Author Topic: The lack of posts here...  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Mooshi

The lack of posts here...
« on: September 21, 2010, 11:46:44 pm »
...sicken me! D<

So..how about them computer chips kids are talking about these days? :P

In all seriousness, AMD has shown off a picture of their die for their upcomming 32nm cpu dubbed "Orochi" While Intel is technically superior (performance wise) and already have 32nm cpus, they are alot more expensive. Anyone who build a PC with the latest 1st gen tech from Intel will tell you how expansive the platform can be if you're going for something with alot of power.

Can't wait to build another PC early next year! :3

The plan:
* AMD 32nm Orochi 8-core
* 8GB DDR3
* Whatever the current gen Nvidia card is then xD
* small SSD boot drive with Win 7

Sound good to you guys? :D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:36:51 am by Mooshi »

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
Re: The lack of posts here...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 12:40:36 am »
I thought Orochi was going to have 8 cores. In any case, I'm looking at the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T for my next computer. Right now I'm still looking for a case and motherboard that can support all the ridiculous stuff I want, such as the Sapphire HD5970 4GB. That's one huge graphics card.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 02:43:53 am »
Woops, you're right. Had the Phenom II on my mind. Orochi is indeed 8 cores. Well..the interesting thing is, it has been reported that the OS will see it as two cores. Something to do with the new tech design they are going with. I don't care what the OS sees. As long as it runs hard, right? ;)

Unless you /need/ a new PC now (I don't, but don't like the heat and power consumption of current PC), you should wait for the die shrink. Less power and heat + more performance is always a win-win.

And geeze..monster card. I am iffy on ATI since the drivers suck for SL and my now old HD4850 runs way too hot. Even with fan at 100% x.x New build for sure will have a beast of a case with proper cooling. Grrr...hurry up AMD and Nvidia...I want die shrinks now!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:48:00 am by Mooshi »

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 04:42:41 am »
ATI HD5000 series is meant to be excellent and I've read nothing but praise for it. I've got a HD5870 and it's been good so far. The ATI HD6000 is supposed to be coming out soon however it's meant to be similar in spec to the HD5000.

Intel CPU's are better than the AMD ones 99% of the time though which is why they can afford to price them so high. Unless you're looking for all out performance I don't think it's something to worry about though. I personally want an i7 when I can afford it for my gaming pc and I'm using AMD for my home server. However I wouldn't be adverse to switching to AMD if they can give good gaming performance.

SSD boot disk is always good x3 I've got one for my gaming pc. Though the SSD is first gen stuff. It's not that good compared to the new ones out there. I would like to change it for a newer one when I can afford it like with the CPU.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 11:31:27 am »
I just want an obscene number of cores, for a reasonable price, when I look for a CPU. When you see how I compute... it makes sense. Crazy multithreaded multitasking :D. Doesn't AMD have an 8-physical, 8-virtual core coming out in Q1/2 2011 as well?
Intel fails to deliver anything comparatively good for the prices they post; I'd rather wait for AMD to catch up, seeing as AMD generally has a superior price/performance ratio in my experience.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 03:57:50 pm »
I wouldn't exactly say Intel is 99% better. Realistically, if we compare real world usage and physical cores, Intel is more around 15% better in all out performance. Keeping in mind that a Phenom II hexa-core is around the $300 mark with price gouging added ect. While an unlocked Intel hexa-core is over the grandmark. Even though AMD's tech is behind Intel (45nm to 32nm) currently, the fact you can get 6 cores for what Intel is charging for a DUAL CORE (multithreaded or not, 6 physical cores > 2) is madness. Seriously, Intel is losing their minds! :D (my current PC is powered by Intel so no AMD biased here)

Switching to AMD now would be pointless for me since it wouldn't offer much more over current. That's why I wont build till there has been a new gen + a die shrink. If only for the "free power" and the lower energy consumption and heat.

Unless you're Avan, I think we can agree that CPUs have hit the "fast enough" mark for some time now. If you have money to spend, by all means go crazy over an unlocked Intel chip and Quad SLI! X3 If you don't need all that, AMD is perfectly fine. For the price of Intel's top chip alone, you could build a high end AMD one loaded with tons of ram and nice card. :B Either way I am looking forward to what AMD has in future and the preassure it might put on Intel to not make the platform as expensive.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 04:03:38 pm by Mooshi »