Author Topic: EVA foam mats. Anyone try this stuff?  (Read 3786 times)

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
EVA foam mats. Anyone try this stuff?
« on: April 12, 2015, 12:30:18 pm »
PVA foam mats. Anyone try these? You can get them at most hardware store and Harbor Freight. Even some auto parts places have large mats for garages. 

First off yes, I know, I’ve heard it on several Youtube vids that body sweet can work like acid on this stuff. They suggest sealing the inside of anything you make with it.

So far what I’ve seen of this stuff is amazing. I bought some to try to make cosplay armor. Been catching as many vids on pva foam as I can find. Just a side note, PVA = Elmer’s Glue or white craft glue in general.

this guy is pro and has great tips and results,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLTxoOYUpGKDSexgjTG1D1A?spfreload=10

Pros
It’s a lot sturdier than foam.
Cheaper in price.
Can be glued together using cement. (recommended) Hot glue can be used.
Can be molded to form curves and cups using a heat gun.
Very easy to cut with a razor knife. But dulls the knives quickly.
Venting for air flow is possible.  Small holes wont collapse.

Cons.
Would have to be 100% protected from body sweet.
Doesn’t have the flex of foam. A head would have to be treated like eggs when being packed.  Heat or pressure could deform it. A heat gun could be used to fix it. But if you used hot glue to put it together……

‘Bing’ PVA cosplay armor for some great pics and videos of this stuff.

Two of my favorites,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdmRUAX7cEk&spfreload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOyVFx7uaGE&spfreload=10
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:55:12 pm by cause the rat »
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline cause the rat

• Male
Re: PVA foam mats. Anyone try this stuff?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 05:32:41 pm »
PVA is wrong. It's EVA or Ethylene-vinyl acetate. On another forum the question of how safe the material is came up. There are a lot of places that sell this stuff as kids floor mats. However the MSDS sheet states it can be a skin irritant. More info would have to be gathered to determine  if this stuff is safe enough to use for furstuit head making. Guess until then it's best to put it with cardboard and paper mache as things that are NOT a good idea.

Hopefully more to come.

side note. I've modified the tittle of this thread form PVA to EVA.  And this stuff is safe to use. Unlike cardboard and paper mache.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:57:42 pm by cause the rat »
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 05:34:50 pm »
They work well for foot bottoms, that's what my sister used for one of her first fursuits for the bottoms of the feet.
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 10:54:24 pm »
Cosplayers have been making armor and gear out of this stuff for years now. Most wear underarmor under it. Or clothing.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=eva+foam+armor&go=Submit&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=eva+foam+armor&sc=8-14&sp=-1&sk=#a
Guess that link should come with a warning. "Warning! You may want to build your fursona a set of armor after viewing that link."  Some amazing stuff people have made.

Think it might be time to see if this will work just as well for shaping fursuit heads and body padding.
There are all kinds of advantages with this stuff. Sturdier jaws. No more sculpting with scissors. Heat it and form over an armature. Or cut two pieces. Then glue them together to form a dome shape. Air holes can be cut in for better ventilation. Cut in the vents on the top and back of head. Cover with fur. Use a thin exacto saw to cut the hole out of the fur. How many times do people actually see the top of your fursuit heard? Most fur will hide these holes anyway. It comes in a variety of thicknesses. It's sturdier and WAY cheaper than the foam traditionally used.
I see the only disadvantage of this stuff is having to seal any part of it that touches your skin. Every part would have to be sealed. However imagine being able to clean out this inside of your fursuit heard AND mouth with good old soap and water. If you do see sealed areas that have become worn down you can always reseal them using plasti dip. This stuff comes in spray and liquid. No more fungal fursuit heads. A good idea would be to use a light color plasti dip for sealing. That way it'll be easer to see worn spots.

Easier to shape.
Easier to clean.

Another real advantage would be for first time builders. Not having to sculpt for symmetry means better looking first time builds.

About venting. I get ideas as I type so as far as I know this has never been tried. There are a few more things people make stuff out of. Wonderflex and Worbla. Both are thermal plastics that can be cut and heat molded. They are study (worbla being sturdier). My thought of the moment would be to cut away the top of the unfurred head. Replace that with a cap of the molded to shape thermo plastic with vent holes. Now you have a empty space between the top of your head and the fursuit head. And vent holes.

I think i'm going to stop here. If I keep thinking wile I'm typing I could be writing a small book instead of a post.  :D