Poll

Pick yer poison.

Mac
9 (22%)
PC
32 (78%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Mac vs PC!  (Read 4093 times)

Offline Mooshi

Mac vs PC!
« on: August 26, 2010, 01:33:21 am »
Specs only tell one side of the story, as do looks. It all comes down to feel and which platform won you over. Which do you prefer as your computing system and why? :3 (re-worded to make the most sense. x3)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:10:20 am by Mooshi »

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
Re: Mac vs PC!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 01:50:56 am »
If you are not talking about the OS but only the hardware, are you aware that new Macs run on Intel processors? Therefore there's a lot more overlap than their used to be.

I have a Mac which I dual-boot with OS X and Win Xp. (XP I use mostly for gaming)

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:51:20 am »
So it's OSX vs everything else?
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 01:57:22 am »
How dare you insult me like that, Var. Of course I knew... :P Oh and no, this isn't OSX vs everything either. Macs can run other OS's as well and a PC can also run OSX (with fiddling). It's a straight forward question on which platform do you prefer over the other. o.o I mean some people might prefer a Mac because of their design or their batt life for notebooks for example. Not like I honestly care about why someone likes one thing or another to the point of going rabid fanboy on them. xD It's a simple poll and that's it.

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 02:18:08 am »
Without the software there's very little difference between Mac hardware and conventional hardware besides looks.
I'm not entirely sure I see the point of this thread.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 02:21:15 am »
How dare you insult me like that, Var. Of course I knew... :P

I figured you did. I wasn't trying to insult you. It's more that, I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 02:29:15 am »
Xbox and PS3 comes to mind. Even if titles are cross platform, they each have their quirks. Okay Okay. We can Pretend the PC Is Windows equipped and go down that route if it helps! :D I still think hardware alone has relevence. Look at how beautiful an iMac is. Nothing in the PC world matches it's looks and style. Would I get one? Nah. I don't like all in one computers since if one part goes out that is vital, you're screwed (especially an lcd failure). People who buy Mac tend to like plugging something in and using it while the PC crowd seems more the type to tinker things. Edit: re-read the original post. Made things easier on ya. ;) The only reason I chose hardware only at first is because you always have that one Linux guy or whatever complaining! Dx
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:37:32 am by Mooshi »

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 02:40:36 am »
I'm going to assume this is purely about looks.

Look at how beautiful an iMac is. Nothing in the PC world matches it's looks and style.

And I'm going to have to deny this for myself. I've seen far more elegant looking PC's. Macs have the minimalist look and not much else going for them.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is apt for this thread.
ಠ_ಠ

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 02:50:07 am »
Imma get Syi to stab you with butter! x3 Do you like Mac or PC, Mr. Fox? (nuh, not about /just/ looks. The total package. o.o A car can look butt ugly, but handle well and likewise a car can be stunning and handle like a pig. It all has to do with personal feel for the machine your dealing with. Specs alone only tell you so much.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:52:48 am by Mooshi »

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 02:57:15 am »
Indifferent =P

As a note your initial question did not reflect what your asking now. Hence all the confusion x3

Now it seems it's a question of which do you like you using more.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:59:24 am by Weisseman »
ಠ_ಠ

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 02:59:34 am »
That wasn't so bad now was it? ;D

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 03:27:15 am »
Apple user bred and raised. I started with an Apple II C so I've been using apples for closing in on 28 years. Remember the old add for the Original Mac 'Why 1984 won't be like 1984."
Spit and bailing wire hold my mind together.
Translation: I need a hug

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 03:30:36 am »
I love the post above. Honest and genuine answer. :3

Offline killrhawk

• A furry with feathers
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 04:10:06 am »
While I really like the Mac's looks, I've been using  PC's for a long time now, and I guess they've grown on me :)
Have PSN? Add me!
    Killrhawk

Thanks so much to Aerisyka for the avatar!

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 07:41:57 am »
Started out mainly on PC's and sticking with them. At first it was because I never had a reason to go otherwise and learn new systems. Even the false sense of security people have of thinking you don't need anti-malware installed on a Mac didn't sway me. Then I started getting into my visualization work and the two programs I use are only available for Windows since they're small time developers. Any time I looked in to going anything but PC's/Windows, I realized I'd still have to mod them to do what I want and like. Taking a cue from the car example: Why buy a Mustang and rebuild it into a virtual Corvette inside and out to fit your desire when you could just buy the Vette for roughly the same price? If a Mac suits you more, have at it, but it's not for me. Especially with the lack of upgrades and such. Mooshi may be on to something about the PC users being more inclined to want to tinker with their systems. *Is currently waiting on a part to attempt a self repair to his laptop as I type*

I know this may sound kinda out there, but I run in to way too much elitist mentality from non-PC users (i.e. Mac, Linux, and going so far as including Firefox and other non-Internet Explorer users) that think the answer to every PC question is to use a Mac, Linux, etc, and it just drives me away from them even more.  :goldpissed:

Picture relevant: http://www.jaynaylor.com/originallife/comic/OL128.10-08-20.jpg :P
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 09:13:22 am »
PCs.
Macintosh hardware is horribly overpriced, and I agree with wiessman's assessment of the aesthetics.

Macintosh OS's are also horribly locked down & idiotproofed. Well, really, their software in general just is - I find it impossible to do even relatively simple tasks, that while yes, might not occur to the most computer illiterate out there, but for me are nothing more than basic addition, metaphorically speaking. How do you add single files to an iPod touch? Guess what. you have to sync the whole directory structure, and it doesn't even give you any advanced options or /anything!/ (and if so, they are /really/ buried, and that's terribly inconvenient for me). I can't even believe that mac software can do anything other than 'push button, 1 function happens' (and there is only one button) D:. Talk about lazy programming. I mean, at least windows lets you turn off all the precautions & get right to fiddling with it after perhaps minutes of preparation. And there are lots of options beyond its built-in programs. Linux distros tend to be even better in that regard, though they also lack native software support for quite a bit, which I find rather dissapointing. At least its getting developed, bit by bit.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Valexi

• Hylian Hyena
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 03:43:23 pm »
Avan, if you want to add a single file to an iPod, just go to iTunes > Preferences > Devices > then check the "Disable automatic syncing for iPhones and iPods" box.
After that, it won't automatically sync your device, and you can just add whatever songs you select by dragging and dropping them from your music library to the iPod library.

Anyway, I haven't found any evidence that a Mac is any more locked down than any other system, and I own both a Mac and a Dell with both OSX and Windows. A Mac might require different methods for changing things, but I haven't had any problems with it.
Overall, there's only been 3 programs that I needed that OSX couldn't run, and even then I have Boot-Camp, so my machine can still run them anyway.
I can change the computers theme and add multiple docks and even get Rainmeter-like visuals on OSX.
I don't really think the Mac or OSX is as bad as people like to make it out to be, it's just different and takes a little getting used to; some things are in different places and some things take different methods to do, and because of that people develop the misconception that the system is incapable rather than different.
But, hey, just get whatever computer makes you happier or is easier for you to use.
It's all your choice and preference, after all.
However, it is completely wrong and ignorant to judge people based on what computer they decide to buy. But, that's a different argument altogether.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:52:40 pm by Valexi »

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 04:09:51 pm »
Yep, it's all preferences. For basic internet use it really doesn't matter. When it comes to specialized jobs, that's a whole other matter. To me the beauty of a PC vs Mac hardware is that you don't need to blow tons of cash for a small performance boost. (OEM PC builders do the same, but follow along) CPU chips go up hundreds of dollars per slight clock increases. With a PC you can get the cheaper part and overclock it to be faster than the $1,000+ CPU's base speed. A $250 (give or take) part running faster than one bought for a grand (at stock speed) is just awesome. ;D With a Mac, you don't get the same privlage. You either deal with mobile chips or get an expensive Mac Pro. :/

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 04:30:40 pm »
I use both Macs and PCs on a daily basis, and I own an iPhone as well. I like both but personally I don't plan on owning a Mac system of my own since the software I like on it I own on my PC (CS4). I much prefer Windows 7 right now, and I like the shortcuts and stuff more on the PC version of CS4 software.

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 04:35:30 pm »
How do you add single files to an iPod touch? Guess what. you have to sync the whole directory structure, and it doesn't even give you any advanced options or /anything!/ (and if so, they are /really/ buried, and that's terribly inconvenient for me).

You drag and drop it on to the disk.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 06:31:58 pm »
PC vs. Mac
PC vs. Mac
PC vs. Mac

No offense, but I don't see the need to debate/discuss something that's been done thousands of times before on hundreds or thousands of forums and websites on the Net. Does it really matter which one is better? To me, it doesn't. I really don't care that much about blazing fast speeds, high graphics, high tech hardware, etc., etc. As long as I have a decent machine that I can use for the most basic of things like browsing the Net, watching vids, etc., then that's all I care about. I never really got into the "PC vs. Mac" war/debate. Seems kinda silly and pointless to me.

Offline Cimarron

• A Little Inappropriate
  • Male
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 09:19:33 pm »
I kind of feel the same as Kobuk.  Im sure he knows more than me about computers, but I really dont know the difference.  The only thing I care about is when I click the Internet icon, Im connected to yall.  I remember when there was a thread about what brand of computer we all have.  I honestly had to close my laptop to read the top part to find out, because I really dont care.  It works for what I need it for.  Its a Compaq, by the way... I dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing, but I cant complain, because it was free. 
Dont fursecute me yo!

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 09:47:38 pm »
It's one of those things, I guess. You don't take someone who isn't interested in cars to a Sema show or give a non-gamer tickets to E3. For some people, all they need is an internet connection and not much else. For them, even a stripped down netbook running Linux is more than enough. Others actually use their computer to its limit. Either through work (such as rendering) or play (such as gaming) There is no "debate" here. If anything, it's no more than a census on who is running what just for fun. Dun deny our geeky fun. >.>
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:50:21 pm by Mooshi »

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 10:54:17 pm »
As I said I was bred to use an Apple so I'm just used to the system plus the programs I use such as Photo Shop and Illustrator were originally designed to be used on a Mac.
Spit and bailing wire hold my mind together.
Translation: I need a hug

Offline Sheeta

• Species: Kittygirl!
  • By the power of Grayskull
  • Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 10:59:23 pm »
I know this may sound kinda out there, but I run in to way too much elitist mentality from non-PC users
Funny, I've encountered the exact same thing except it was always PC users hassling me.  I've had people go into raving rants about how much they despise Apple and anything associated with it when I've said nothing other than "I use a Mac."  I'm not a braggart by any means, so I'd have a huge question mark over my head as to what I said that triggered such hate.  On the same note, I've personally known folks who were the stereotypical MacDouche' (pronounced doo-SHAY for that fancy twist) that'd sit in coffee houses with their laptops just so people could see what they were doing on their fancy computer.

True story--once when asked what I used to do my digital art on, I was snickered at and looked down on for using a Mac.  When I asked the person what they used for their digital art, they gave me the exact specs of everything they had.  When I asked to see their work, they immediately backed down and made all sorts of excuses as to why I couldn't see any of it.  Later on when I did see the work, it was bad.  I didn't make fun of the person or put them down in any way, but instead told them that you can have all of the best equipment in the world, but it's pretty much a pile of pointless crap if you don't know how to use it.  The person immediately shut their mouth afterwards.

As for me, I've been using Apple since the Apple II GS.  I grew up with it, and is what I'm most comfortable with.  Honestly, it all comes down to what you prefer.  I like the setup, I like the ease, and yes, I can upgrade my tower if needed. Besides, it's nice knowing that I'm using the same setup as the Pixar people.   :D ;)

I never really got into the "PC vs. Mac" war/debate. Seems kinda silly and pointless to me.
AMEN.

To sum it up--
I like all types of music.
I don't like mushrooms.
I prefer warm days.
I like Mac computers.
Ta-daaaaah!
It's Steely Dan, not Steely Dan't

"People are into it for all sorts of reasons, but I think most people here just think animal people are neat to draw." --"Sue"

Stop by!  www.furaffinity.net/user/nubiankitten7
             www.nubiankitten.deviantart.com/