Author Topic: Voter ID  (Read 9565 times)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Voter ID
« on: April 02, 2016, 12:59:48 pm »
Personally I think voter ID laws here in the U.S. A. are more about politicians wanting to limit
voting, though they claim it's all about voter fraud.. According to the media there is little evidence
of voter fraud.

It could be a coincidence that the disadvantaged are generally affected more than anyone else.
But I doubt it.

If they were really serious about containing voter fraud they would make voter ID cards free, and
make it easy for all registered voters to get them.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 01:06:47 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: Voter ID
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 01:02:25 pm »
For those of us not in the US, could you explain a bit about the laws and politics over there with regards to this topic?

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Literate Lycan

• Species: Gothic grey wolf
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 03:34:21 am »
On election day, voters go to their designated polling place to vote. Your polling place is determined by where you live and is usually in a place such as a fire station, community hall, school, or some other accessible place. Each polling place has 3-4 election officers who oversee the operation for the entire day. When you arrive, you give your name to one of the election officers who finds your name on a list. You sign next to your name to indicate that you are voting. Then you are given a ballot, which you take to a booth and mark your choices. Once you're done, the ballot is inserted inside a paper sleeve so that no one can see who you voted for. The ballot is then inserted into a machine which records your vote.

That's how it works in my suburban precinct in California. It is not necessary to present any form of ID.

The problem is that voting laws vary from state to state or even county to county. Certain states want to require voters to present identification before voting, such as a driver's license. The problem is that not everyone who's a registered voter carries ID, so if you don't have it you would be prohibited from voting. These registered voters without ID may be poor seniors, people who do not drive, marginalized and impoverished citizens. Advocates of voter ID laws claim it's to prevent voter fraud, but in actuality that's a very minor problem. When I sign the official register at the voting place I'm legally affirming who I say I am. The problem with voter ID laws is that it prevents certain people who are entitled to vote from casting ballots, and these people tend to vote more Democratic than Republican.

I am highly suspicious of voter ID laws. I don't buy the "prevent voter fraud" argument because voter fraud is minimal. I see the laws as an underhanded effort to deprive eligible citizens of the right to vote simply because they lack an ID card, and to reduce the number of voters in one party (Democrat) in favor of the other (Republican).

"All stories are about wolves..." -- Margaret Atwood, "Blind Assassin"

Avatar by Blitzy Arts : www.blitzy-arts.weebly.com

FA: www.furaffinity.net/user/varek-wolf
Twitter: @VarekWolf

Furry code: FCWh3a A- C D H+ M- P- R+ T W Z Sm- RLGP a+++ cm+ e+++ f h++++ i+ j p+

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 01:17:04 pm »
It's actually Photo ID that they are pushing for. We have had voter registration cards for a long time.

Loc, Literate Lycan explained it very well.  That's pretty much the same where I live in Missouri. But
my state is wanting to go with photo ID.. I also feel it's to make it harder for the poor or seniors to
vote. I am not pointing to any one party, but one gets the feeling it is to make it easier for those who
wish to cut benifits for the poor to get elected.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:20:22 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 07:11:13 am »
Need photo ID in New York to vote on anything that has a ballot.  They ask for it to confirm you are who you are and that you live in the address they have registered on the sheet.  You can get a state ID card that is not a driver's license.  Price is anywhere from $8 to $19 depending on how long you want the ID active for.  I don't see the big deal about verifying who you are at election time and having to show ID.
Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 12:01:44 pm »
Need photo ID in New York to vote on anything that has a ballot.  They ask for it to confirm you are who you are and that you live in the address they have registered on the sheet.  You can get a state ID card that is not a driver's license.  Price is anywhere from $8 to $19 depending on how long you want the ID active for.  I don't see the big deal about verifying who you are at election time and having to show ID.

Price of a photo id probably isn't a problem though some might have do with out a few
meals to get one.  The big problem is some states are using these id laws to limit voting by
the disabled, poor and elderly.. Make it difficult or time consuming to get one. Perhaps travel
many  miles due to the state only haveing a few places to get one.

Here in Missouri it's $11 for one at the same place people renew their auto licenses. I found
it odd that they had to send the information and a digital photo to the state capital. Then
wait for it to be mailed back to you. About 20 years ago they made it right on the spot for
$10 .  Makes me wonder why they changed it, and made it more expensive to process at
the same time. Perhaps it's the cost of the machine that puts a plastic cover on the card.
Would only need one at the capital instead of one for each photo site.

Wlith digital printing these days a person should be able to get online to register send a
photo file with it. Then the county could send you the voter id card with your picture
printed on it. Or go to a physical site to  register where they could print a card on the
spot. It should cost virtually nothing since the person doing the job is paid, busy or not.
The voter id card could have the picture printed on it when you get one.
oldrabbit.com

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 02:25:31 pm »
As far as I can see it. If a state wants you to have a voter card AND a photo ID then the state should provide both for FREE. There is NO excuse not to.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 11:54:20 am »
As far as I can see it. If a state wants you to have a voter card AND a photo ID then the state should provide both for FREE. There is NO excuse not to.

I agree. If the state feels there is a need and wants the ID then provide them free to
all registered voters.

I really think it's just a scheme to limit voting by minorities. If the GOP would move
back more to the center they would be more competive at the voting booth.Without
having to resort to dirty tricks. 

This country needs a strong 2 party system. Otherwise we are going to end up with some
radical groups trying to get elected to make laws that will limit freedoms to many people
that don't agree with them. People might think it's impossible, but if we move to a very
conservative supreme court many freedoms could disappear. Especially for minorities, gays,
and women.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 11:59:51 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline animagusurreal

• Finishing the Hat
  • Male
    • VividGroovy.com
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 12:25:42 am »
Today, I saw a political lawn sign that read:

"HONEST ABE says:

My vote = 1 +
My wife's vote = 1
= 2 votes

LYING HILARY says:

My vote = 1  +
3 dead people =
4 votes
I WIN!"

I suppose it's possible that some sort of fraud could happen in this election. But I tend not to trust a source that tries to boost its credibility by dropping the nickname of a president who's been dead for over 150 years. Notice how the sign depicts "Honest Abe" as having a spouse who votes along with him, while "Lying Hillary" votes alone, giving the impression that for every legit vote Hillary gets, Trump gets two. It seems to me the real purpose of the sign is to say, "No matter who wins the election, my guy really won."  And the election hasn't even happened yet.

DA         FA

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 12:34:43 pm »
Registered voters are dying all the time. There have been cases where they end up voting, but it's
rare, and would not likely change a state or national election.

Voting polls have people from both parties, and other volunteers. It would be difficult for someone
to pass them selves off as someone else. Also it would bring severe penalties to them as well.

I heard on the news that out of 1 billion votes less than 50 were considered suspicious. That would
cover 5 presidential elections with less than 10 fraudulent votes each.

Trump is crying rigged election because he thinks he may loose..
oldrabbit.com

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 08:49:14 pm »
Yep, use of Voter ID and other such programs have for a long time been used to suppress disadvantaged minorities... particularly in what are currently known as the red states. No points for guessing why...
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Avor

• Male
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 01:27:16 am »
Voter ID laws just seeem like a way to force the poor out of their vote. In BC a government photo ID takes $45. not much if your working.

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 06:16:26 am »
Locked due to gravedigging.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#