community group sub-forums > tech talk

Super Computer ! ! !

<< < (2/12) > >>

WhiteShepherd:
Techie dog coming in!  Actually the light at the end of the tunnel is closer than you think.  The price of $17,499 is most likely for rich geeks to buy who did not know they are being sold something basically cheap and preexisting.  You can get the EXACT SAME THING for near  $1000.  

What they have done there is attached 4 flat screen monitors at the case (inconvenient in realty) and are only using 2 feet to hold them up.  Windows automatically will stretch the desktop across any monitors you hook up as a setting (this has been in windows for years).  You can easily run up to 6 monitors (yes more than 4 they are doing).  All you need to do is add video cards that support multi-monitors (ATI's are great for this).  

For example to save some money you can get this same setup.  I go to ALDI's and buy 4 of their 19" flat screen at $199 each.  Next I go out and buy two ATI Radon video cards (many flavors of Radon design).  I spend $219 for a 9800 Pro AGP (refurb) and $99 for a Radon PCI card (we get a PCI because there is only 1 AGP port).  Both of these cards support 2 monitors so now our computer supports 4 monitors.  Want 6?  Just buy another Radon PCI card and 2 more monitors.

So by getting basically EXACT SAME THING a 81" setup you would pay $1,114+tax.  Or you can let them super glue your monitors together and pay them $12,499 (or $11,385 for glue!!. )

The multi monitor setup is what I run for maintaining Furtopia.  The multi-desktop makes it easier for tracking things.  One more good point.  They lay out their monitors left to right.  For 2 this is OK bit for 4 you can't rally watch more than 2 monitors easily.  The best formation is two on top and two bellow.  You can check up on another monitor just by a glance of your eyes rather than having to turn away.

Darius Greywind:
My cheap Fry's 17" does everything I need it to. I really need a notebook before I spend money on a LCD for my desktop machine. CRT's still tend to have way better contrast anyways.

Wtcher:
http://www.tekbc.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5508

Now /that/ is a supercomputer unto itself. =)

Sunookitsune:
Yes, multiple monitors are nice. I have a dual monitor set up, but I could easily look at more than those. 6 might be a bit excessive though.

Here's an idea. Get 6 projectors, go in a circular room, and make yourself a 360 degree monitor. Now that would be nice for Flight Simulator.

Firestorm Six:
expensive glue WS * ..i agree, it is indeed simply 4 standard flat monitors glued together. My Radeon card has that option for multiple monitors. The super computer seem al little over priced too at 8000 dollars, as by a year from now Intel will probally be offering a faster proccessor, as all Computer technology, is advancing at an alarming rate.
 like Darius mentioned, one monitor is plenty, ...especially if its one of high resolution and color. The newer LCD's are getting better, i just bought a new 18 inch LCD, it has a 450:1 contrast ratio , a true "black" screen, high resolution SVGA, and has very wide viewing angle. it has far better contrast, color & resolution than my year old 17 CRT monitor, aswell as no eye strain from radiation. I find it more suitable for my digital graphics & art, though at a price.

I like the ides of a projector for games....(big round room....Imax style theatre like computer monitor....and would be alot cheaper than 17,000 dollars too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version