Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Madam Glitch

• Species: Dragon
  • The Madam of the Glitches
  • Female
    • DeviantART
Dungeons and Dragons
« on: April 25, 2015, 09:00:09 pm »
Is anyone here playing Dungeons and Dragons who would be willing to have a discussion with someone who is getting into the game?
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"
--Mewtwo

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 09:33:37 pm »
Love it. Been playing computer games with DnD rules since 1998, and playing tabletop since 2005.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 09:47:02 am »
Awesome! Do you mind if I ask you a question about creating my first character. This may be a stupid question, but I'm just a little confused. I am on the part of my D&D character where I am doing what equipment and gold that he has. There are some things that I get for being a Wood Elf rogue. Do I have to roll for the gold that I have and then subtract the prices of the items from the gold that Xander (my character) has, or is it free since he is granted it because of his race/class?
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"
--Mewtwo

Offline Loc

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 01:01:58 pm »
That's something to ask your DM - Different DMs will have different opinions about it - One of mine didn't count costs of starting equipment from a player's gold no matter the race and class.

RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 01:20:08 pm »
Alright, thanks for the answer. I'll leave that part blank until I start a game with a group. What is some advice that you have for first time players?
--Mewtwo

Offline Loc

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 02:02:12 pm »
Keep a Player's Handbook or a PDF of it to hand, at least the relevant sections for your character class.
Try not to be too self-concious. It can be hard the first time round to not feel a little silly, but everyone else is being just as silly as you are.
Remember that just because you know what a creature is or what abilities it has, your character may not. Try not to transfer knowledge from yourself to your character.

Other than that, it depends what edition you're playing.

RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 02:02:48 pm »
Only put experience points where you need them. Don't try to be good at everything.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 04:21:30 pm »
Keep a Player's Handbook or a PDF of it to hand, at least the relevant sections for your character class.
Try not to be too self-concious. It can be hard the first time round to not feel a little silly, but everyone else is being just as silly as you are.
Remember that just because you know what a creature is or what abilities it has, your character may not. Try not to transfer knowledge from yourself to your character.

Other than that, it depends what edition you're playing.

I'm playing 5th edition, since it's the newest edition out. And thanks for the advice. I have the PDF of the basic rules on my computer, but I'm planning on planning on getting the Player's handbook this coming week if the game store nearby has them in stock when I get the money. And your advice is interesting. I never thought about that before. Hmmm.... That can work into my character quite well methinks.

Only put experience points where you need them. Don't try to be good at everything.

Ooh, that's some good advice. Thank you. Would you guys suggest having the first gaming session over the internet or in person for a newbie?
--Mewtwo

Offline Loc

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 04:35:39 pm »
Depends on your personality. I do better over Skype calls because I can't relax well in a room full of people where I feel I'm being watched.

RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 04:52:03 pm »
Ah. Skype seems like something that would be cool to use.
--Mewtwo

Offline Avor

• Male
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 08:05:51 pm »
I play 3.5 pnp.

My hearing is so bad I can hardly use the phones, but I love D&D

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 09:27:15 pm »
I heard that a lot of people liked 3.5, but I have no clue why (I'm not eell versed in the differences between the editions). Why do a lit of people like 3.5?
--Mewtwo

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 05:00:19 am »
It has a lot of content, tons of character and class options and runs very smoothly. Jumping into 3.5 without restriction can make you feel overwhelm because of how big it actually is so restricting it to a few of the books would be better for those just starting out.

5th edition is very similar but some of the down sides to 3.5 have been smoothed out and some of the complexity has been removed. Since 5th only came out last year it hasn't had time to get as much content as 3.5 so you'll be able to learn about it and new content at a much easier rate.

If you haven't decided on which edition to use I'd go with 5th because it's smaller and currently supported. If you want something more complex later on you can transition over to 3.5 assuming 5th doesn't bring out new content fast enough. The similarities are enough too so that moving characters between them shouldn't be difficult as well.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 09:09:31 am »
Ah. Sounds like 3.5 was fun. And I've decided on 5th edition because it's the one that's currently being used right now.
--Mewtwo

Offline Loc

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 10:05:49 am »
3.5 is still my favourite (I started DnD on 2nd rules), but it was immensely complicated. I knew it back to front and still needed to constantly cross-reference things. There were some insane builds (such as Pun Pun the kobold, a basket-weaver that could weave baskets fast enough for it to be a viable combat tactic, and a bear that had a high enough charisma score to fool people into thinking it was a person).

RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 12:05:47 pm »
Oh wow. I would love to meet that bear.
--Mewtwo

Offline Loc

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 01:23:35 pm »
Google "Sir Bearington". There'll be a few hits for him. Rogue with maxed out disguise and bluff, took a prestige class in spy.

You could do some stupid stuff in 3.5. I miss that.

RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 01:46:18 pm »
*Reads post on him. Starts laughing* That is pure genius. Hopefully 5th Edition will allow stuff like that to happen. It would be very awesome and entertaining to do so.
--Mewtwo

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 06:15:12 pm »
I got the Player's Handbook today. I have a question for you guys. I want to play a Dragonborn Rogue. Are Dragonborn's and Rogues a good mix?
--Mewtwo

Offline Loc

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 06:30:06 pm »
Due to dragonborn getting natural additional points in strength, constitution and charisma, they tend towards classes that use those, such as fighter/tank classes or sorcerers.
HOWEVER, that does not mean they would not also make a good rogue, perhaps with more of an emphasis on close up fighting rather than archery. Any race can do a decent job in most classes - DnD does not heavily restrict or penalise odd combinations.

RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 01:27:33 pm »
Ah, alright. At the moment, my Dragonborn character has the highest stat in both Dexterity and Intelligence, followed by constitution, wisdom, and then strength and charisma are matched with a stat of 10 each
--Mewtwo

Offline Tanu

• Species: Raccoon
  • Just a regular Office Raccoon.
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 10:04:44 pm »
Anyone here tried playing a non/minimal-combat character?

If so what class did you go with?

As for myself I took a rogue and made him a legitimate thief with a focus on disguise, climb, move silent, and slight of hand. I had a +15 to stealing anything I wanted by level 6.

Unfortunately for me I was teamed up with a psychotic fighter, a barbarian (acting as my personal guard), and a political rogue...we were waging a war against a Lich.  :'(
Celebrate who you are.

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 09:07:53 pm »
I haven't tried a non-combat character. Then again, I've only started playing, so I haven't tried to make such a character. Right now I'm making a Dragonborn Warlock that is attuned with the Archfey.
--Mewtwo

Offline Tanu

• Species: Raccoon
  • Just a regular Office Raccoon.
  • Male
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 02:54:52 am »
I have one more thing I'd like to ask.

I've been working on this 3.5 campaign setting for a long time and decided I could use some constructive criticism or ideas.
It is a Mobile Suit Gundam setting in the Universal Century One Year War. I have the concept of three playable factions that the players will be involved with.
Of course there is the usual two being Zeon and Earth's Federation however, I added in a guerrilla force that focuses on sabotage, and theft all the while using old Mobile Suits that are non-cannon but fit well enough.

I could use the help of anyone interested. I don't have rules set in place or any stats that fit well with the mobile suits.
If you want to see the document I've made so far just PM me.
Celebrate who you are.

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 03:55:03 am »
Might be worth looking into gurps for that setting. It's very adaptable for different genres.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*