Author Topic: I Think This is a Great Idea  (Read 5898 times)

Offline Sergalicious

• Species: northern sergal
  • I need some snuggs pretty bad now...
  • Male
I Think This is a Great Idea
« on: September 21, 2013, 12:23:39 am »
so i was browsing the interwebs and i came across this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDAw7vW7H0c
it is a concept for a phone, and i think it is a really good idea.

what do you think?
what ind of phone would you build, big camera, larger processor, larger speaker?
you can support them here on thunderclap ( its free) https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/2931-phonebloks

here is their website
http://www.phonebloks.com/

its basically a smartphone, that is modular. one part breaks, buy that one part not a new phone. want a larger battery?, buy one and stick it on.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:48:37 pm by korvre »
I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts...
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline Mylo

Re: I Think This is a Great Idea
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 02:37:33 am »
I don't like this because it goes against my philosophy on consumerism.

Offline Sergalicious

• Male
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 02:38:58 am »

may i ask why?
Upon my liar's chair
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 02:45:10 am »
I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sergalicious

• Male
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 02:46:25 am »
Upon my liar's chair
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 02:58:44 am »
that looks cool but i like apple products more don't like all the other phones. now if apple made a phone like that it's get it

Offline Sergalicious

• Male
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 03:00:49 am »
that looks cool but i like apple products more don't like all the other phones. now if apple made a phone like that it's get it

this is a collaborative project so you'd have one part form nokia, another from sony, one from apple, etc so there would be no one single company ( unless you only bought one companies' components)

"BLOKSTORE
It's like an app store for hardware. In the store you buy your bloks, read reviews and sell old bloks. Small and big companies develop and sell their bloks. You can buy a pre-assembled phone or assemble it yourself by selecting the brands you want to support. The choice is yours."-from the website
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 03:02:59 am by korvre »
Upon my liar's chair
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline Jackie

• Species: Sherbet Red Panda
  • Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 07:56:35 am »
A modular phone!!!

* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline Sergalicious

• Male
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 11:23:33 am »
" how am i supposed to nail him down with this?"
Upon my liar's chair
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline WhiteAkitaKeiko

• Species: hug loving American Akita
  • I will find you, and I will hug you
  • Female
    • My FA
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 12:38:44 pm »
" how am i supposed to nail him down with this?"

Lol , good one korvre.
Anyways, I think its pretty cool idea. No more need to replace whole phone , and its pretty simple too, i would probably get it
Icon by myself

Choose wisely who you hate and hunt.
Because the shot you've used..might've been fatal

Offline Sergalicious

• Male
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 12:45:13 pm »
thanks. assuming you could get this what kind of phone would you build?

i edited the main post ( first) a bit also
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:46:54 pm by korvre »
Upon my liar's chair
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline Mylo

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 01:13:55 pm »

may i ask why?

this is a collaborative project so you'd have one part form nokia, another from sony, one from apple, etc so there would be no one single company ( unless you only bought one companies' components)

"BLOKSTORE
It's like an app store for hardware. In the store you buy your bloks, read reviews and sell old bloks. Small and big companies develop and sell their bloks. You can buy a pre-assembled phone or assemble it yourself by selecting the brands you want to support. The choice is yours."-from the website

If you make phones that allow parts to be replaced, then people won't ever have to buy completely brand new phones, which will hurt the economy.  Think of the new iPhone.  In a Blok world, all you'd have to do to get the new iPhone would be to buy a new flash and the fingerprint sensor, effectively (and perhaps a new processor).  Apple would have lost out on hundreds of millions in sales, and these hundreds of millions go into R&D of course, not to mention the innovators and workers who create these phones.  As stated in the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, a story that provides a framework for a strong and stable futuristic economy and society,... "ending is better than mending."  If it breaks, just throw it away and buy a new one.  If a new one comes out, then buy the brand new device in its entirety.

Offline Sergalicious

• Male
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 01:17:48 pm »
Okay i get what you mean thanks for explaining. :)
Upon my liar's chair
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 04:20:31 am »
A modular phone!!!

i feel bad for steve jobs :/ he died a some where around 44 and that is a pretty young to die. he talked a lot about it's not about the money but what experience the consumer gets from the product. it would be good if we had more people like him...
wow right when i started talking about this an apple commercial started playing.   

Offline Amarok

• Male
    • Brandless
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 12:42:29 pm »

may i ask why?

"BLOKSTORE

If you make phones that allow parts to be replaced, then people won't ever have to buy completely brand new phones, which will hurt the economy.  Think of the new iPhone.  In a Blok world, all you'd have to do to get the new iPhone would be to buy a new flash and the fingerprint sensor, effectively (and perhaps a new processor).  Apple would have lost out on hundreds of millions in sales, and these hundreds of millions go into R&D of course, not to mention the innovators and workers who create these phones.  As stated in the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, a story that provides a framework for a strong and stable futuristic economy and society,... "ending is better than mending."  If it breaks, just throw it away and buy a new one.  If a new one comes out, then buy the brand new device in its entirety.

Mylo ... your not thinking of the resources it costs to keep making new stuff

you should watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• My snark is worse than my bite
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 12:57:06 pm »
do i finally get to put in a usb port in my handhelds?
how many neon pink and black rabbits does it take to screw up a lightbulb factory?

Offline Sergalicious

• Male
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 01:17:16 pm »
do i finally get to put in a usb port in my handhelds?

Probably if you get a module with a USB port. And if it doesn't exist you could make that part and sell it for others.

If you want just give it a huge battery, small processor switch the screen for a solar panel and cover it in USB ports and you just made a charger
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:50:25 pm by korvre »
Upon my liar's chair
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline Mylo

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 07:15:32 pm »

Yeah I know.  More money spent means more people get paid.  It should be our goal to use as much resources as possible, because it would be a waste if they were just sitting there.  Plus people can get jobs consuming these resources and forming them into products for sale.

Offline Amarok

• Male
    • Brandless
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 12:21:53 pm »

Yeah I know.  More money spent means more people get paid.  It should be our goal to use as much resources as possible, because it would be a waste if they were just sitting there.  Plus people can get jobs consuming these resources and forming them into products for sale.

how the world will look in a few years using your logic >.>

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 12:38:33 pm »
Or you mean like this: A big landfill dump.  :P

Offline Mylo

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 05:59:52 pm »
Or you mean like this: A big landfill dump.  :P

Yeah.  I'm not saying that wouldn't happen.  The idea is just to live away from the dump.  Haven't you seen WALL-E?  That worked out for them.

Offline Scion Tyven

• Male
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 07:49:55 pm »
I think it would be cool. And I can see how it sorta hurt the economy, but at the same time, instead of people clamoring for the newest blocks instead of the newest iPhones, so it's not like we'll stop buying things.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." - Steven Erikson

Offline Mylo

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 10:05:56 pm »
I think it would be cool. And I can see how it sorta hurt the economy, but at the same time, instead of people clamoring for the newest blocks instead of the newest iPhones, so it's not like we'll stop buying things.

But we will be buying cheaper things.  It's like the horrors of getting rid of the cable company's "bundles."

Offline Scion Tyven

• Male
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 11:56:31 pm »
Yeah, but I was just trying to point out that at least not everything will change. There will still be sale, just at a lesser extent.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." - Steven Erikson

Offline Cirocco the Silver Fox

• Male
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 02:54:39 am »
Sale, at a lesser extent because of a modular phone? Not really. You realize that MOST major companies get the vast majority of their profit from relatively small percentages of their user base. The mass numbers moving is great and all, but when you are interested in the bottom line you cater to the needs of the demographic that offers you the most support, all the rest just are along for the ride.

So now you have a modular phone, which is going to kill profits because you don't have to buy an entire new device every year or two; if only economics were that simple. What you essentially have ladies and gentlemen, is the Poke'mon of phones - gotta get all the accessories baby!  USB Port, QWERTY Keyboard, Touchscreen, or dare I say DUEL TOUCHSCREENS! Three different cameras to make sure you REALLY capture the lint in your pocket from all the best possible angles.

This isn't just sarcasm either - think about it long and hard. You have a phone that you can customize however you want, including multiple forward facing cameras if you really want to have fun with images (think the 3DS if you will, or even the Microsoft Kinect) as well as ports for SD Cards, memory slots, USB ports, keyboards, and any number of additions, parts, and functions that can be designed by independent developers in addition of course to the ones developed by big name brand companies.

What you have is a phone with UNLIMITED upgrade capabilities, and with it you have a profit margin limited only by your ability to market any number of frivolous accessories to the percentage of your consumer bracket that is the most responsible for driving your profits along. Also being modular it means that more companies and developers can use it as a test market for unusual or unique additions at a reduced risk because you don't have to design an entire test phone just to do a trial market for one feature or function, you just develop a limited number of the test item and ship it out - at a cost much less than manufacturing an entire phone that feats said function just for a market test.

This will likely lead to some very stupid, and some very awesome, new technology for our cellular devices. This is the nature of consumerism - we will more directly drive the market, because the individual pieces we invest an interest, and our money, in, will prompt developers to market similar and upgraded versions of those products - products very likely to sale because we the consumer are the reason they marketed those particular products in the first place.

It is, ultimately, a potential to be a win-win for everyone.
I chase the wind, but have no dreams of catching it.

Today is all we have - Personal Mantra