Author Topic: Return of the Werewolf  (Read 13391 times)

Offline Scrimno

• 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • Male
    • Scrimno's FA
Return of the Werewolf
« on: November 15, 2010, 05:35:06 pm »
Slots are open for the next Werewolf game! I thought the last game went well enough to do another one, perhaps with some changes in rules and roles. So if you're interested, speak up or PM me. There's no limit to the number that can play! I would also appreciate any help with recruitment. I'll go over the full rules again before we officially begin. The tentative start date is the last Sunday in November, the 28th!

I'll add players to the roster as they sign up:

1: Me (moderator)
2: RedYoshi
3: Kaloth
4: Saloonka
5: Vararam
6: Cimarron
--CLOSED--

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 12:32:18 pm by Scrimno »
Join Return of the Werewolf with me! I'm looking for more players! Go to http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php/topic,40266.0.html

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
Re: Return of the Werewolf
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 12:47:53 am »
...Since today was supposed to be the start of the next game, I'm bumping this thread.

Do we have at least two more interested people on these forums willing to take a shot at this game?
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 01:49:23 am »
Me

Offline Scrimno

• Male
    • Scrimno's FA
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 10:11:41 am »
Sorry, we still don't have enough to play right now :(
Join Return of the Werewolf with me! I'm looking for more players! Go to http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php/topic,40266.0.html

Offline Scrimno

• Male
    • Scrimno's FA
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 10:22:33 am »
I posted a journal on my FA page to see if I could get any bites, but the only one who seemed interested never noted me here.

We could start on any Sunday with the minimum number of people, but larger groups would obviously enrich the game.

As a side note, I'll have to suspend this game if it interferes with FC, but I'll be running/playing it live there :3

Offline redyoshi49q

• Male
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 02:05:32 pm »
I just put in a plug for this game on a recently formed Lupus FA group.

Speaking of, that group is here, if anybody's interested.
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Cimarron

• A Little Inappropriate
  • Male
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 10:40:17 pm »
After chatting with RedYoshi... count me in!
Dont fursecute me yo!

Offline Yip

• Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 01:35:07 am »
That brings us up to the minimum right?

Of course, more would probably be better.

Offline Scrimno

• Male
    • Scrimno's FA
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 11:30:46 am »
Most likely. I'll note Kaloth and Saloonka and see if we can get playing by Sunday. Glad to have you, Cimarron! Good recruiting RedYoshi!

Offline Yip

• Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 05:38:10 pm »
Before the game starts, I'm gonna throw a disclaimer up: for the purposes of the game, I'm giving myself permission to be deceitful as needed.

(The purpose of this is so I won't feel bad if ever I'm in a position where, for the sake of the game, I need to say something I know isn't true.)

Offline Scrimno

• Male
    • Scrimno's FA
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 07:04:04 pm »
If you're a villager you won't Need to be deceitful.

Offline Yip

• Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 08:05:21 pm »
If you're a villager you won't Need to be deceitful.
I know. As I said, "as needed".  Thing is, I tend to be a very honest individual (some would say to a fault). So this disclaimer is really for my benefit as other people probably expect the possibility of deceit from anyone playing this game anyways.

Offline redyoshi49q

• Male
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 08:54:48 pm »
Before the game starts, I'm gonna throw a disclaimer up: for the purposes of the game, I'm giving myself permission to be deceitful as needed.

(The purpose of this is so I won't feel bad if ever I'm in a position where, for the sake of the game, I need to say something I know isn't true.)

By my interpretation, the mechanics of this game implicitly permit deceit within the context of the game itself.  After all, the alternative stipulation (that no player lies as a part of the game) severely breaks the game mechanics; there's no point to the game if there werewolves must answer truthfully when queried for their identities.  Consequently, players expect to be fed at least some misinformation; it's not like lying in different contexts where others expect you to be telling the truth.

There's no harm from your disclaimer, but in my opinion, it's redundant.

(*edit:  It seems what *I* said ended up being redundant as well.  I probably should have read the post before at something a little less than 9000 wpm...  In retrospect, I fail at reading (again).

My apologies for the redundancy.*)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:45:04 am by redyoshi49q »
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Scrimno

• Male
    • Scrimno's FA
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 01:50:06 am »
I like you. I kill you last :)

Offline Kaloth

• Something goes here
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 05:44:40 am »
I like you. I kill you last :)

Remember when I said I'd kill you last? I LIED!

(Also I'm still in.)

Offline Scrimno

• Male
    • Scrimno's FA
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 12:10:24 am »
Awesome

Offline Scrimno

• Male
    • Scrimno's FA
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 01:12:16 am »
I think most people here pretty much know the rules. The only difference in this next game is that there will be a Wizard instead of a Furry. The Wizard is on the Werewolf's side and asks who the Seer is once per night. Neither the Wizard nor the Werewolf know who each other are at first.

You can blame Vararam for this twist.

Offline Yip

• Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 02:38:36 am »
You can blame Vararam for this twist.
I will accept that fully. ;)

So... thats just 5 players? (not counting the moderator)

2 Villagers
1 Seer
1 Wizard
1 Werewolf.

Is that correct?
Do the seer and wizard get first night visions? Or do they have to wait until after the first lynching?

Offline redyoshi49q

• Male
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 02:49:51 am »
Also, if the Werewolf kills a Seer or Wizard, does the Seer or Wizard get their vision for that night?  And are we still doing the "talking dead" game mechanics?
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Yip

• Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 03:47:08 am »
I don't think we should use all three (talking dead, visions for the dying, and first night visions). That might make the sensing roles a little -too- powerful. Then again, I've never played it that way, so I don't know.

I'd kind of like to try first night visions as it might give the group more to go on for the first day. However, judging from the past two games, both times the seer marked the wolf on the first try (both when I was the seer, and when Ying was the seer). So... I don't know if that was just getting lucky, or if it's just more likely than I'm giving it credit for.  In any case, with the sorcerer wizard in play, if the seer did spot the wolf on opening night that wouldn't be devastating to the game; the first day would still be quite eventful. (the sorcerer wizard shouldn't let that accusation stand uncontested.)

I'm mostly against talking dead, except that it's impossible to enforce a rule of silence in an online version of the game. And thus talking dead is easier in that respect.

Offline Scrimno

• Male
    • Scrimno's FA
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 05:31:14 am »
Do the seer and wizard get first night visions? Or do they have to wait until after the first lynching?

I was actually entertaining the idea of first night visions because we have had such small groups. The fact that you guys brought it up just confirmed that it would be worth trying.

Also, if the Werewolf kills a Seer or Wizard, does the Seer or Wizard get their vision for that night?  And are we still doing the "talking dead" game mechanics?

The dead will still be able to talk. This will not change for any of my Werewolf games. Partly because silencing the dead can be so difficult :) However if the Seer or Wizard die they lose their sensing power.

IRL I've always played the game where the "sensing" characters got their turn at night Before the Werewolf. However in this version, it might be better for me to wait to give the sensing characters their answers until After the Werewolf has chosen a victim. A "sensing" character marked for death has the potential to spill the beans :)

Vararam, would it make you happy if we called the Wizard a Sorcerer just for you? Or perhaps Warloc maybe? Is Wizard just not evil sounding enough? How about Necromancer?

Offline Yip

• Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2010, 07:57:41 am »
Vararam, would it make you happy if we called the Wizard a Sorcerer just for you? Or perhaps Warloc maybe? Is Wizard just not evil sounding enough? How about Necromancer?
It doesn't really matter that much. But yeah, Wizard doesn't sound sinister enough. I wouldn't go with Necromancer though because that sounds like it'd be a "can bring someone back to life" power. Which... actually... that sounds kind of interesting. At any rate, Warlock or Sorcerer sound like a better fit to me.

Offline Scrimno

• Male
    • Scrimno's FA
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2010, 12:25:28 pm »
*Facepalms* Alright then. Henceforth, the Wizard shall be referred to as the Warloc. Happy now Var? I should just call it a "Varloc" :)

Offline Yip

• Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2010, 02:23:04 pm »
I should just call it a "Varloc" :)
Are you trying to give away my identity before I even get it?  x_x

:D

Offline redyoshi49q

• Male
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2010, 02:37:58 pm »
I don't think we should use all three (talking dead, visions for the dying, and first night visions). That might make the sensing roles a little -too- powerful. Then again, I've never played it that way, so I don't know.

Well, the "sensing" roles, with a five person game, will have only 1 night to trigger if they don't also trigger on the first night (assuming they live long enough to do so).  If they do sense on the first night, they'll have two shots at most and one shot at the least.  With only one night that doesn't precede gameplay's end, there's only a 20% chance of a dying person getting a vision for each role.

Below is a statistics chart.  In order, the numbers on the left represent no dying sense/no first night sense, dying sense/no first night sense, no dying sense/first night sense, and dying sense/first night sense.

(0 0 1 1) 20% chance of death at first lynch
(0 1 1 2) 20% chance of death at first werewolf
(1 1 2 2) 60% chance of life after first night
(.6 .8 1.6 1.8) average number of senses per role

Lynchings and werewolf maulings become irrelevant to the number of senses after the first night, as the second day's lynching determines the game's winner.

Even in the best case scenario (a role that senses on the starting night and on the first night), the Wizard has only a 50% chance of finding the Seer (2 shots spread over 4 people), and the Seer has a 59.4% chance of finding the Werewolf (slightly higher because the Werewolf cannot be the first lynched person).  This doesn't remove the challenge of the Seer proving himself as such to the group or the Wizard hinting to the Werewolf the Seer's identity.

Ultimately, I think most any combination of these two rulesets would be okay for a large game, but in a small game, it would have a mild to moderate effect on

It seems that having a first night vision is more powerful than having a dying vision, though.

(The name of the Wizard's role changed since I started making this post.  I'm too lazy to fix it.)
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!