Author Topic: DriverScanner - Legit or scam?  (Read 7158 times)

Offline guf

• Male
DriverScanner - Legit or scam?
« on: March 10, 2009, 12:14:19 pm »
I stumbled across this while updating my FireFox. There was a link from NoScript's website. Normally I'd never give one of these "scan your computer" things another look, but NoScript is good stuff... and a link from them carries a bit of weight in my consideration.

The link goes to http://www.liutilities.com/products/campaigns/affiliate/offer/flashgot/ds/opt03109/a/ (link left cold on purpose, in case this *is* a scam) .

So, what do y'all know? Is this legit and good stuff, or is it a nasty hoax?

Edit to add:  Furtopia makes my link hot automagically.  Please note that I am not sure whether this points to a scam site, so use discretion before you click on it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:47:31 pm by guf »
I survived Furtopia Forum Nuking '08.

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
Re: DriverScanner - Legit or scam?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 02:02:12 pm »
Unless your 100% sure what the program does and who it's from is legit then don't try it.

Things like this I never trust. Whether it's legit or not it'll dl a program to run the scan (I check. It dl's an .exe) then charge you to change anything after scanning. Aside from that it could be a pain to remove too.

Perhaps do a quick google and gets some reviews/opinions on it. It'll soon tell you if it's worth anything.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 02:03:51 pm by Weisseman »
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline guf

• Male
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 02:20:42 pm »
Since I posted, I tried to do some searching for it, but not with much luck.  The pages that I find are generally download links with happy-sappy boilerplate.

I think I'll give this one a pass...  as much as I'd love to have a hand keeping my multitude of device drivers up to date.
I survived Furtopia Forum Nuking '08.

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 03:17:45 pm »
I have seen programs that do prompt you to update drivers. But they point you to the respective sites to install yourself. I don't personally use one though.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Feathertail

• Writing is Flight!
  • Male
    • Feathertail's Dreamwidth journal
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 04:11:47 pm »
PC Magazine in the UK gives it five stars: http://www.pcmag.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2222801/drivescanner

A number of other reviews suggest that it's a legit product, although you may want to make sure that you've got the right URL for them and not some kind of a fake.

Offline Bloodtooth

• Dread Pirate
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 09:38:09 pm »
This is one of those programs where I ask myself "Why do you need this?"

I personally wouldn't trust it or bother with it - because A) it's pointless B) The site looks ALOT like a large number of scam programs I have seen, and the idea of a "driver scanner" whilst nice, I see spam banners saying "CHECK FOR DRIVER PROBLEMS NOW! FIX YOUR PC GO FASTER GET HOT GIRLS AND MONEY".

But that said, it could be real. And a rule of thumb that is good - if you can't find evidence backing it up on google, except links to downloads - don't bother. Look for reviews from reputable sources, etc. If a program is real, it'll have reviews, or forums talking about it. Hence why a quick google will put anyone off buying Norton or McAfee or the like (McAfee Firewall is godawfully designed).

Generally though, safety before all with this stuff.

Pets name: Harry
Welcome to the abandoned land
Come on in, child; Take my hand
Here there's no work or play
Only one bill to pay
There's just five words to say
As you go down, down, down

You're gonna burn in hell!