Author Topic: Your other family members.  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Your other family members.
« on: January 15, 2015, 05:05:47 pm »
So from time to time, I've often heard how people's parents (Mother and Father) do or don't like/understand furry for one reason or another.

But little do I hear of "other" family such as Uncles, Aunts, Grandparents, Nieces, Nephews, Cousins, etc.  How do these other relations view furry and you into it?

Offline T-Yoshi45

• 80% Raccoon, 20% Wolf, 100% Awesome!
  • Male
Re: Your other family members.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 08:01:50 pm »
My aunt Suzy was actually one of the first two people I told and she supports me all the way. She was offering to take professional photos of my fursuit and whatnot. My others aunts who know thinks it's funny (in a ha-ha way, not a creepy way) what I do as a furry.

Profile pic by Sandy Schreiber, her work's awesome!

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 09:35:44 pm »
I don't see one uncle, my only aunt, or my two cousins.
My other uncle I see twice a year and we don't really talk about the important things. None of them know I'm a furry, and I have no intention of telling them, or interest in finding out what they think about it.

I'm not close to any of my very small family.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 01:58:10 am »
My little sister understands the fursuit part of it. She volunteers at the zoo and has worn the animal costumes but I don't know if she knows about the rest of it.

Offline Purrrl

• Male
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 04:15:57 am »
If my family need to know something, I tell them.

They do not need to know I'm a furry.

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 08:57:16 am »
They don't know a thing
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline Madam Glitch

• Species: Dragon
  • The Madam of the Glitches
  • Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 11:16:18 am »
My cousin knows what a Furry is and, while thinking we're a bit odd for wearing fursuits, accepts them. His girlfriend is a Furry, so yeah
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"
--Mewtwo

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 06:49:48 pm »
Have a cousin and an aunt who thought our fursuits were cute ^.^ Other assorted relatives liked our art.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Wildhead_the_fox

• Species: Red Fox
  • Your friendly neighborhood Red Fox! :)
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 07:47:15 pm »
My very own brother is an avid hater of both furrys and anime fans, and it so happens that I'm both! >:(
But, ha kno what?
I can DEAL WITH IT! 8)
Normal people look at things that are and ask, "Why?"
True innovators look at things that aren't and ask, "Why not?"

Offline Wildhead_the_fox

• Male
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 07:49:00 pm »
But anyway, my grandparents support me, and are somewhat interested in furry arts! :D

Offline Jackie

• Species: Sherbet Red Panda
  • Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 10:14:48 pm »
I think my grandparents don't fully know what it is, or understand it, they never asked me anything about it.

My grandad loves Blotch's suitable for work artwork, he says it's interesting with the anthros, and very well made. ^_^
* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline Cirocco the Silver Fox

• Male
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 10:39:26 pm »
Ahem. Well my mother says it embarrasses her (I don't fursuit, go to Conventions, or anything like that. She just knows is all) But! As for the point of the topic, let me see; my sister believes I want to have sex with my dog, and nothing will convince her otherwise, and one of my brother's actually told me that I should stay away from his kids because of it. So yeah... I've just got tons of support over here.
I chase the wind, but have no dreams of catching it.

Today is all we have - Personal Mantra

Offline Wildhead_the_fox

• Male
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 10:45:15 pm »
Well Cirocco, I wish you the best of luck over there.

Offline Timberwuff

• Species: Grey Timberwolf
  • Just your everyday wolf
  • Male
    • BitzaWolf.com
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 11:25:18 pm »
Yes, that's so sad. My family is indifferent, they treat it as the hobby it is, like I was into model trains. They'll listen to me about it and if I'm going to a meetup or whatever, they've seen my tails and stuff, but don't care at all.

My Dad at first laughed about the idea, but actually bought me some furry books for Christmas last year.

So I'm very sorry to hear about the terrible reception Cirocco.
'      !
/ \_..._ / \   Follow me on Twitter!
| /  \_ /  \|
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   / 
 /'-- U --' \
 |    .:.     | /\ 
 |   /:;:\  |`  /
 |   |:;:|  |_ -' 
 /   |'-' |  \   
`""`    `""`    (Wuff character by Winter)

Offline Jackie

• Species: Sherbet Red Panda
  • Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 12:20:16 pm »
Ahem. Well my mother says it embarrasses her (I don't fursuit, go to Conventions, or anything like that. She just knows is all) But! As for the point of the topic, let me see; my sister believes I want to have sex with my dog, and nothing will convince her otherwise, and one of my brother's actually told me that I should stay away from his kids because of it. So yeah... I've just got tons of support over here.

They sound like very thoughtful and non-judgemental people. :P
* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline Turgius

• Species: Anthro Wolf/Dragon thing of questionable sanity...
  • Avatar is Artz by Flinters on FA
    • FA Account
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 12:46:50 pm »

Wow, that is very unfortunate, and family is supposed to be accepting regardless...or so they say.

As for me, my brother knows, as does his wife (probably, and I cant imagine her opinion being anything but...'WEIRD' in a high pitched cheer leader voice). As for their actual opinion, I don't really know. They are 'very' Christian (and I'm not), and don't share any unorthodox nerdy interests with me. Also don't seem to care about my interests, or find them too bizarre to talk about (this includes normal 'history major' obsessed stuff as well, including my interests in mythology which seems to offend). Out side of them and my father...no one else knows, nor do I feel it's important to tell them.
“Oh I've plenty of time, my time is entirely my own.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Идиот

FCWh3a A C D H M P R T+++ W- Z Sm- RLGP a cn++ d++ e++ f-- h- i++ j p sm-
-Furry Code

Offline WintertheWolf

• Species: Arctic Wolf/ German Shepherd
  • Hello everyone, I am Winter The Wolf!
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 08:42:44 pm »
Well, you are not alone, I am in the same situation as well >:(.
/ \_..._ / \   Made by WinterTheWolf x3 l
| /  \_ /  \|                              <-------˩
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   /    ---> Please hug me!
 /'-- U --' \               I like hugs!
 |    .:.     | /\              *hugs*
 /   |'-' |  \    Follow me on flickr!--> https://www.flickr.com/photos/134683888@N07/
`""`    `""` 
Profile pic by TimberWuff!(Thx!)

Offline WintertheWolf

• Species: Arctic Wolf/ German Shepherd
  • Hello everyone, I am Winter The Wolf!
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 08:52:23 pm »
Where do I begin >:(.... Actually, I'll make this quick. So my dad doesn't really care, my mom thinks I'm gay and has other far fetched opinions, and my sister sometimes makes fun of me for being a furry. All in all, it embarrasses all of them and prefer I don't show I'm a furry in public. Also, everyone at school stays away from me, but they are not family members, so they don't count. It is pretty hard to be a furry in my house, no one ever agrees with me. I have to keep all of my drawings in a notebook I keep hidden. The way my house is set up makes it so that my desktop is out in the open, so it is impossible to try to draw furries online. My mom is always looking to see if I have any X rated drawings and such, she is the worst out of all of them. There is no support given whatsoever, but that won't stop me. From reading some of the other comments on this topic, some of you are pretty lucky, though, as you can see, I have the worst case scenario, and it is only getting worse as time passes.  :(>:(
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:06:06 pm by WintertheWolf »
/ \_..._ / \   Made by WinterTheWolf x3 l
| /  \_ /  \|                              <-------˩
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   /    ---> Please hug me!
 /'-- U --' \               I like hugs!
 |    .:.     | /\              *hugs*
 /   |'-' |  \    Follow me on flickr!--> https://www.flickr.com/photos/134683888@N07/
`""`    `""` 
Profile pic by TimberWuff!(Thx!)

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 12:49:47 am »
Most of my family has no opinion whatsoever, or no opinion they let me know. I only have one facebook account where I'm friends with everybody from all my friend groups and nobody in my family seems to mind furry posts, my profile pictures almost always being an anthro cat, or anything else like that.

Offline Wildhead_the_fox

• Male
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 02:10:39 am »
Where do I begin >:(.... Actually, I'll make this quick. So my dad doesn't really care, my mom thinks I'm gay and has other far fetched opinions, and my sister sometimes makes fun of me for being a furry. All in all, it embarrasses all of them and prefer I don't show I'm a furry in public. Also, everyone at school stays away from me, but they are not family members, so they don't count. It is pretty hard to be a furry in my house, no one ever agrees with me. I have to keep all of my drawings in a notebook I keep hidden. The way my house is set up makes it so that my desktop is out in the open, so it is impossible to try to draw furries online. My mom is always looking to see if I have any X rated drawings and such, she is the worst out of all of them. There is no support given whatsoever, but that won't stop me. From reading some of the other comments on this topic, some of you are pretty lucky, though, as you can see, I have the worst case scenario, and it is only getting worse as time passes.  :(>:(

Show the silly humans at school that furrys can be the friendliest animals around

Offline Aliikaiokai

• Male
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 03:32:15 pm »
I don't keep in touch with any of my extended family. No one really cares, but in a bad way; My parents more or less ignore it and pretend like it isn't a thing in my life. My mom thinks it's a fetish though my dad thinks it's youthful rebellion. My one sister thinks that it is stupid and the other one has never spoken about it. My best friend's parents think I do it for attention (I've always been a background type of person) and also think that it's a fetish, his mother downright dismisses his involvement.

I mentioned his parents because i'm just as close to his family as I am my own.

Offline wereaibo1

• Species: Robotic Dog
  • Bite my shiny metal tail!
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 03:53:58 pm »
They don't know I'm Furry per say. Just that I have a thing for animals and dogs in particular. I can't imagine they'd have a problem with it if they knew.
Meddle not in the affairs of robot dogs for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 01:00:27 pm »
I don't talk about my furry interests other than my artwork, which is what interests
me most about the fandom. My mother liked most of my art. I think my father
would have liked it too.

My GF loves my art, but she likes most anything I do.  :orbunny:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:58:02 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline BlueStreak

• Central Ohio's Original Fox
  • Male
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 07:40:13 pm »
My brother is around the fandom, though he comes at it from the brony side of things. Seems to like it. Beyond that, I don't think anybody in my family would really "get" it.

Offline Vampyrum

• Species: Spectacled Flying Fox
  • Eater of Apples
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 09:39:51 pm »
A sibling and most friends don't understand it, in the sense of villainizing it like many non-furs can do. My parents have no clue what-so-ever, and I have no intention of pushing it. Admittedly, I'm usually a very reserved kind of person, and I value respect so much that I rarely speak out or interject myself, so my personal fandoms or beliefs are usually something someone would have to be able to hang around me to know by talking or hanging around. My brother got down on me in the past for my love of MLP, and because of his typical stand-offishness, if not mild aggression towards the furry community, I just keep it to myself around him.
"The world is what you make of it, sir! If it doesn't fit, you make alterations."