Author Topic: Really cheap laptop?  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Baako

• Big scaly bundle of boring ^__^
  • Male
Really cheap laptop?
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:31:00 pm »
Does anyone know if its possible to get a laptop for under £30 (need to pay for P&P too), it only needs to be able to run Ubuntu and Word.

It also can't be too huge as the whole point of getting one is so I don't have to carry my desk around  :D

I searched eBay and Amazon, but only found 1 possible lappy.

I know its a bit tight, but all I have is £30  (:

Please give 'em a click ^..^

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
Re: Really cheap laptop?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 11:27:44 pm »
According to a currency calculater I check quickly online, that equates to less than USD$50. I think ebay or other re-sellers of used units and the like will be about your only bet. Anything brand new will definately be too expensive, and no one would refurbish a unit if it'd only sell for that much because there wouldn't be enough profit. I don't know what the system requirements would need to be to run those things, but I'm gonna bet nearly impossible to find it for that price. You may be looking at something with a single core 1GHz CPU, 512MB ram, and *maybe* a 20 GB HDD. Those are just guesses, though. I wouldn't be suprised if even that was impossible to find at that price and still be in working order.

Best of luck to you, and let us know how it works out. Especially if you succeed.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 03:26:08 am »
Could try those Indian Laptops that are gonna cost $10. Whether they'll be a world release is another question.

Unless you buy second hand then £30 is very optimistic. That being said I wouldn't even know where to start looking.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Baako

• Male
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 07:10:25 am »
Second hand was what I was looking for, just anything that still works will do >.<

Offline Mazz

• CAW!
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:50:20 pm »
I dunno if the UK has a craigslist but check there or ebay. Though second hand for that cheap might end up getting you something broken.

Good luck, I ended up saving for ages to put the $1,000(US funds) towards a Sony Vaio, best choice I ever made was saving for something so amazing!

I'd check for local computer forums to your area as well. Maybe you can find something there.
--

Though I havn't even found working used laptops that cheap around here.
http://mazz.livejournal.com/
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/mazz/
http://tornfeathers.deviantart.com
http://tornfeathers.tumblr.com
--

Rehabber by trade, conservationist by choice
Love your wildlife where it belongs, in the wild

Offline Baako

• Male
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:14:13 pm »
Blah, I got my Debit card today and wen't crazy buying stuffses... spending all my money in the process X_X

I'll just save my EMA up and buy a slightly better one like you said. I should have about £240 after 2 months.... provided I can wait that long  (:

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 01:21:41 pm »
You'd probably find it much easier if you put another week of EMA towards it.

Also, for anyone who knows of a cheap laptop he can get (And since he didn't mention it himself :D ), the minimum requirements for ubuntu are
# 300 MHz x86 processor
# 64 MB of system memory (RAM)
# At least 4 GB of disk space (for full installation and swap space)
# VGA graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution
# CD-ROM drive or network card

And the recomended is:
# 700 MHz x86 processor
# 384 MB of system memory (RAM)
# 8 GB of disk space
# Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution
# Sound card
# A network or Internet connection

AHH interception.

Anyways, yeah, thats a good idea

Offline Baako

• Male
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 02:29:41 pm »
Ubuntu doesn't have major system requirements, but thanks for the specs, I'll double check with this thread before I go buying anything :)

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 03:04:11 am »
£240 will get you a netbook. Not exactly the greatest things in the world but are small and can word process or browse the net. Can't do much else but a large majority come with a linux variant. If you can get upto £500 then you can get a cheap laptop. Least that way you'll have a dvd drive x3
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3

Offline Ratchet

• The urban fox
  • Male
    • astrofox.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 07:40:23 pm »
£30 aint a lot for a laptop, however you can pick them up for that or even less, I got a windows 95 era compaq a while back for free, which I put xubuntu (even smaller than ubuntu so useful on really old stuff) on, ok it wouldn't set the world on fire but it could run gimp, open office, firefox and most other Linux programs fine. If i hadn't given it to my sister you could have had it for the price of postage. (I'll see if she no longer needs it but no promises 8))

If your willing to spend a bit more it might be worth having a look at ex display models or repaired customer returns from the likes of dixons or curry's (my current laptop cost me £150 from curry's)

I would keep an eye on ebay as there are occasionally some bargin's to be had on there, I'm not sure what other forums your on but i occasionally see realy cheap laptops on a car forum i frequent. It might also be worth trying your local Gumtree.com as well.
Is that what the future holds ? Kevlar or cherry wood ? malevolence or good ?
fur code: FCF3adrw A C- D H M- P- R+ T+++ W Z+ Sm+ RLE* a clmu++++ d+ e+ f h* iwf++ j+ p- sm--

My Live Journal: http://astrovulpine.livejournal.com/

Offline Baako

• Male
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 09:58:45 am »
McMajik has offered me a free laptop which has no HDD, so I can just buy a new one and essentially get a lappy for £60 :D

Thanks Dude! :D

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 10:47:04 am »
If you're going with an internal HDD, make sure you can find one for that specific lappy first. Not sure if they have an industry standard for them or not in laptops. Of course you can find externals too for not much more for the same storage size.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 11:47:09 am »
McMajik has offered me a free laptop which has no HDD, so I can just buy a new one and essentially get a lappy for £60 :D

Wow. Props to the Maj.

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 12:58:26 pm »

Wow. Props to the Maj.

:D
Meh, its just going to be thrown out otherwise, so i might as well give it to someone who'll actually use it.

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 04:01:46 pm »
Laptop drives are pretty easy to find since they are 2.5" drives  :)
ಠ_ಠ