Author Topic: How to clean DVDs?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Taren

• Male
    • Wikifur Profile
How to clean DVDs?
« on: August 30, 2004, 06:39:35 pm »
I am planning on selling an autographed 2 the Ranting Gryphon DVD on FurBid, and want to clean the disk up, without damaging the DVD itself or the autograph.

What should I use to clean it? Water and toilet paper? Thanks, all!

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
    • http://www.whiteshepherd.furtopia.org
How to clean DVDs?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 06:55:02 pm »
I'm not sure but you should not use water.  The sticker on the top of the cd holds the encoded media and I've seen watter on that mess it up (the bottom plastic is pretty strong and see through for that media).   Is there a CD store you can call?  Perhaps they can tell you?
IRC quotes:

[05:01] <Kai_Misou> We cats sleep when we want and where we want.
[05:01] <WhiteShep> We dogs sleep WHEN we can. :/
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span =''><!--Quot

Offline Nohbdy_121

• Male
How to clean DVDs?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 08:29:09 pm »
Idunno if you can get ahold of one, but video game stores usually carry CD repair kits (The one's I've been to, at least). One I can think of right off the top of my head is called "Game Doctor" or something to that effect. I'm sure you can find something like this on ebay.

Offline Kasarn

• Beautiful Shark
  • Male
    • http://kasarn.livejournal.com
How to clean DVDs?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 11:44:40 pm »
Depends on what you mean by "clean". Generally the only safe thing you can do by yourself is use a soft dry cloth (like the type that comes with binoculars or a telescope for cleaning the lenses). Of course you can usually use a regular dry cloth to clean it up without any troubles (but don't yell at me if you scratch it).

And I have no idea whether a CD repair kit will work on a DVD (mostly because I take care of all my discs, so I've never had to worry about cleaning them outside of giving them a quick wipe on my shirt)
Do you like pillows? I do! ... because I'm only allowed soft things.

Offline Taren

• Male
    • Wikifur Profile
How to clean DVDs?
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 10:44:44 am »
Quote (Kasarn @ Aug. 30 2004, 11:44 pm)
Depends on what you mean by "clean". Generally the only safe thing you can do by yourself is use a soft dry cloth (like the type that comes with binoculars or a telescope for cleaning the lenses). Of course you can usually use a regular dry cloth to clean it up without any troubles (but don't yell at me if you scratch it).

And I have no idea whether a CD repair kit will work on a DVD (mostly because I take care of all my discs, so I've never had to worry about cleaning them outside of giving them a quick wipe on my shirt)

What exactly do CD Repair kits do? Fill in the minor scratches?

Offline Bluetail

• Female
How to clean DVDs?
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 01:32:51 pm »
I know how those Game DR things work... you -don't- want one. They abrase the surface of the disc. Useful if your disc has, say, a damn stab wound, but -not- for cleaning. I even refuse to buy games which have been 'refaced' in this fashion.

Use either the soft lens-grade cloth (easily avilable... since they're mostly used to clean glasses) or the lens cleaning paper cloths which are soaked in a solution which gets most things off without undue disc damage. I personally use them on Playstation cds and have had no incidences of damage. Yay!

Basically, most stuff used to clean glasses is okay. They aren't normally caustic, and they're made not to damage items you have to see though, so they normally work okay =3...

I don't know about the writing though. Depends if it's permenant or not. Just be very careful around it!

Offline Lurch

• Male
    • Furry LiveJournal
How to clean DVDs?
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 01:31:32 am »
Quote (Taren Fox @ Aug. 31 2004, 10:44 am)
Quote (Kasarn @ Aug. 30 2004, 11:44 pm)

What exactly do CD Repair kits do? Fill in the minor scratches?

No, they polish them out.

That stuff is the same thing as metal polish. It is an abrasive and will take down the plastic a little. The thing you need to watch out for is the label side. This is EXTREMELY fragile. Just plain don't touch it. there is not 1.2 mm of polycarbonite protecting the label side, just the thin ink of the label. If this is a dual layer DVD, and not a burned one you can beat on those pretty hard, but don't get it wet at all. The silver layer inbetween is famous for "rotting" on those from moisture. The corrosion starts at the edge and works it's way in making the disc unplayable. The safest way to clean any disc is gently support it while wiping the dirt off from the center to the edge, slightly damp crapper paper works great ':cool:' . After that you can use the polish to pretty it up.

So you know there is a product out there that claims to fill scratches in discs, but my wife's video store does not use it.
-+Lurch+-