Poll

Would you willingly send genetic information to an ancestry service?

No, never
6 (42.9%)
Yes!
4 (28.6%)
Don't care, why are you asking, why am I reading this?
2 (14.3%)
What are you talking about?
0 (0%)
I would trick them!
0 (0%)
I already know my ancestry, no need.
1 (7.1%)
Maybe, if they can promise me it's super secret and can be destroyed when I ask. Guaranteed.
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Genetic information?  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
Genetic information?
« on: June 24, 2018, 11:46:31 pm »
 Once genetic information is sequenced and put into a database for matching ancestry, it's  doubtful it can be erased.  What do you think?

Would you send DNA to a service such as those who promise to genetically sequence it and match it to tell you who you are related to?
Do you care if the information is out there?
Would you have anything to hide?
Would you be concerned about a company secretly selling data to insurance and law enforcement?
Would you be afraid they will find out you are not 100 % human and seek you out for horrible experiments? x_x

I vote a strong no!  No one needs my genetic info, it's unremarkable.

Besides I have a family tree record on paper dating back to maybe 1579 (Who cares)
To one "James Fitzmaurice Fitzgerald, Munster Ireland"

(Hopefully he wasn't a bad guy)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 12:08:05 am by Jade Sinapu »
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
Re: Genetic information?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 12:16:09 am »
I wouldn't but not because I'm worried about anyone having my information or anything, I just don't care about ancestry and culture.
A lot of people say you can't know who you are until you know where you come from but I rebuke that statement.
Even if some of my behaviors are the same as behaviors some of my ancestors had I don't believe learning their histories will tell me anything about why I feel or think the way I do.

I am me. I am a sum of my experiences and while yes, some things are genetic I don't believe learning the histories of ancestors will tell me anything about myself I don't already know.

My parents and grandparents tried to teach me about my great grandparents and other people farther back going all the way to the civil war but the way I look at it, I don't know those people, I never will know those people because they're all dead. I don't possess whatever it is some people have that lets them unconditionally love a person based on pure genetic relation the instant it's revealed to them.

Maybe it's because of some things my mother did to me when I was little that caused a lot of trauma and made it impossible for me to ever trust her. Maybe it's because my half-brother bullied me to the point that I had no love for him whatsoever. I can only like and love people based on how they treat me and if they're a person who is already dead then to me that's just "someone who existed".

So yeah, don't know my ancestry and culture, don't care enough to go looking into it.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 11:16:15 am »
I totally get what you say Kay.

My mother has always had an obsession regarding genealogy.  It's her hobby and I will let her have that, but to me genealogy is only useful to a point.  It might be good to predict certain cancers, if you want advanced warning that is.

I have met "strangers" who are more like "family" that those I am related to.  It's nice to divorce your families social , emotional, historical baggage.  Sometimes it's the best thing to just forget.

You are you. You are your own person.
You can be more than those before you, and you need not be defined by those who came before you.

(Name that tune!)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 01:06:26 pm »
People shouldn't try to  hurt or falsify a database.
Seems like a privacy issue asking people to give out
ancestry info.

But I wouldn't give them information to begin with.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 11:38:38 pm »
Lots of Scottish, lots of German, some Mongolian, and one poor sap from the Mayflower. No DNA used, none needed. And with today's privacy problems, none shall be given willingly.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 12:46:28 am »
Ha ha, yeah I wouldn't want to be on the Mayflower either.  How long did it take to get here? And no BurgerKing? How ever did they survive? I say, I would have died of grease withdraw.

I have a bit of German, Irish, English, Scottish, Ukrainian?, and rumored to have some Native American in there somewhere. Essentially an average Joe Heinz 57 mutt.  :) no DNA test required either. 

Privacy issues do seem to be on the rise.   Heck some stores track your movement to predict what will sell even if you don't buy anything.  They do it with ultrasonic sounds from smartphones and embedded devices in the store, as well as tracking Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signatures.  Just to get some more money.
If some people are willing to do that, why not leak out DNA data. Just my opinion.
But if someone were to want a DNA test, not like I will stop them.
(Name that tune!)

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 05:05:37 am »
I know my ancestry for the last four generations. Both sets of great grand parents came over from Italy. So my great grand parents were Italian. My grand parents were Italian and my parents are Italian. But it would be cool to know just how many European countries I'm a mix of.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 12:48:46 pm »
Pretty cool Cause!
Thanks for sharing!

I am starting to wonder just who the DNA test companies are targeting, if seems many furs here know their ancestry.

Gee, didn't someone post a question about fursona heritage a while back? (Off topic).
(Name that tune!)

Offline Michen_S

• Species: Ghost cat
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 06:12:03 am »
I don't need a DNA test because I'm sure that, surprise surprise, the last few generations all come from the Netherlands. I don't want to work along with the ancestry testing because I don't want my DNA stored for such long periods of time. Besides, a Dutch consument program recently revealed those kinds of tests to be fairly inaccurate as well, or at least most of the tests available online for people in the Netherlands.

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 07:22:57 am »
I have a funny feeling those tests are really only popular in the US and Canada, where there is a lot of mixing compared to the rest of the world.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 12:32:02 pm »
The so called melting pot.
I think for some genetics is also a hobby.  Meh.
All I know it's I am 90%human.
(Name that tune!)

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 03:25:41 am »
I have a funny feeling those tests are really only popular in the US and Canada, where there is a lot of mixing compared to the rest of the world.

We are the mutts of the world!
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 04:56:10 pm »
The so called melting pot.
I think for some genetics is also a hobby.  Meh.
All I know it's I am 90%human.

90% huh? How would you feel if I told you that roundabouts half of your genes, and mine, and all of our, genes are the same as that of a fruit fly?
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 12:44:00 am »
Well that would help to explain my attention span, intelligence and other issues! :D

Yeah I knew all living things shared X% DNA with other things, didn't know what that percent was.  Makes me wonder about stuff that has happened to me, some things that some may call instincts... :o

Please feel free to elaborate on fruitfly DNA and GSD DNA
(Name that tune!)

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 10:33:12 pm »
Okay, so with the recent news about how only 2-3% of a population need be sampled before a "good-enough" database can be created for the purposes of matching people to others based upon things like process of elimination, statistics, and such, how do you feel now?

The online gene pool is large enough now that almost anyone can be pinpointed by statistics and such now.  So, anyone want to change their vote?

(Name that tune!)

Offline Michen_S

• Species: Ghost cat
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 12:46:52 pm »
Surprise surprise, what I posted here hasn't changed. Like, not even a little bit.