Author Topic: Looking for a laptop  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Mianame

• Female
    • www.mirches.deviantart.com
Looking for a laptop
« on: March 31, 2009, 01:59:58 pm »
I'm looking to purchase a laptop. A real old clunker most likely, something around fifty dollars if I can help it. Obviously this would mean the thing wouldn't have much power or speed. All I'm really looking for is something that can do three things; connect to the internet, run Furcadia and let me type stuff in a word document. Since Furcadia says it can run on Windows 98 I figure I'll probably be going for something that runs on that since it will cost less.

But when I was looking around E-bay I quickly realized that I know absolutely nothing about laptops! Is there a preferred brand of any sort? And does anyone know if I get something old that runs on Windows 98 if it will have trouble connecting to wireless internet?

Offline Bloodtooth

• Dread Pirate
  • Male
Re: Looking for a laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:51:13 pm »
Aight.

For wireless internet, unless you are willing to spend a bit more I reackon, you'll need to buy a USB adapter, or a wireless card if the laptop takes expansion cards (A big slotty bit on the side).

Windows 98 is the minimum really, though it'll need drivers with USB stuff, not really much plug and play support. XP would be much better. I'd want to spend about £120/$125 or so. I think that's roughly the exchange rate now.

But, £50 is do-able. Old Dell's are pretty sturdy and last FOREVER it seems. Batteries not so much. Grab a cheap one with win98 and get a $5 USB wireless adapter, it'll have a driver CD, install that and go!

Also go into town and leach company internet for free, win-win!

Pets name: Harry
Welcome to the abandoned land
Come on in, child; Take my hand
Here there's no work or play
Only one bill to pay
There's just five words to say
As you go down, down, down

You're gonna burn in hell!

Offline Ratchet

• The urban fox
  • Male
    • astrofox.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 05:31:15 pm »
Personally id get something that runs XP mainly cause there's not much software support for 98 now, and I'm 99% sure you can't use wireless internet with it either (well not with a whole load of hassle).

You can still pick up a XP machine for under $50 or if you get hold of something older you could run linux (you can use furcadia on linux if you run it via wine)

Is that what the future holds ? Kevlar or cherry wood ? malevolence or good ?
fur code: FCF3adrw A C- D H M- P- R+ T+++ W Z+ Sm+ RLE* a clmu++++ d+ e+ f h* iwf++ j+ p- sm--

My Live Journal: http://astrovulpine.livejournal.com/

Offline Mianame

• Female
    • www.mirches.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:14:03 pm »
All right then, thanks you guys! I figured 98 would be cheaper but I found some that seem to be decently priced for around that range. Old of course, but good enough to serve my purposes. I'll try and see if I can't find a Dell one as well :3 Thanks again!