Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 3556 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Windows 7
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:29:12 pm »
Back in April, Microsoft stopped sending updates to Microsoft Windows XP users. So right now, I'm thinking of switching to Windows 7 OS. But the thing is, I know nothing about that operating system, the Pros and the Cons. And how many different versions are there of it and which one would be the best? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 01:31:56 am »
Windows 7 is the best windows OS currently available.  If you're used to XP it won't be that far of a jump.  Avoid 8 like the plague.

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 02:00:28 am »
Like Alsek said, Windows 7 is the best OS currently available. Windows vista is cluttered and slow (need more processing to run) and windows 8 is an absolute disaster and it takes too much effort to get things working.

For a personal computer Windows 7 Home Premium is the version that you probably want to get.

Here is a list to compare the different features offered in the different versions: http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/windows-7-product-editions-a-comparison-128684

Just to give you an idea of how much Windows 7 Home Premium costs, I ordered it online at $115AU (shipping not included)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 02:12:14 am by Sciex »

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 08:25:39 am »
Avoid 8 like the plague.

I intend to. ;)

Offline Mylo

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 10:31:06 am »
windows 8 is an absolute disaster and it takes too much effort to get things working.

I wonder why everyone has such a hard time with Windows 8...it's basically just a different start menu.

But then again, I still use Windows 7 since I am used to it and have no intention of switching to 8.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 12:30:08 pm »
I have found windows 7 not that much different than XP. It still has the
start button and program menu much the same as XP. Once you get
used to it. You should find it easier to customize the setup how you like it.

I have win8 and win7 both on the same computer since my new computer
came with 8.

Though windows 8.1 is quite different. I have  found it to work much the
same as win7 once you get past the icon interface. Only thing is win8 won't
accept older programs as well as win7 seems to. So I use win7 for most
of my older software.

All that said I would choose win7 over 8 for an upgrade.. You can upgrade
to 7 from XP.. So that will save you a few bucks.. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Fuyurin

• Female
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 08:00:11 pm »
I was a diehard user of XP until 7 came out, and the transition was fairly easy for me. When I had to buy a new computer that came with 8, I immediately downgraded to 7 for my desktop. My laptop has 8 and I'm all "eh" about it. It's not the worst thing in the entire world but I'm not entirely impressed with 8. 7 all the way for me.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 01:29:40 am »
When I had to buy a new computer that came with 8, I immediately downgraded upgraded to 7 for my desktop.

Fix'd.   ;)

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 10:46:46 am »
Windows 8 has more compatibility issues, and isn't as reliable (Sometimes things just inexplicably go very very wrong).
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline the lone shadow wolf

• Species: eurasion wolf with a little silver fox
  • dont mind me just telecomuting from the darkness
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 03:36:02 pm »
i know, microsoft has been really slipped lately  :(
the Xbox one was just terrable  :P
I will see you all soon
in the future :goldgrin:

if you wish to find me elsewere look here
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/theloneshadowwolf/

check out my latest art here V
http://forums.furtopia.org/artwork-techniques-tutorials/the-lone-shadow-wolf-will-improve!/50/

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 12:19:23 pm »
windows 8 is an absolute disaster and it takes too much effort to get things working.

I wonder why everyone has such a hard time with Windows 8...it's basically just a different start menu.

But then again, I still use Windows 7 since I am used to it and have no intention of switching to 8.
No, it's not just a different start menu. There are numerous things wrong with it. Such as:

-The Flattened Design. It's no longer always obvious whats a button, a text box, or just normal text.
-Hidden Features. You have to go to various edges, etc. This can be almost as bad as the features not existing.
-Apps that Run Full Screen Only. The Metro "split screen" thing is a pathetic substitute for normal windows.
-You Can't Close Apps. (at least not easily). Instead they give control of this to the OS.
-Less Information Density. Often things are arranged for small screen devices and fat fingers on a touch screen.
    Despite the fact that keyboard and mouse users have larger screens and high click precision.

I could probably list more, but the point is that win 8 is simply a poor choice for desktop use.

Offline CodeSquirrel

• Species: Gray squirrel or something
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 10:22:16 am »
For the brief time I came into contact with it (volunteer "IT" job; set up a couple of new laptops), while I didn't think it was that horrible, I didn't think it was a terribly smart move by MS, either.  I agree with most people that the deliberate and forceful "tabletization" of the Start menu and other such things wasn't exactly bright…I figure they mostly just wanted to try to jump on the mobile bandwagon and "unify" their interface so that they'd get more people used to the "mobile" way of doing things, as opposed to the traditional desktop/laptop workflow, because "LOL PC is dead".

-You Can't Close Apps. (at least not easily). Instead they give control of this to the OS.

Ugh, I hate this design philosophy, too…"let's just leave things running in the background, because responsiveness…and also data mining (assuming you're also connected to the internet, which I'm often not) :y".  More often than not, I find myself going into the little "task manager" app on my Android phone to kill things that I really don't want running.  Even that doesn't show everything, though; only processes that actually have a UI "activity" associated with them are shown in the "running apps" list.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 11:37:51 am »
I don't use w 8.1 much, but I have it set up to open in a
desktop mode. So I can skip the ICon only screen.  :D

They should have had a Legacy option built in for those of
us who like w7 or xp.

By the way you can close most full screen apps by going back to desktop
or the start screen. then run the cursor to the upper left where it opens a
tiny copy of the open app. Right click it and you can choose to close it.

A long way around to close a app.. ugh..
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:51:32 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 10:57:59 pm »
I could have elaborated more, but I didn't want to distract from the main topic which is windows 7. However...

However, you've reminded me of three problematic things with the last three, but luckily the third and fifth options are easily fixable (the split screen thing is pathetic, I agree, but the information density thing was solved I think in Windows Phone 8.1).  I think the fourth one would be harder to fix since that's just the way the OS works, but I'm not to sure.  Still....these shouldn't be things that need to be fixed considering it's been a standard thing for decades.
I don't know what you are possibly talking about as NONE of those things have been standard in any way for the windows OS. The only apps that only run full screen are things like games, but for normal apps no way is that acceptable. And I have -never- used or even heard of another desktop OS that doesn't let the user control what apps are running and which get closed. Taking that kind of control away is insane. And the information density thing... again this has never been an issue with any prior versions of windows. So while win 8 may be fine for a touch device, for desktop use it is a big step backwards. And thus a horrible mistake on MS's part to try to force desktop users into it.

---

Now, to direct the conversation beck to Win 7 (which doesn't have any of those problems by the way), there are a couple things about it that tend to annoy me. Though they are admittedly minor.

-I don't like windows snapping to the screen edges.
I commonly move windows partially off screen to move them out of the way, and this feature ends up just making those windows get in my way worse. Thankfully, you can turn this feature off.

-I also don't like the shake window to close all other windows. However, I've only ran into this a couple times by accedent. Most the time it's a non issue.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 08:52:06 pm »
In my original post, I had mentioned that Microsoft was stopping updates to XP users back in April. Well, funny thing is, here it is June and I have had 3 updates (Last one a few days ago) and I'm still using Windows XP.  :o
Is it possible that updates are only being discontinued for some versions of XP, while other versions might still get updates?

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 12:08:19 am »
Windows Update is used by other things as well, like updating Office or drivers for hardware once they've been WHQL approved. There's a good chance those updates where for something other than XP.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:10:07 am by Weisseman »
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*