Author Topic: Nvidia GeForce 8800GS problem  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Baako

• Big scaly bundle of boring ^__^
  • Male
Nvidia GeForce 8800GS problem
« on: December 26, 2008, 02:27:33 pm »
Ok, so I just installed my new graphics card and installed all drivers, but now the graphics on my machine are HORRIBLE! No anti aliasing at all and colours going a bit crazy.

Now I know the 8800GS is waaaay better than this and my previous built-in Intel card pumped out better graphics than this, but according to my devices manager I am running on the Nvidia with no problems...

Now to show you the kind of graphics it is giving, here is a screenshot of my iTunes...
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj223/Extraho/aaaarrrg.jpg

The pink is part of the problem, before I installed the 8800 it looked like a normal iTunes.

I have messed around with the Nvidia settings, trying everything from 'Performance oriented' to 'Quality oriented' nothing seems to work.

If anyone can shed some light on this I would be most thankful.

EDIT: I resolved the issue, when I installed the new drivers my computer was reverted back to 16bit rather than 32.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 03:07:36 pm by Neifon Baako »

Please give 'em a click ^..^

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
Re: Nvidia GeForce 8800GS problem
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 03:42:05 pm »
Glad you got it resolved on your own, but congrats on the awesome card. I've got the 8800M GTX in my laptop and all I can say is *drooooooooooool* Though I suspect yours could still outperform mine by a small bit since it is the desktop version.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 03:52:09 pm »
When putting in new cards they have a habit of defaulting back to the simplest values. Sometimes even the res gets put to 640x480.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Baako

• Big scaly bundle of boring ^__^
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 04:04:40 pm »
Yeah my resolution got reset, I quickly spotted the huge icons and changed it back to 1440x900, but I had no idea it would reset to 16bit x_x

I also have no idea how awesome the card is, I simply take my step-dad's word that its a good card :P (he has the GT version of the 8800)

Please give 'em a click ^..^

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 04:07:59 pm »
Until recently, the 8800 was the top dog of nVidia in its various forms. I think the GS was the little brother of the group but still one of the best. They've recently come out with the 9800's now, which I'm not sure how they may differ in raw speeds from the 8800's (if any). I do know the 9800's come in up to 1GB memory in a single card and 8800 is limited to 512MB.

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 05:05:58 pm »
My 8800 Ultra was 786mb. I skipped the series 9 cards because they weren't a big leap from the 8800's. The series 10 would be a better jump from the series because it's a bigger performance different. Personally I thnik the series 9 was rushed >_> I believe the gtx 295 will have 1.7Gb's on memory on it. That'll drain you systam ram capacity on 32bit OS's x.x

However the series 8's are still good cards. They can confidently play the latest games with good graphics without a drop in the frame rate.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 06:20:13 pm »
If it helps you get a frame of reference on what to expect, I play MS Flight Sim X on a bit lower than max settings (like about 3/4) and get about 30'ish FPS. Other than the mobile 8800M GTX, it's an intell E8400 Duo Core (3GHz/1333MHz FSB), 4GB ram, and 200GB 7200RPM HDD. Being a laptop, it hold's its own well.