Author Topic: Oh PETA.  (Read 8065 times)

Offline Sharg

• Male
Re: Oh PETA.
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2009, 05:26:36 pm »
Funny thing about PETA.  They run alot of "kill" animal shelters.  So much for loving the animals, right?

If you support animal rights, you'd be much better served by the ASPCA

oh, not to mention they have admitted and been caught trying to steal families pets?

i have noithing aggainst PETA, but one of the owhter rights groups, Animal Liberation Front, IS IDENTIFIED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SUCURITY AS A DOMESTIC TERRORIST GROUP!, why you ask?

well, point simple, they firebombed alot of animal testing facilities.

i really think peta is to concerned, well, i am gonna quote an OLD 2 rant here

"so just becasue you can't hear the plants scream, that means you live a death free life?, they are living to until you pick them from the ground"

also, vegans are twigs, they have no muscle what-so-ever, and (now i may be completly prejiduce on this, but i am not intending to be) that vegans are ALWAYS short on breath?.

this is why i hate peta, but hey, keep it up, give us the lulz!, and even non-furs agree on that article, PETA is wasting their time on stupid crap like this, they will do ANYTHING to get in the spotlight, what next, one of them calls into HLN and goes on a 2 1/2 minute rant on how "the furries are bad, they kill animals" well, if they do i will just laugh,  i find it funny how groups like this will do anything to get noticed.

I'm vegetarian too and just fine without killing animals, thank you very much.

Offline Adrius

• Rule every moment. Seize every day.
  • Male
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 09:23:36 pm »
If I may interject, the "unfit" vegans are likely people who just cut animal products out without thinking of the nutritional ramifications of what they were doing. Just doing that leaves you deficient in a few key nutrients, and not exercising just compounds those factors.

Really, it's not so much the diet itself, but how you approach it. Keeping up on supplements if necessary and making sure you eat the right stuff as well as exercise are the key.

Don't know why I felt like mentioning this, but figured it could use being said.  :D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 12:18:49 am by Adrius »

"Like reflections on the page
The world's what you create."
-Dream Theater "Wither"

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 10:27:13 pm »
I heard earlier today that PETA is condemning Perz Obama for killing a fly on CNBC a few days ago. I bet they all have tapeworms because no one else in america will give the poor tapeworm a home.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Traumerei

• Male
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2009, 10:23:20 pm »
I heard earlier today that PETA is condemning Perz Obama for killing a fly on CNBC a few days ago. I bet they all have tapeworms because no one else in america will give the poor tapeworm a home.

I heard about that, and I find it hilarious. Meanwhile, they're mass murdering microscopic organisms by the billions each day. Not to get too much into it, but those flies are only built to last for a few days. Once they breed, their lives are over.

PETA isn't an organization that I take too seriously. They have a good cause, but their methods of working for it are questionable. I'm all for animals rights, but there's an obvious line between insignificant and true harm. And the fact that they couldn't do a little research into the fandom before persecuting us shows how blindly aggressive they can be.
-

Offline CiceroKit

• I'll get back to you on that
  • Female
    • My FA page
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 09:09:13 am »
I agree that I don't take PETA too seriously... they do not operate with the goal of stopping animal cruelty and protecting the planet so much as staying in business (why they are so "out there"). I guess they are a good example of the stewardship model in non-profits because while they may have some good positions on some things, yet they can be so extreme on things that no one really cares about (the president killing a fly). I had to spray a hornets nest that formed under my back door and my mom said, "If PETA found out, they would have a fit," to which I said, "F*** PETA!" (See epically bad day post under life problems for story)

Anyway, there are viable groups out there. I agree with Redneck Fur about the ASPCA... they are one of the best. Defenders of Wildlife is also a good one, and don't forget about local animal rescues and shelters... they are really the best because they are grassroots and the money is spent on addressing the problem at hand rather than just administration and fund raising.

What I don't think this particular forum should become is a place to bash vegetarians and vegans. For many people, these are the best diets for them. For example, people with fibromyalgia often feel much better on a vegan diet. And, as much as most of us don't want to admit this, we know that a vegan or a vegetarian diet puts less strain on our resources than a diet that includes meat (you can yield more soybeans off of an acre of land than you can beef).

I had been vegetarian for several years... I only made it for 4 months as a vegan, but that was back in the early '90s in a rural area, in a cold climate, so my options were pretty limited. I eat meat now, but opt for free-range and organic. People ask me why I went back to eating meat, and I don't often explain it, but I will mention it here. A few years back, I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis, which means there is a long list of foods to avoid. In addition, I have several food allergies. If you have read Michael Pollan's book The Omnivore's Dilemma, then you know that it is best if we, as omnivores, eat a large variety of food. For me, that was not possible without eating meat, but that is not the case for most people. The list of
"okay" fruits for someone with IC, for example, includes pears and blueberries... that is pretty much it. And then there is the "to avoid" list that contains most types of beans and nuts.

So, the point is, some diets are better for some people. I can personally say that the people I have known personally who are in the best shape (the fittest and healthiest) are vegetarian. I know many avid martial arts enthusiasts who wouldn't dare eat meat and they are quite capable of kicking yours or my a**. I also know many people who bulk up on meat protein and stay away from carbohydrates who can barely lift themselves off of the couch.

If you want to be healthy, remember everything in moderation.

Peace
Artist. Educator. Activist. Writer.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/cicerokit/
Cicero Kit on Second Life

Being a furry artist is a sideline; I am a public relations professional by trade as well as adjunct faculty at two technical colleges in Wisconsin. I also freelance as a graphic designer and journalist and have had an editorial comic series published. Anything you want to know? Ask.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2009, 11:30:10 am »
Let's please keep on topic about PETA. If somebody wants to discuss vegetarianism, then please make a seperate topic. Thanks. ;)

Offline Irina

• Female
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 02:46:49 pm »
PETA tends to get out of hand and go crazy with the whole, 'save the animals' deal..Not that I'm against helping animals, because I love the furry critters!

Anyways. Kage is the man. (:
meow (;

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 03:54:29 pm »
Thread locked because the last post was more than six months ago.