Author Topic: Buying a tablet, whats a good one?  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Keryth

• I challenge you to a battle of knives!
  • Male
    • I challenge you to a battle of knives!
Buying a tablet, whats a good one?
« on: January 28, 2009, 12:49:43 am »
So looking at work done on a tablet VS paper, and using a tablet once before, seems I can do much better work on a tablet than I can in a notebook. Eventually gonna buy one when I save up enough money from work. What would be a good one to get?
Its all moved to here: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/keryth/
Ya know, me being here has a inevitable sense of irony since truthfully, I am not a furry.
I challenge you to a battle of knives!

Offline Suzume

Re: Buying a tablet, whats a good one?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:56:21 am »
I'm also curious. I've heard that, um, Wacom is good? I'm probably going to purchase one as well.

Offline Feathertail

• Writing is Flight!
  • Male
    • Feathertail's Dreamwidth journal
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 12:04:43 pm »
Wacom Bamboo tablets are the entry-level ones. You could probably find a used Graphire (their older entry-level tablets), though, used on eBay for less.

Offline ObliviousAlly

• Ally the Sparkly
  • Female
    • Pipedreams
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 12:52:37 pm »
Wacom tablets are good. I've had mine for...god, at least five years and I haven't had to replace anything (admittedly, I don't use it as heavily as some do). I have a Graphire, but they've recently rstopped making the Graphire and started making the Bamboo, which is about the same thing.

Offline sniffswind

• Male
    • www.sniffs-place.furtopia.org
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 06:32:02 pm »
the hardest part about tring to find a tablet is finding a place that stocks them PHYSICALLY.  some of us are chary over using any sort of Credit Card or whatever over the net, and tend to rather want to purchase things physically.

heck, even the local office supply stores don't have them, here.  they have to be special ordered, and cost you an arm and a leg.

Offline Ratchet

• The urban fox
  • Male
    • astrofox.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 08:15:07 pm »
I've got an A5 Wacom bamboo fun, which is good, (not that i have anything to compare it to :) )

It cost about £55 iirc (I get discount from my work, there usually £68) there are cheaper models in the bamboo range though (think the cheapest is about £30) but they don't have some of the features like the extra buttons, which may or may not be a problem for you.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 08:17:48 pm by Ratchet »
Is that what the future holds ? Kevlar or cherry wood ? malevolence or good ?
fur code: FCF3adrw A C- D H M- P- R+ T+++ W Z+ Sm+ RLE* a clmu++++ d+ e+ f h* iwf++ j+ p- sm--

My Live Journal: http://astrovulpine.livejournal.com/

Offline Dragore

• Jesus loves you.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 08:09:05 pm »
HP is right now the leader in touchscreen PCs. go for the HP touchsmart. or one of there touchscreen laptops. they are real nice

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 11:06:11 pm »
I have a Wacom Intuos 3, and I love it. And I'd highly recommend the brand (wacom) because it's a good quality, and the pen doesn't need batteries or a cord or anything like that.

As for which model, it depends how much you're willing to pay and what you plan to use it for.  The lower cost ones have lower levels of pressure sensitivity. Having not used one, I can't say for sure. But, 512 levels of pressure sensitivity stills sounds pretty good.

Offline Scrimno

• 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • Male
    • Scrimno's FA
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 11:22:45 pm »
I've had a Wacom Graphire for 8 years and it's served me well. The sensitive area is 3.75x5 which is plenty. I got mine for about $80 back then and I just saw some Wacom Bamboo tablets at Best Buy for $70.
Join Return of the Werewolf with me! I'm looking for more players! Go to http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php/topic,40266.0.html

Offline Yurodivy

• Sensation, abberation, repulsive, tantalizing
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 04:21:57 pm »
Another vote for Wacom from me. ^_^ I got a Wacom Bamboo as a Christmas present, and it works great. It's way, way better than using a mouse to draw.
We paint in black and white and you're the dirty in between
Monstrosity of nature
A virulent disease

-Avantasia, Twisted Mind

Offline screaMFox

• Male
    • FA
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 06:09:16 pm »
I got a Wacom Intuos II tablet on Ebay for about $120 USD. It works perfectly and I love it.

Wacom generally makes the best tablets. If you want to get more into digital art and editing seriously then I suggest an Intuos - you won't have to upgrade it later down the road. If you just want to doodle and play around with the tablet for fun then a Bamboo will work just fine. Some artists I know make some great art with Bamboos - the resolution of the tablets might not matter too much because when drawing huge pictures or very detailed works you will be zooming in on different parts of the drawing anyways.

My suggestion would be to find a used Wacom Intuos II or III. Probably a II though. They are cheaper and work the same.

Hope this helps at all  :)
:3
Check out my music on my FA! furaffinity.net/user/screamfox/