Author Topic: What's your idea of true happiness?  (Read 2283 times)

What's your idea of true happiness?
« on: September 05, 2004, 06:01:44 pm »
O.K, i'm trying to get a poll for this story i'm writing I just wanted to know what do people do to make them happy or what is your idea of a perfect/ happy life. The story is basically about a boy (a wolf) who searches for true happiness after his parents die in an accident and in his search, he meet a bunch of different characters who teaches him a little bit about life but, in the end he has to figure out what really makes him happy. The boy really has had a hard life and really had no aim in life. Up until when his parents died, he never questioned societies views on hapiness (like the american dream- a house, a car, a wife/ husband, 2.5 kids, a pet, a dream career, etc.) That's why I wanted to know what makes you all happy or what do you think is the perfect life (within means). BTW, I haven't decided on a name for it yet. I wil post it here when I finish it. Thank you!

Offline Savaaha

• Female
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 06:16:58 pm »
happeness is a stable/paid for home and car. Thats all Id need right now I think. An extra toy would be fun too, a 4wheeler or horse with cart.

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 06:50:49 pm »
Happiness is a cozy home, someone to share it with (sometimes or 24/7), and supporting it by being paid to do what you would otherwise do for free.

Or to sum it up, a job you love, a home you love, and the one you love.

Offline Nohbdy_121

• Male
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 08:04:27 pm »
Happiness:

*Beautiful abode

*Your dream car(s)

*The perfect lover

*Your dream Armoury

Offline Rikimaru

• Much Love
  • Male
    • http://rikimaru2004.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004, 08:52:47 pm »
happiness=

a comfortable lifestyle with the one you love, the job you love and a friends and family you love
ANYONE WANNA CHAT? DETAILS ARE IN MY PROFILE!

Truism of the week: Eggs are most likely to be eggs.

I may be human...but i love all

Offline Admiral Purge

• Male
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004, 11:45:56 pm »
I've heard alot of ideas of "ultimate happiness" that sound pretty convincing. I like the idea that happiness is to be found in responsibility.

Of course, the idea that happiness is the ability to be cruel without fear of reciprocation is also very, very accurate, no matter how much one might detest this.

I think right now though that just power would make me plenty happy. Any sort of power brings happiness, as far as I'm concerned; but unearned power can get stale very quickly... so long term, as in a perfect life, it would be acquiring a great deal of power and influence through effort.

There's also a happiness to be found in the pursuit of knowledge, but it is much more solemn. An ivory-tower intellectual would probably not be a great idea for a main character, but if in your fictional world knowledge worth discovering must be found out in ancient ruins or some such, you might have a winner. Of course, they say that knowledge is power, so that might have a more literal meaning in your story and it would all tie into the first ideas anyway.
The Apology That Nobody Will Read

My Live Journal - Tachibana General Laboratories

"You know it would scare the s*** out of al Qaeda if suddenly a bunch of black ninjas rappelled out of helicopters into the middle of their camp." Clinton, quo

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 12:17:11 am »
the charecter in your story has the same problem as me, I dont know what pure happiness would be for me. I know I don't like the idea of trying to find happiness in material things though, the world and human mind just doesn't work that way and they can be taken away.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline anguis

• Male
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 02:33:50 am »
For me all I would need to truly be happy is someone (Im not talking about family or friends)... IMHO stuff like the perfect house, car, money... etc in general brings only temporary happiness.

-=anguis=-

Offline Sporty Fox

• Male
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2004, 11:26:18 am »
To me that kind of happiness would be the ability to pursue what ever interest captures my fancy at the moment, and to be able to change on a whim what that pursute may be.
"I'm no longer active here but those wishing to contact me can thru e-mail or my LJ. Please note that I cannot receive or respond to PM's sent thru Furtopia."

http://sporty-fox.livejournal.com/

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004, 12:09:08 pm »
Quote (Admiral Purge @ Sep. 05 2004, 11:45 pm)
Of course, the idea that happiness is the ability to be cruel without fear of reciprocation is also very, very accurate, no matter how much one might detest this.

I understand what you're saying, although I think it would be more accurate to say happiness is the ability to be yourself regardless of opinion or consequences.  I specify such because I can laugh whenever something I say or do aggravates or offends someone, but an act that could be described as cruel to me would be something said or done just for the purpose of aggravating or offending someone.  I could agree that happiness could be found in being yourself even if it hurts someone else, but not in going out of your way to hurt someone else.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you -- I'm just trying to phrase it a little more accurately.

Offline AladTheAnthroMeerkat

• Timon? Issat you?
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004, 08:32:07 pm »
Anything other than the situation i have right now, i know that for sure.

(No money, no job, no flat of my own... meh.)

Offline Admiral Purge

• Male
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2004, 10:46:24 pm »
Terastas - That is an interesting idea.

You should know, however, that the original statement isn't really my idea, it's almost a direct quote from Nietzche's "Geneology of Morals".

I can't finish the quote perfectly, but the reason I buy it, and the reason I say cruelty specifically, is that I am thinking of cruelty in a very physical and material sense. While flaunting an offensive opinion can be fun (I occaisionally enjoy wearing a Baphomet medallion, for example, though I doubt anybody recognizes it) and could sometimes be considered cruelty, I was thinking more of illegal cruelties.

The basic arguement goes that the real reason we have laws is so that certain levels of cruelty are illegal. An example: While nearly everybody has wanted to kill somebody at some point, almost nobody would like to be killed themselves. The fear of cruelty being inflicted upon one's self typically outweighs the desire to be cruel, so we have agreed (a la the Social Contract theory) that nobody is allowed to be that cruel.

The "evidence" cited includes ancient laws which would be considered cruel and unusual punishment, such as "eye for an eye", or, as the Romans called it, Lex Talionis (Let the punishment fit the crime). This certainly doesn't prove the theory, but then, philosophical views rarely can be proven. I have thought about it and it seems to fit.

I understand that you are not disagreeing with me, and I thank you for the reply. I just thought you might want alittle background, since the statement itself is admittedly shocking and "out there" from the mainstream.
The Apology That Nobody Will Read

My Live Journal - Tachibana General Laboratories

"You know it would scare the s*** out of al Qaeda if suddenly a bunch of black ninjas rappelled out of helicopters into the middle of their camp." Clinton, quo

Offline Autumn Fire

• Confident Kitty
  • Female
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2004, 10:51:06 pm »
Pure Happiness? Not having to worry about money, and drawing when I feel like it, and having someone to love with me.
Life is rocky but keep climbing! It is most definitely worth it!

My dA account
My Furaffinity account
My Nabyn Page

Offline User_of_Shadows

• Male
    • www.shadow_user.furtopia.org
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2004, 11:30:38 pm »
Be able to travel the world with the one you love and explore. And the ability to come back to a home.
My Furry Code
FXGp5amrw A- C*>++ D H+++ M+ P+ R++ T+++ W>++++ Z Sm+ RLRB a19 c++++ d- e>+++ f h* iwf+ j+ p+ sf-

Offline Fox G4

• Male
    • http://www.dialwforwarp.com/
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2004, 07:24:24 pm »
To me happiness has to be found rather than a pleasurable activity. It lies not in the capacity to act but in the experience of life lived to the fullest, that which brings tremendous joy. However as a rebuttal to that, according to Aristotle, no area to which happiness can be found should be ruled out.

I guess really, as Greeks believe, if you pass away having said "Thanks it's been great!" then you've found true happiness. ':?:'

"Respect to the man in the ice cream van!" -- Scooter

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2004, 12:52:50 pm »
I'm hearing some great ideas!

Stability (Money)
Power/control over your enviornment
Knowlege
Comfort of a good friend
Being yourself
being paid for smething you would do for free

They all sound great. I'll incorporate this into my book.

Here is a small little bit of the plot of my story which I have so far dubbed "The Wizard Of Oz".

The main character in my story, who I have named Oz for right now, is based on me (but not all me). He doen't have any good friendships, close rlatives, money, or an idea of what love is. (This is like  my life only exaggerated a lot) Up until his parents died and he had to live on the streets, Oz only really cared about the marterial things, even though they were borderline poor. He is homeless for about 2 weeks. Fed up with todays society's need for money, he decides to move back to his roots, The Woods. He lives there happily for some time until his life is changed yet again when he meets a runaway child that has been missing for about a month. Oz talks the the child and tells him about when he was homeless and convineced the kid to go back home. When Oz takes the kid back home he recieves a 100,000 dollar reward from the kid's parents. Instead of going back to the way hew was, only caring about marterial things, he decides to find a way to be truly happy. (In this part of the book, Oz is about 19-21) Even though Oz is practicaly set for life, he only buys one outfit and a plane ticket to Paris.
             Once in paris, Oz meets an American Artist. They talk and the artist (which I haven't named yet) really likes Oz's looks (not in that way) and decides to paint him. The Artist decides to let Oz stay with him for a while while he paints the picture. The Artist teaches Oz some things about life, like how to be a man. The Artist moved to Paris to study art when he got out of high school (He is now inhis late 50's). Only a year after he moved to Paris he had a gallery opening. He became really famous and made a lot of money over the years and bought a mansion near paris. His parents never really approved of him going away to study and when he became famous he decided not to speak with them. Well they died and he never saw them again and he fame ran out. He had to sell the house and most of his personal belongings.

Oz learns a lot from The artist since he was more of a role model to him than his father. The painting was done and Oz decided to go. (he stayed there for about 6 months) The painting was called "For The Common Man". Oz moves back to the US and decides to go to Net York. . . I have more, but I can't tell entire story. This is about 1/5 of the story's plot as of now. But for all that must know, there is a sort of Wizard in this story.

Thank again everyone! The help is really apreciated!