Author Topic: GrayWolf448's art  (Read 9470 times)

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
GrayWolf448's art
« on: October 26, 2013, 04:06:48 am »
so i finally started to try to improve my furry art lately most of the things i draw come from tutorials tho. so im wondering what you think about these drawings and if you have any tips for me to improve them. and i will not be offended by any of your criticism. ^^

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
Re: newest furry art
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 02:06:03 pm »
I like these!  (:

One thing you can do, aside from tutorials, is study the animals themselves you are modeling the furries after. In other words, for the wolf/dog/canine, you can look at reference photos of dogs and draw the base of your furry. Then change the eyes to be more toony, for example, or add a smile at the corners of the mouth, etc.

All in all, these are great! Keep up the good work!  :D
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 04:57:18 pm »
thx i have just started drawing them again so they could have some improvements ^^ and as for the look at real animals thing will not really help with my fursona but it could help with drawing other furries and when i finally do draw my fursona i have some experience in furry drawing :3 thx ill try doing that ^^

no idea why but i just had to participate in that survey ^^

Offline Wrangell

• Male
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 01:51:50 am »
They look rely cute! keep up the good work just keep at it everyday and your style will come with time! Just keep sketching! :D
Keep Smiling

Offline Jackie

• Species: Sherbet Red Panda
  • Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 08:20:18 am »
Every artist I have met has always told me, "Before you try the big stuff, Straight from the mind to the paper, Draw and sketch from life." When i say life i mean the clichè art class, model in the middle type. It's not all about drawing perfect, it's about being able to figure out where the mass is on an object, about catching the complex form of an image quickly before cleaning it up (Especially in animation) and in life you can see 3d better, much better in fact.

Try to get out of the habit of using boxes and circles to construct living things, sketch out the gesture, then you can think of a pose in you mind and sketch that instead of life. Drawing from life is the starting point of almost all artists  ;)

You may have seen my posts about screwbald, here are 2 real old posts about gesture drawing from her, They should help. Try doing what she suggests, who knows, in a year or so you may be able to think of an image in your head, do a quick gesture drawing of it,and go from there  ;)

Gesture drawings: http://screwbald.livejournal.com/19663.html#cutid1

Anthro form, (Breaking out of the box): http://screwbald.livejournal.com/19161.html?thread=133849

Remember, It's all about the practice, But make sure you stay calm and keep going, but have breaks of course ^_^

I remember seeing a quote stating that a study showed that, It takes around 10,000 hours of doing something to become an expert at it, and that you should fill a sketchbook a month at least. Just pull it out when you have free time, and sketch things around you, it doesn't matter if they are rough or bad or even just nearly scribbles, it will imprint on your mind and you will progress ithout even knowing it  :)

Good luck.

(Also, watch where you browse, If ya get me  ;) )

Edit: Thought I'd take 5 minutes to find some poses and do a few to show you human gestures. Remember it's about finding the motion of the person not the curves. (Used the poses from a video, now I can't find it, I'll send you the link when I do, He explains much better than me, I'll also send you a link to a gesture class website) after a while you'll get a feeling for the mass etc and you will be able to then flesh it out and add clothes/features etc.

Each sketch should take you about 40 seconds to a minute as a beginner, don't draw quickly, just draw smoothly, using C shaped curves, S shaped curves and lines. ;) remember it's about showing what is happening, not making the sketch look good.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 03:55:41 pm by The bear guy »
* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 07:28:17 pm »
well mostly i have been trying to improve the head and later ill try to add a body to the pictures. been thinking about using Gimp for art and see how well i do on the computer but i don't really have the privacy to use my desk top. my laptop is to weak to run gimp i think... been awile since i have started up gimp on this thing ^^ but my desk top is in my living room so no privacy there. im going to try to start up gimp tonight if i remember.

and i haven't really been using boxes/circles tried them before but i have no idea what i am doing with them :3 mostly have been drawing from tutorials and trying to replicate them then try to do my own art.

and ya i know what you mean by be careful where i look, iv ran into it a few times :goldlaugh: first from my brother before i know what a furry was he told me to go to a link that his friend sent me and..... ya i think you know what i saw. (reddit  :o)

thx for the links ill check them out ^^

Offline Jackie

• Species: Sherbet Red Panda
  • Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 07:40:54 pm »
Try and draw from life as I said though, It will give you an idea of how to show mass and motion, plus it will greatly increase your drawing of the body of anthros (human life drawing) and the heads of anthros (animal life drawing)  ;) practice makes perfect.

Just remember that as nice as tutorials are, They don't allow you to be your own artist and develop your own techniques, just keep trying and you will get there though. ^_^

Also, yeah, they have done 100's of, that stuff, they are beautifully well drawn and painted, (and that's from an art appreciation standpoint) just....NSFW  :D but they have done hundred of SFW things too ^^ Nordguard is their biggest thing and is completely safe  ;)
* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 03:18:28 am »
this one is not a furry picture but still some of my art ^^

finally found out how to post picture with flickr :goldlaugh:

Offline Wrangell

• Male
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 12:12:41 pm »
this one is not a furry picture but still some of my art ^^

finally found out how to post picture with flickr :goldlaugh:

Kit Kats make good paper weights. 
Keep Smiling

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 02:28:08 am »
yep :3 but sadly i will run out of the 21 19 i have in a few weeks. i think....
i kept all the kit kats and recies and put all the bad candy(ones i dont like) in the bowl for trick or treaters. most likely going to leave it at the front door and post a sign saying "take one" and hide in some bushes with NV goggles and if they take more than one i come out of the bushes with my 400fps airsoft gun and say "read the sign" (if my dad will allow me to bring it into the front yard 3:)

oh and im working on a new project with korvre. http://forums.furtopia.org/sharing-artistry/kor%27vre-greywolf448-colab-art-project/msg960077/#msg960077 and wile waiting to do that i will be working on spacecraft :D

Offline Wrangell

• Male
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 03:26:35 am »
yep :3 but sadly i will run out of the 21 19 i have in a few weeks. i think....
i kept all the kit kats and recies and put all the bad candy(ones i dont like) in the bowl for trick or treaters. most likely going to leave it at the front door and post a sign saying "take one" and hide in some bushes with NV goggles and if they take more than one i come out of the bushes with my 400fps airsoft gun and say "read the sign" (if my dad will allow me to bring it into the front yard 3:)

oh and im working on a new project with korvre. http://forums.furtopia.org/sharing-artistry/kor%27vre-greywolf448-colab-art-project/msg960077/#msg960077 and wile waiting to do that i will be working on spacecraft :D

Resse's and Kit Kats are some of my favorites!! I like the space ship thing going to! I have a close furry friend that makes ship models and does green screening with them. He is a member of a video production group I'm in.
Keep Smiling

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
Re: GrayWolf448's art
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 12:20:19 am »
well just finished 3 new drawings completely not furry related tho. first one is from a game so the design is not mine and im still using kit kats for paper weights ^^

Offline Sergalicious

• Species: northern sergal
  • I need some snuggs pretty bad now...
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 12:28:24 am »
nice here is what i think:
first one; fighter version of UNSC frigate ( i know you based it of one) ( you told me a bit ago)
2nd one; some civilian vessel
3rd; c&c mammoth tank and halo scorpion mashup
I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts...
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 01:05:13 am »
well the first one is not based of a UNSC frigate it is one. and you where close with the tank. i got the idea from halo and planetside 2, thats where the slick light tank shape and the armor plates come from (black panels) comes from composite armor on vehicles from PS2

Offline Sergalicious

• Male
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 01:10:36 am »
looks pretty halo to me...

* checks halo wiki*

yep its from halo allright. a paris class frigate http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Paris-class_heavy_frigate

actually now that i look at it is not an exact but it is defiantly based on it

actualy ( again) its a mix of them look.
and i havent played planetside 2 so i couldn't see that.
Upon my liar's chair
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline WhiteAkitaKeiko

• Species: hug loving American Akita
  • I will find you, and I will hug you
  • Female
    • My FA
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 01:38:40 pm »
Your art is really good :) . I never was good drawing tanks and spacecraft, so I admire you  :D
Icon by myself

Choose wisely who you hate and hunt.
Because the shot you've used..might've been fatal

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 08:36:59 pm »
Your art is really good :) . I never was good drawing tanks and spacecraft, so I admire you  :D

thx ^^ just wished i was better at anthros/furries

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 04:06:03 am »
well back to school after this 3 day weekend. should have a few more pics by friday.

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 01:05:09 am »
^_^ Reads the bear guys post. Dammit I have absolutely no inspiration lately XD I've watched another 30 or so episodes of anime ^.^ Guess I'll start trying to do some gesture drawing. (I've never done such a thing). Thats how bad my art classes were :/ taught me nothing.  Now what can I do for gesture drawings? I have no clue what to draw ^_^ I'll probably just make up some different figures :P

Edit: I found this for gesture drawing. I think it will be very helpful for myself ^.^ http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 01:53:27 am by Sciex »

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 01:35:23 am »
same i haven't really had motivation on drawing..... and still don't have a tablet. got 3 new drawings worth posting im just to lazy to take a picture of them and post it. also i cant get good lighting on them so the pictures don't turn out one. only place with good lighting is my desk but that is in the living room. my dad still doesn't know im a furry and my brother isn't much of encouragement and usually points out error in a not so friendly way (he jokes about my drawings) so i don't really like my brother seeing them, i know i can improve on it just that my brother saying that stuff just kinda..... makes me not want to show them to him. hard to describe the feeling....

Offline Sergalicious

• Male
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 02:08:35 am »
You could scan it instead of a picture.
Upon my liar's chair
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 03:08:07 am »
don't have a scanner. i do have my dad's printer but i don't know how to use it....

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 03:12:47 am »
same i haven't really had motivation on drawing..... and still don't have a tablet. got 3 new drawings worth posting im just to lazy to take a picture of them and post it. also i cant get good lighting on them so the pictures don't turn out one. only place with good lighting is my desk but that is in the living room. my dad still doesn't know im a furry and my brother isn't much of encouragement and usually points out error in a not so friendly way (he jokes about my drawings) so i don't really like my brother seeing them, i know i can improve on it just that my brother saying that stuff just kinda..... makes me not want to show them to him. hard to describe the feeling....

The thing about your brother reminds me about my sister. She basicly told me:
- I can't draw
- No matter how hard I try to learn I'll never be able to draw well
- I suck at drawing
- I'm weird

As you can tell I take quite a bit of hate from my sister. ^__^ I still try though.

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 03:20:53 am »
ill pm you about what my brother says. don't want this topic to get too off topic.

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 04:41:21 am »
2 of the 3 pictures i was talking about. the first picture of my fursona drawn by me ^^ this is also the first time i got it to look 3d pretty well. before the biggest problem i had before was the left (his left) cheek, just couldn't make the transition from the forehead to the cheek look good before. now i know how to draw it ^^ looks better in person tho... the picture messes with the colors

this is a practice i did before so i could get the head right