Author Topic: My very first full sheet watercolor painting.  (Read 2551 times)

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
My very first full sheet watercolor painting.
« on: March 26, 2017, 04:57:42 pm »
My very first full sheet painting!!! I've spend some time trying to get the hang of mixing, color intensity and layering water colors. Then yesterday I was watching a guy on youtube paint. He gave the best advice I've every heard uttered. "Try to screw it up." AWESOME!

12x16 Achecs 140 lb cold press paper.
M Graham and Winsor Newton paints
99% painted with a 3/4 inch flat 'Silver Brush' Black Velvit.
Some detail added with a no. 8 round. Same brand.
Signed on lower right corner CTR. ( Cause the Rat )
Home made watercolor paper stretcher.

First picture is the first wash.

Finished work!

I think I'll continue trying this scene till I get all the bugs worked out.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Holt5

• Species: Artistic theologian-philosopher
  • Male
    • My home base!
Re: My very first full sheet watercolor painting.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 02:27:55 am »
That is really awesome, man!

That's a really interesting technique you used: I see you left the detailed/forefront parts of the environment untouched in the first picture. I'm guessing that's what helped it pop out from the background with a little extra highlighting, while the background is slightly muddled from the base coloration. And then "trying to mess it up" makes any sort of inconsistency look like a uniform, proper part of the painting.

This might be your first full sheet painting, and I may not know a lot about painting - but I would assume this was done by a seasoned painter if I wasn't told otherwise.  :)

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you will end up not doing anything for anybody." - Malcolm Bane

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 06:50:36 am »
If your definition of a seasoned painter is someone who's painted their interior walls.  :) I haven't really painted anything sense high school. And that was back in 1981. And that was in art class as assigned projects with oil's and acrylics. My only history with watercolor is finger painting. And that was a very long time ago. I've tried a few small experiments.  Getting my feet wet so to speak. Mostly experimenting with mixing colors. Trying to find how many different shades of one color I can make with the paints I have. Nope. This is my very first attempt at a full sheet watercolor painting.

Watercolor is a series layering color on color. Starting out with your lightest and going darker. The first pic is the first step I did in that layering. The foundation of the painting.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 10:54:32 am »
Nice job on the watercolor. It's good to see something new.

I never was any good at watercolor. Just couldn't get the detail
with it like you have.

I found pencil and paint more to my liking.

Keep up the good work. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com