Author Topic: Miser's Journey into the third dimension.  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Miser

• Passive Vengeance.
  • Male
    • Furraffinity
Miser's Journey into the third dimension.
« on: January 11, 2016, 05:48:35 pm »
Greetings,

I have recently taken a liking to 3D artwork once again, which I wasn't expecting, considering I deal with 3D modeling as my job, but it's mostly for products and architecture, so I don't focus on what I would really enjoy, character creation and animation and such. so I have made a rather hefty investment in purchasing a couple of 3D packages that would enable me to pursue this.

I was already aware of the spectrum of creating an entire animation by oneself, but it's something I plan on accomplishing.

After some tutorials on the basics of modeling in MODO I tried my first 3D model, obviously, of Miser, but that one didn't turn out to ... well, alive, we can say.

I decided to take pause and turn to a different method, 3D sculpting, so I grabbed myself a demo of Zbrush and onward I went, with surprisingly good results for the first couple of tries using that software.

And now back at the first one I am once again. After some planing beforehand and some topology brushing up, I believe I managed a somewhat successful and clean mesh.

I was supposed to try texturing next, but that's a pain in the butt, so I skipped over to rigging, which I am currently following a tutorial series on. Rigging is actually quite fun, but much more technical than the polygon modeling, but I wouldn't say the modeling is artistic as well. It's like building a puzzle, which you don't know how large it is, what you're supposed to be building, and you have to make the pieces yourself.

Later on I will probably make an actual anthro model since I've been told bipeds are easier to rig than quadrupeds, and that will give me some basis to start animation, which is really my end goal here.

And don't forget;

PRAISE THE SUN \[T]/
If I could have ANYTHING in the world, I would like a sandwich.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Miser's Journey into the third dimension.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 06:02:32 pm »
They all look really good. I like that lizard head a lot. With the right colors and textures, that pic would be good reference for a fursuit head. ;)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 11:42:23 am »
Nice work. Thanks for sharing. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 12:09:01 pm »
Those heads are amazing (is that an Auxenon I see?). Very nice work.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Taivana

• Species: Coyote
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 06:06:57 pm »
 These models are awesome, how did I only just come across them? Keep up the great work! :D
Awoo

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 11:29:05 am »
Your doing a nice job.

I know from experience it takes a lot of work to create organic
creatures in 3D.
oldrabbit.com