Author Topic: Political Correctness  (Read 11019 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Political Correctness
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 08:48:12 am »
Well if we're all gonna get PC in this thread, then I have a complaint.  >:( My fursona species is an Alaskan Malamute, NOT a "husky". Please refer to me by my proper species. Thanks. :)

:D  :D

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 11:58:25 am »
.......Yes it is. Why would you not call people what they prefer to be called?

Well it's like if i wanted everyone to start calling me Japanese.   It'd be blatantly untrue and rather absurd.

It's calling them something they're not based off of their feelings...  More politically correct than it would be reality based...  They are not from India.

But that being said it's not exactly something i'm going to go starting arguments or fights over.   o.o

There's a difference for me between what i will say in a social situation and what my real opinions are... As i said before,  I have no desire to hurt or harm people,  and will /never/ go out of my way to do so.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 04:25:56 pm by Alsek »

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2010, 01:16:28 pm »
I'm not exactly the most PC person in the world. Which gets in a bit of strife now and then, admittedly. Typically only when someone is hypersensitive and has a stick up there butt, honestly.

People being PC has caused more problems and conflict than being non-PC ever has.

I don't mean, go around and use offensive language to tick people off, that is different. I mean that PC terms such as _____ American (take your pick) is generally factually wrong and ridiculous - unless you actually are from said place and immigrated, legally, and now hold citizenship here. [Now is where I get to the extent it causes problems at times] Terms like "queer"...I refuse to use, even in the "positive" PC way. If someone calls me "queer" (even if meant in a positive way) it is wrong. I am not. I take more offense to that "PC" terminology than to being straight out called a fag.

So...yeah. I am against this whole PC thing.

But, if I must, for the sake of peace and non-conflict, I can be PC...even though I hate it.
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 03:36:43 am »
Like i said,  it's not a matter of what they prefer...

.......Yes it is. Why would you not call people what they prefer to be called?

FWIW, the official Smithsonian museum about U.S. indigenous cultures is called the "National Museum of the American Indian." That naming decision was made with the buy-in of lots and lots and lots of tribes.

Exactly my point. The use of the term "Native American" Is patently silly since I'm Caucasian and I am also a "Native" American for the simple reason. I was born in the US for Foxtrot's Sake!!! The Canadian term "First Nations People" makes far more sense since, in a sense, the tribes were different nations.
Spit and bailing wire hold my mind together.
Translation: I need a hug

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 08:57:52 am »
Political correctness is like putting a bandaid over a gapping wound. It ultimately solves nothing.

By bog, mooshi! I couldn't have expressed it better <3

Well if we're all gonna get PC in this thread, then I have a complaint.  >:( My fursona species is an Alaskan Malamute, NOT a "husky". Please refer to me by my proper species. Thanks. :)

:D  :D

I'm sorry, I thought you were a Dewhusky malamute. I'll update my notes.
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 09:28:07 am »
We should so have a national PC day to parody it by overdoing it and showing the world how rediculious it is.

Just imagine the sillyness of it all. Say you saw a hotdog vendor. "Excuse me kind vendor of a mobile establishment that specializes in portable and edible food derived from sausage that originated in Germany! May I ask, how much of my currency must I transfer to purchase your wares?" :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 09:30:56 am by Mooshi »

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 11:49:37 pm »
We should so have a national PC day to parody it by overdoing it and showing the world how rediculious it is.

Just imagine the sillyness of it all. Say you saw a hotdog vendor. "Excuse me kind vendor of a mobile establishment that specializes in portable and edible food derived from sausage that originated in Germany! May I ask, how much of my currency must I transfer to purchase your wares?" :D

Begging your pardon, good sir, but as a user of legally acquired software, I object to your use of the word "wares". Might I kindly suggest the word "product" instead?

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 10:03:35 pm »
Begging your pardon, good sir, but as a user of legally acquired software, I object to your use of the word "wares". Might I kindly suggest the word "product" instead?
I mark this as the spot in which I've officially lost track of who's joking and who's being serious...

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 11:09:56 pm »
I mark this as the spot in which I've officially lost track of who's joking and who's being serious...
Actually, it's a case of ha ha, only serious.

Offline animagusurreal

• Finishing the Hat
  • Male
    • VividGroovy.com
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2010, 05:34:28 am »
I have a lot of thoughts on this subject, but for now, here's Margaret Atwood's short story, "There Was Once", a satire on the difficulty of telling a simple fairy tale in a PC world:

http://icarus-fallof.blogspot.com/2007/04/there-was-once-margaret-atwood.html

It's on some blog, and I have no idea what the blog is about. It's just the only place online that I could find the story via Google. (Although the blogger credits Atwood, some of the commenters seem to mistakenly think the blogger wrote it.)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:08:15 am by animagusurreal »

DA         FA

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2010, 07:06:53 pm »
Another thing I really despise is people becoming all PC during the holidays.  :goldpissed:

Take Easter for example. Every Easter time, I would read or hear various reports about how shopping malls were banning the Easter Bunny from the mall, or I'd read where you couldn't say Happy Easter, but had to say Happy Spring Garden Day or some other nonsense phrase.  :P It really ticks me off that people are getting so PC about the holidays.  :goldpissed: If I want to say Happy Easter or Merry Christmas, etc., etc., then I'm going to damn well say it because that's how I was raised! When the world starts instituting Political Correctness Police Forces and starts issuing fines, then I'll change.........maybe, but it'll be over my dead furry body!  :goldpissed:  :goldbloody:

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2010, 07:14:21 pm »
Another thing I really despise is people becoming all PC during the holidays.  :goldpissed:

Take Easter for example. Every Easter time, I would read or hear various reports about how shopping malls were banning the Easter Bunny from the mall, or I'd read where you couldn't say Happy Easter, but had to say Happy Spring Garden Day or some other nonsense phrase.  :P It really ticks me off that people are getting so PC about the holidays.  :goldpissed: If I want to say Happy Easter or Merry Christmas, etc., etc., then I'm going to damn well say it because that's how I was raised! When the world starts instituting Political Correctness Police Forces and starts issuing fines, then I'll change.........maybe, but it'll be over my dead furry body!  :goldpissed:  :goldbloody:

Can't STAND those people!

I'm Jewish, but I have no desire or intent to flaunt any sort of "I DON'T CELEBRATE YOUR HOLIDAY!! DON'T BE SO IGNORATN!!" around. When people do wish me a merry christmas, I say the same to them, and go on my way  :). What reason do they have to just assume that I don't celebrate Christmas?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 07:16:39 pm by Shim »

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2010, 07:15:02 pm »
Lol.

Kobuk,

At my job,  they celibate every holiday of every religion of everyone that is working there (i work at a big company) including Diwali (a Hindu holiday,  the festival of lights), religious holidays from Asia,  and Kwanzaa.

I find it extremely confusing that,  when Christmas roles around,  it is written into regulation that it must be referred to as a, "Holiday party," in order to be, "Inclusive."

I mean... To me... inclusive would seem to imply that you include all of the holidays and not just some peoples.   I feel like i'm missing something.

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2010, 07:29:47 pm »
Take Easter for example. Every Easter time, I would read or hear various reports about how shopping malls were banning the Easter Bunny from the mall

What!! How dare they ban Easter Bunnies! They are objectively the best holiday mascot of all! >:(

THIS MEANS WAR.

*draws up a protest sign and sets off for the nearest mall* >:(

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2010, 07:32:41 pm »
 :D
Lol PC backfire.

Say hello to the "Spring break bunny", greeting all the kids who aren't in school that week :D
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2010, 08:07:48 pm »
Say hello to the "Spring break bunny", greeting all the kids who aren't in school that week :D

'Channukah Harry' is going to come deilver your presents  :goldpissed:

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2010, 08:56:08 pm »
LAWL WUT  :D
Though I don't like creepy strangers breaking & entering, and littering in my house. Like, seriously guys. D:
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2010, 04:44:38 am »
Meh, Merry Chistma-channu-kwanza. :P
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2010, 05:10:48 pm »
Well I agree there's some silly things that we "must" do to avoid being politically insensitive. I mean, can't people just say "Merry christmas" and not feel offended?
I mean, would you feel offended if I wished you a happy Ramadan?
WOULD YOU!?  :o

Offline animagusurreal

• Finishing the Hat
  • Male
    • VividGroovy.com
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 08:14:29 am »
I agree. Wishing someone a Merry/Happy (insert holiday here), or Happy Holidays, is generally meant as a nice gesture. It's sort of ironic that people get offended by it, because the whole point of all these sayings is to spread goodwill and cheer.

I generally default to Happy Holidays because that covers everyone. (Although some people also get offended at that). However, if someone wishes me Merry Christmas, I wish them Merry Christmas back, and if it was Happy (insert holiday here) instead, I would also respond with Happy (whatever holiday they said). I'm about as un-religious as a person can be, but I'm not offended by any of these sayings.

DA         FA

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 02:00:57 pm »
I generally default to Happy Holidays because that covers everyone. (Although some people also get offended at that).
That's probably from people that claim there is a "war on Christmas". Which is stupid. It's basically getting mad at people for trying to be more inclusive. In a way, it's a good illustration of how it's not possible to be completely non-offensive to everyone.

I agree that there is no reason to get upset at someone wishing you a happy whatever.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2010, 02:31:17 pm »
Kinda remindes me of the Dane Cook bit. Telling an atheist "god bless you" after a sneeze and having a fit ensue afterwards. >.>

Offline Shabbernigdo

• Species: Sergal
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2010, 03:27:22 pm »
Kinda remindes me of the Dane Cook bit. Telling an atheist "god bless you" after a sneeze and having a fit ensue afterwards. >.>

the whole atheist / christian fight stuff is retarded.  The people who bicker on bothsides are morons.

If an atheist sneezed and a christian said bless you they should just take it as a kindess and move on.  Not get a butt hurt over it.

Same with saying merry christmas. Im not religous at all but im still gonna say it and if it offends some one o well. I gotta put up and tolorate a ton of stuff on a daily basis i would think it wouldent kill any one to hear people say merry christmas a month out of the year.
For all the grammar/spellin Nazis
Yur just mad cuz u kant speel as gud as mee,

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2010, 09:12:08 pm »
Well it's always struck me as funny how we use "bless you" after a sneeze... but honestly, it's just an expression.
I guess some people do have their priorities on how important they consider some stuff, but I think it might be making a big deal out of a small matter.

Offline CiceroKit

• I'll get back to you on that
  • Female
    • My FA page
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2010, 01:49:00 am »
"Native American"

See,  unlike, "African American," that one actually makes sense.  When Columbus, "discovered," America the original thought was that he'd ended up in India.  That's why they were called Indians as far as i know.  Seeing as how they're not from India,  rather,  Natives of the north American continent,  it makes a lot more sense.

It doesn't even have anything to do with political correctness to me.  I wont call a north American Native a native of the Indian subcontinent because that's not what they are.

Traceable amounts of Cherokee,  Choctaw and Blackfoot here...  Along with about 8 other bloodlines.

Alsek, I totally agree. I have many friends from India AND many friends who are Native Americans. Having more CORRECT terms saves a lot of confusion. I think that was part of the goal of PC language. This topic is soooo 20 years ago though. I do think that any group of people has the right to "own" the derogatory comments against them. And that is something that predates PC language. I am reminded of something that comedian Lenny Bruce would use in his acts back in the 1960s, initially shocking audience members, but making the statement that if you own a hurtful word, it can stop hurting. Hence the reason for rappers using the "N" word. Does that make it okay for someone to use it in a hurtful context? No. Is it protected speech? To a degree. Hate speech is a murky area. One must discern if a real threat is made to someone, and sometimes it is. Of course no such language should be permitted in the work place. Everyone deserves to be able to do their job without being made uncomfortable.

As for equal opportunity employment and affirmative action, they are two different things, but they are also the same. How are they the same? They are myths. Nice sentiments that actually seldom get practiced. Try to prove someone didn't get hired, or didn't get admitted to college based on either of these. Good luck with that. But I know how vilified such things are, because the people without need for either like to shield themselves with this. "I didn't get into this college because they had to meet quotas," or "I didn't get the job because they only wanted to hire women to meet the quota," without examining their own short comings. A homeless man my grandpa helped out was complaining that he lost his job as a bartender because bars in the area only wanted to hire cute girls. He couldn't face the real reason that they wouldn't hire him, that he was an alcoholic. Oh well, that is human nature.

Am I fan of Political Correctness? Not really. Do I find it silly? No. I just think that if there is a more accurate way to say something, we should. It avoids a lot of confusion.
Artist. Educator. Activist. Writer.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/cicerokit/
Cicero Kit on Second Life

Being a furry artist is a sideline; I am a public relations professional by trade as well as adjunct faculty at two technical colleges in Wisconsin. I also freelance as a graphic designer and journalist and have had an editorial comic series published. Anything you want to know? Ask.