civil War - not because "it was a bad thing," but because "it's something we all should learn from."  Simply erasing a symbol of the Confederacy isn't going to change the fact that the Civil War is part of the United States' history, or the pre- and post-war circumstances.

When you put it this way, you could say that people "want to erase a past mistake."  Yeah, uh...how about people grow a pair, turn and face that mistake, and learn and grow stronger from it instead of doing what's essentially the complete opposite?  Banning the Confederate symbol is really no different from "running from mistakes" in this case, not to mention an act of disrespect to those who gave their lives in the war.

Offline ENOJI1

• Species: Aakor (wolf with wings)
  • NO GUTS, NO GLORY
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 11:30:56 am »
In my opinion, the flag itself should be removed because it represents the wrong part of America, not the one we stand for. (please note that this is my first post in the debate area)