Author Topic: 100th anniversary of Titanic sinking.  (Read 772 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
100th anniversary of Titanic sinking.
« on: April 13, 2012, 09:47:44 pm »
This weekend marks the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the British luxury liner RMS Titanic by an iceberg in the early morning hours on April 15, 1912 (Hits iceberg on April 14th at about 11:40pm. Sinks almost 3 hours later around 2:20am on April 15th). On that fateful day, 1,500 passengers and crew lost their lives, while only a little over 700 people could be saved.  :( This sinking represents the greatest and most documented and historically researched luxury liner sinking with dozens of books, movies, tv shows, etc. all describing the historic and tragic event.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic

*bows head in a moment of silence and prayer to those who were lost*

Offline WhiteStorm

Re: 100th anniversary of Titanic sinking.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 01:33:07 am »
Still, as far as deaths go, it's hard to beat for being memorable. As much as we prefer to be alive, in a way I think some of us are lucky to get something so significant. I mean think of us here - I doubt there will be any 3D movies about what killed any of us a century later. Most or all the people who remember us will probably be dead by then, and our impact on the world largely forgotten. If I got to choose I'd rather have been aboard Titanic when I was 19 than hit by a car and killed on my way home like a girl I knew a few years ago. Once her family and a few people like me are dead, probably nobody will ever think of her again.

Though, speaking for myself, I'd much prefer to be someone who died of hypothermia than drowning. I've never drowned before but I've had hypothermia, and I don't think it'd be a bad way to go. There's a kind of panic when you first realize you're dying* that really sucks, and in a quicker more painful death like drowning, that would be the last thing you felt probably. Yikes. Hypothermia, after a lot of cold and a bit of pain, you'd probably just slowly fade away - eventually there's a point where you don't even feel cold anymore (keep that in mind if you ever find yourself in such a situation and want to survive it by the way, because by then you're almost gone).

Obviously I didn't make it all the way to the end of that process, or my typing here right now would be cause for serious concern. I was pretty sick in the following weeks though.

*though not always. I panicked when I realized I was in danger from hypothermia, but I've been close to death from anaphylactic shock (or the suffocation it was causing, whichever happened faster) and I was completely calm the entire time, even while barely managing to whisper that I couldn't breathe.
-I still can't think of anything.