Author Topic: Furries vs. Bronies, Are we the same?  (Read 4011 times)

Offline WintertheWolf

• Species: Arctic Wolf/ German Shepherd
  • Hello everyone, I am Winter The Wolf!
  • Male
Furries vs. Bronies, Are we the same?
« on: March 03, 2015, 10:28:29 pm »
To start, I am not a Brony. I don't hate My Little Pony, I just don't have an interest for it. When I have arguments with people at school about being a furry(Which is about every 5 seconds, I have one of those bad situations when you are bullied about being a furry 24/7, even the teachers have questionable ideas), I have noticed that many people say that Bronies and Furries are the same and just throw us together. I used to totally say that we weren't the same, as I didn't see a connection. However, today after I was done tearing my hair out in an argument, I decided to try to comprehend what they meant by this because it occurs all. the. time.. I have came to the conclusion that we are sort of the same. What I mean by this is that being a Brony is like a branch off of being a Furry. To any one out there that isn't a full/ semi furry ( Kemonomimi, Therians, Otherkin, Nekomimi, etc.) I understand how we take the credit for most things, but a lot of our ideas can be related to other groups making us very versatile. In the Furry fandom, the way to get in is to have an interest in anthropomorphic animals, drawings, etc. In the MLP FIM fandom,  the way to get in is to have an interest in My Little Pony and/or the stlye of MLP art. Since My Little Pony is based on anthropomorphic characters, it fits in with the Furry fandom because we take interest in anything anthropomorphic. But not all Furries like My Little Pony, even though MLP is technically anthropomorphic :P! Maybe this is a loophole in the furry fandom :o. Though, I see it as more of an interest thing. And as for those people at school, close-minded students are like the kings and queens of stereotypes and ignorance, so this is too complicated for them. I'm not surprised they don't put their underwear over their pants and their socks on their hands  :) :D! Does anyone here get what I mean, I can probably clear up some questions if you ask them! :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:33:24 pm by WintertheWolf »
/ \_..._ / \   Made by WinterTheWolf x3 l
| /  \_ /  \|                              <-------˩
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   /    ---> Please hug me!
 /'-- U --' \               I like hugs!
 |    .:.     | /\              *hugs*
 |   /:;:\  |`  /
 |   |:;:|  |_ -'  
 /   |'-' |  \    Follow me on flickr!--> https://www.flickr.com/photos/134683888@N07/
`""`    `""` 
Profile pic by TimberWuff!(Thx!)

Offline Turgius

• Species: Anthro Wolf/Dragon thing of questionable sanity...
  • Avatar is Artz by Flinters on FA
    • FA Account
Re: Furries vs. Bronies, Are we the same?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 10:45:15 pm »
Perhaps they are related terms. The furry fandom is a fandom for anthropomorphic animal characters, while the Brony frondom is in reference to ( a very unexpected turnout of) teenage to early adult fans of a specific show, which does include such characters. Personally I don't have a issue with MLP or it's fans, though I personally find the show a bit too diabetic inducing sweet for my tastes.  (: In the end labels are just labels.
“Oh I've plenty of time, my time is entirely my own.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Идиот

FCWh3a A C D H M P R T+++ W- Z Sm- RLGP a cn++ d++ e++ f-- h- i++ j p sm-
-Furry Code

Offline Timberwuff

• Species: Grey Timberwolf
  • Just your everyday wolf
  • Male
    • BitzaWolf.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 12:01:07 am »
I have recently made a friend who is a brony.

In my experience with people assuming the worst about furries and bronies, they're gonna group us together because we both like furry costumes and tails and such.

In practice, I don't believe it matters at all. Bronies and furries can totally get along. I wouldn't argue furries are the over-arching group in which bronies are a sub-group though. Bronies are a fan group of a particular show. Furries just like anthropomorphic animals. Similar groups. This is probably why furries get attributed to a lot of other groups, because we don't have a single anchoring show or book or movie or anything really. It's that ambiguity that's hard for outsiders to understand.

Overall, I'd state we're quite different groups that share similarities.
'      !
/ \_..._ / \   Follow me on Twitter!
| /  \_ /  \|
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   / 
 /'-- U --' \
 |    .:.     | /\ 
 /   |'-' |  \   
`""`    `""`    (Wuff character by Winter)

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 03:55:29 pm »
I had  observe a Brony meet up; I thought it was a  furmeet I did not know. There both communities are the same age and behave the same.   Bronies to me are furies in denial.  There is  a difference furries are  fans of  anthropomorphic  we the fandom create (fans of ourselves) while  Bronies are  fans of  Hub / Hasbro creation.

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 04:12:38 pm »
Furries like anthropomorphic animals. Since My Little Pony prominently features anthropomorphic characters, it may fit within the set of things furry love but not necessarily.

Bronies are fans of the show My Little Pony. But there are plenty of reasons they may like the show outside of it having anthropomorphic characters. For example, the humor, the focus on friendship and helping one another, and things like that.

Their may be crossover between the two groups, but there are definitely those that would fit one but not the other. So in my opinion no, they are not the same.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 05:28:39 pm »
The main difference is that Furries, despite being very open to most people, are oftentimes rather hateful, rude, inconsiderate, and say incredibly offensive things towards Bronies, while Bronies, despite being about friendship and kindness, are oftentimes rather hateful, rude, inconsiderate, and say inredibly offensive things towards Furr-

Wait a minute.

Offline Shiru_Da_Koon

• Species: Werecoon
  • The wind can't blow without having a scent
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 03:25:59 am »
I concur :p for you see I am brony and well known to me and my fellow bronies and pegisosters, we do our best to lookout for others who like to express themselves for their different views and likes in life. We want to ensure that they comfortably accepted by others just having those differences and to instill that world should also be accepting of them. 🐺🐾  paws or hooves we are all the same....just a little different than each other :)
With my Mother's Love and Wisdom and my Father's Strength and Discipline... This I Will Defend...

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 01:37:26 am »
*dons lab coat, straightens it* I agree with Yip. I'm of a mind that Bronies (and fans of the cartoon show My Little Pony in the 80s) are a subset within Furry fandom. Furries are anthropomorphized animal characters, and My Little Ponies do fall under that category, albeit in a very specific way.

However, these terms can be mutually exclusive--just because one is a furry, one is not a brony, and vice versa.

And to be even more technical, bronies are a far more recent subculture than furries, having been formed in the 2010s with the advent of MLP: Friendship is Magic.

Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Shiru_Da_Koon

• Species: Werecoon
  • The wind can't blow without having a scent
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 08:54:11 am »
Well I think its like futbol anyone can be a fan but to be a player takes training and a bit of your life haha
With my Mother's Love and Wisdom and my Father's Strength and Discipline... This I Will Defend...

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 07:04:53 pm »
This was well debated on a different forum. In the end I'd have to agree with this wisdom.

If you say your a furry then your a furry.
If you say your a brony then your a brony.
If your a brony and say your a furry then your a furry.
If your a brony and say your not a furry then your just a brony.
IF your a furry and say your not a brony then your just a furry.

I'm a furry. I will never be a brony.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline wereaibo1

• Species: Robotic Dog
  • Bite my shiny metal tail!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 09:51:19 pm »
Yeah, same here. I'm a furry, I'm a therian/otherkin but I'll never be a brony. I have no interest in My Little Pony. Nothing against the show personally. It just doesn't interest me. Just because I'm a furry doesn't mean I like every single show involving anthro animals.
Meddle not in the affairs of robot dogs for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 07:40:58 am »
Wereaibo1, I'm going to steal your post just to put it in a different perspective. Because it's PERFECT!!

"Yeah, same here. I'm a Brony, I'm a avid watcher of My Little Pony  but I'll never be a furry. I have no interest in the furry fandom. Nothing against the fandom personally. It just doesn't interest me. Just because I'm a brony doesn't mean I like every single fandom involving anthro animals."

Awesome post Wereaibo1.

Is there differences? Yes. Let's keep it real. Technically anyone who's infatuated with Thomas the Train or Disney's 'Cars' is a fan of anthropomorphism  too.  Doesn't make them a furry. Enjoy the differences.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline WintertheWolf

• Species: Arctic Wolf/ German Shepherd
  • Hello everyone, I am Winter The Wolf!
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 08:39:45 pm »
Wereaibo1, I'm going to steal your post just to put it in a different perspective. Because it's PERFECT!!

"Yeah, same here. I'm a Brony, I'm a avid watcher of My Little Pony  but I'll never be a furry. I have no interest in the furry fandom. Nothing against the fandom personally. It just doesn't interest me. Just because I'm a brony doesn't mean I like every single fandom involving anthro animals."

Awesome post Wereaibo1.

Is there differences? Yes. Let's keep it real. Technically anyone who's infatuated with Thomas the Train or Disney's 'Cars' is a fan of anthropomorphism  too.  Doesn't make them a furry. Enjoy the differences.
Lol so true :D!
/ \_..._ / \   Made by WinterTheWolf x3 l
| /  \_ /  \|                              <-------˩
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   /    ---> Please hug me!
 /'-- U --' \               I like hugs!
 |    .:.     | /\              *hugs*
 /   |'-' |  \    Follow me on flickr!--> https://www.flickr.com/photos/134683888@N07/
`""`    `""` 
Profile pic by TimberWuff!(Thx!)

Offline Turgius

• Species: Anthro Wolf/Dragon thing of questionable sanity...
  • Avatar is Artz by Flinters on FA
    • FA Account
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 08:55:39 pm »

Awesome post Wereaibo1.

+1

I have to completely agree with both of you on that.
“Oh I've plenty of time, my time is entirely my own.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Идиот

FCWh3a A C D H M P R T+++ W- Z Sm- RLGP a cn++ d++ e++ f-- h- i++ j p sm-
-Furry Code

Offline Nyte Kitsune

• Species: Black and White Kitsune
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 10:31:13 am »
I'd have to agree with the many similarities, a "Former" co-worker of mine was a brony (He got fired for forgetting to card someone, who just happened to be with the liquor review board doing a "Sting" to see if employees were remembering to card people), We had similar tastes in games and other hobbies, only real difference is that he focused on MLP, while I focus on Foxes, Wolves, Reptiles and maybe big cats (Cougars, Panthers, etc.). He actually asked me if I thought Bronies were Furries, and I answered, "The ones that suit might fit in.", but it's for the individual to decide. If you don't consider yourself a furry, fine, some might say you're in denial, but whatever floats your boat.
"Nose to the wind, I go!"

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 10:17:11 pm »
There are differences but also similarities. In a way we are the same we like talking animals and there is friendliness in both.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 12:19:22 pm »
I enjoy the furry fandom, and I find most of the MLP cartoons are good moral shows that incourage
good behavior in young people.

My enjoyment is in the art, stories and animation of most all anthropomorphic animal characters. So be
they with toes with talons, claws or hooves I like them all.

Some cartoons. and story lines can be a bit infantile. When they are I generally loose interest. 
oldrabbit.com

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 12:59:01 pm »
I had yet to see an entire MLP episode until attending MediaWestCon last month. I knew of MLP in the 1980s, but mostly through the toy ads on television and dismissed it a "girl stuff".  However, having viewed a few episodes at a room party, I found the characters to be quite harmless and even virtuous in their own way--like incouraging an old friend to be generous again, as in one episode. It was the one with Weird Al Yankovic which really got a laugh out of this howler though.

We seem to have a growing herd of MLP fursuits at Motor City Furry Convention too.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Vampyrum

• Species: Spectacled Flying Fox
  • Eater of Apples
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 09:36:05 pm »
I was interested in the furry world before MLP gen 4 released, but was a brony before jumping into the furry community headlong. I can see similarities in them both; aspects of kinship, friendliness, acceptance, and other elements (notably the artistic), as well as negatives. I think it's important to note that they are quite distinct from one another, but it by no means implies that they are mutually exclusive. There are plenty of furry bronies and those of both who are not the other. Granted, to me it really doesn't matter. I tend to look at the world from the perspective of as neutral as possible. So to me, both are simply parts of a person, as opposed to battling forces or something dramatic like that. Granted, there are folks who would gladly troll and war the two against one another. I just see no need for such.
"The world is what you make of it, sir! If it doesn't fit, you make alterations."

Offline Shivu

• Species: Wolf
  • The Blue Wolf
  • Male
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 02:01:02 pm »
I would tbh say that they are kind of alike; I'm both a furry and brony but I do keep the two seperate, I'm not like "I'm furony!" or anything as I've heard some people say (brofurry?) but they are kind of similar...

Furry- fan of generally colourful anthropomorphic creatures
Brony- fan of colourful ponies who are also anthropormorphic

Furry-Generally mixes mythological creatures with fursonas
Brony- Myth is a common theme in mlp

But there are differences;

Furry- based on nothing but general anthropomorphic animals
Brony- based on a TV series

Furry- Furry characters are all pretty much unique- but some are realistic, some are cartoony etc
Brony- Pony characters are all cartoony and all have a special ability with their cutie mark

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of any right now; I'd say it's the similarity between like... Idk, crepes and wraps XD They are similar; they have a lot of similarities but they're not the same :3
Woof!
~Shivu The Wolf
Read my fursona's comic? :D http://sooty123.deviantart.com/gallery/38828689

Offline Renault

• Species: Kitsune
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 05:53:22 pm »
No, bronies and furries are not the same. For starters, the brony group is too large to even be considered a subgroup of the furry community, as they pretty much have a culture entirely of their own, generally bearing no similarities beyond the whole "anthropomorphic interest" shebang. The mechanics of the two social aggregates are similar in the way fan media is distributed and expressed (conventions, suits, art, etc.), however I believe that is merely the usual characteristics displayed by most if not all fandoms.

Albeit, at the end of the day, it's all a matter of self-identification and up to you to choose which you affiliate with. Honestly, I never had folks mix me up with bronies in school before, even when I sat with a clique of them I'd still be distinguished from bronies. :/
Eh, I'm gonna leave this blank.

Offline Honey Bun

• Species: Bunny
  • Scurry Furry Fury!
  • Female
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 02:15:13 am »
They're completely different fandoms. However, I've met tons of furries who are bronies. Some people even have My Little Pony fursuits, or base their fursonas on the ponies. Since they've become quite intertwined,  I think people outside the fandom have just started putting the two together until people started assuming there wasn't a difference. 
*hops away*

Offline Weirdwolf

• Species: Eudyptula minor (fairy [little] penguin)
  • Call me Cookie! X3
  • Male
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2016, 09:24:09 pm »
I personally think that both fandoms at least have a common root. Of course bronies are a younger culture than the furries, yes, but that doesn't mean they aren't related fandoms by some ancestral culture that gave rise to them: children's cartoons. For me, I can't stand the brony culture, since it centers around those scary, bug-eyed equine demons that haunt my nightmares to this day (no joke). But that's not my point; my point is that they are cultures that share a common ancestry. Plenty of furries and bronies hate each other, but they can't deny that they're related culturally. Just something to think about.
Dare to be all that you can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wTWWjYTe1I

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2016, 10:09:42 pm »
Furries vs. Bronies, Are we the same?

IMO.......No.

While furries are fans of anthropomorphic animals which have existed in books, movies, tv shows, magazines, etc., etc., etc. for decades or even a century or more, Bronies are fans of a "toy franchise". That's what My Little Pony is: a toy franchise. I do not see it as being a part of, or connected in any way to, the furry fandom.

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 10:42:47 pm »
Despite the ponies being anthropomorphised and having extended into a TV show and some books as well as just toys...? :P

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#