Author Topic: The Thing (1982) and the new prequel  (Read 982 times)

Offline MressFan

• Male
The Thing (1982) and the new prequel
« on: October 16, 2011, 02:36:42 pm »

Any fans of the 1982 John Carpenter Sci-fi horror combo masterpiece? I am, since i was 14 and has been one of my fave movies. It's a remake of the 1951 movie but a faithful re-adaptation of the novel "Who Goes There", it's still as shocking as it was today even on the gore scale and the special effects are still creepy as well.

The prequel was a fun surprise as it fills in the gaps of the 1982 movie.

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
Re: The Thing (1982) and the new prequel
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 03:36:53 pm »
I watched it, thought it was good. Then I watched John Carpenter's The Thing and gained more appreciationfor the new one because they clearly put a ton of effort into making this prequel. But I do have to say that I wish they hadn't used CGI. I despise using CGI when puppetry and animatronics work so much better. I can never suspend my belief.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 04:02:58 pm »
I haven't seen the new prequel. Though the 82 John Carpenter version was quite fun (recently watched it with friends).
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 11:44:54 pm »
I was creeped out by the sight of the sled dogs having been assimilated by the creature in the 1982 film.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 12:11:17 am »
I was creeped out by the sight of the sled dogs having been assimilated by the creature in the 1982 film.

They did a great job with the creepy factor in the film. Gotta admit that - the dog-assimilation scenes were definitely creepy.
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 12:46:57 am »

They did a great job with the creepy factor in the film. Gotta admit that - the dog-assimilation scenes were definitely creepy.

There are scenes late in the new one where people get assimilated alive. It creeped me right out. Still makes me queasy to think of it.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Tyrannus The Demon

• Your Worst Nightmare.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 07:18:51 am »
i liekd both versions :)

they were oth good i nmy opinnion and i bet tht the CGI one allows more complex movements nad stuff :)
"It all started just a few hours ago...the squad was out on routine patrol across the plains...radio contact started to fail,all we could here were terrible screams...amongst teh screasm and gun-fire,we made-out one cry,'They're coming...they're...everywhere!'."

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 10:00:23 am »
Relaxing Dragon is an inactive Furtopian but still has a semi-active post activity on FA. He's a movie critic by hobby. His FA account has over 60 movie critiques in it under his journals. So I give him as much credibility as i would any critic that is on TV or radio.

Saying that, he did a very detailed review of both films. If you want a well informed narrative and critique of the new and old films check it out, I recommend it.

http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/2815765/

Use the link above to view it, I'm not going to quote it directly here because its rather long and I don't like Walls o Text.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 05:44:31 pm »
I haven't seen any movie versions of The Thing yet.  Although, it's on my list of things to get around to eventually because I was really impressed with the recent short story version by Peter Watts.  His version tells the story from the perspective of the alien, and, like all of the work by Peter Watts that I've read so far, it's really dark and interesting.

It was actually up for a Hugo Award last year, and it's available for free at Clarkesworld for anyone who's interested in reading it:  http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline SoulFox

• Male
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 05:51:10 am »
my dad actually showed me this one a while back and i am a fan! its a great movie! i dont know if its true or not, but i heard rumors that their making a new, more recent one soon and if so im excited i have to see what all our now-a-day film productions are able to come up with
Enjoy what you have. But most importantly, nothing will ever be handed to you! Put in effort, the harder you work for something, the more rewarding it is :3

Offline Woodsmoke

• Male
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 11:26:47 am »
Ahhh, wow...I've been a huge fan of The Thing for years...but I had no idea this film had come out. I should move out from this cave. I'll definitely have to check it out, though...

But if they've used CGI, hmm...the...'spiderhead' scene from the 1982 one can't be beaten by CGI...