Author Topic: You're Online Identity  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Mylo

You're Online Identity
« on: August 25, 2011, 12:38:46 am »
How important is your online identity (you aren't anonymous, but you don't use your real name)? 

Do you have more than one alias you go by online, or is your identity unique and consistent?
Are aliases disposable?  Do you speak the same way you would if you spoke in real life?  What I'm trying to say is, do you care about the reputation of your online alias just as much as your own name IRL?  Or, just...meh, why does it matter?  :o

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: You're Online Identity
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 12:46:12 am »
I tend to go by Loc on most places now, although I have a couple of others that I used a few years ago that are "out of service" now (Dragonshadow and Lady Locutus). I "talk" on them the same way that I would in real life - although I can be a bit blunter and more direct, I won't go around being rude and offensive, because that just isn't the way I am. I don't use my real name unless I have to, and then i have a pretty common first name and I have met people with the same surname before.

I care about the reputation I build on forums almost as much as I care for my reputation in real life, because my online personality is the same as my real one. If someone insults me online though, I tend to get less upset about it as generally the person doing the insulting is a faceless Interwebz person that I will never meet, as opposed to someone I can see and hear.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Gearbox

• Species: Fennec-coyote hybrid
  • Ghost Foxote
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:53:21 am »
How important is your online identity (you aren't anonymous, but you don't use your real name)?
Relatively important since it's still me, after all.
Do you have more than one alias you go by online, or is your identity unique and consistent?
I act pretty much the same everywhere I am, but I do have a couple different usernames.
Are aliases disposable?
Not really, when I join a place or make a username I don't intend on it being something I can just throw away if need be.
Do you speak the same way you would if you spoke in real life?
Like most people, I'm somewhat more outgoing on the internet than I am in real life, but for the most part I talk and act the same way online and in person.
What I'm trying to say is, do you care about the reputation of your online alias just as much as your own name IRL?
Well, I obviously don't care about my online personas and whatnot as much as my own actual IRL reputation, but I do care about it; I try not to do anything rash or stupid.

Offline Arc

• Say g'bye to yer kneecaps, chucklenuts!
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 02:18:49 am »
My online and RL identities are pretty intertwined. The vast majority of my RL friends are furries so I'm known as Arc the border collie in most of my real life as well. Furry is also a really big thing to me online, so needless to say it's pretty important.

I do have another alias I use for entirely non-furry things, but honestly that one's pretty rare. Arc Collie is generally used everywhere.

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 05:56:48 am »

My online "persona" is pretty intertwined to real life, at this point. I tend to maintain it, regardless of whether anyone knows my real name or person in the real world. I am also prone to drop persona and use my real name anyway.
Anonymity is good, but I am too scatterbrained and forward to keep it up long, I think.

I have, essentially, two aliases - of which the primary is Fenny T Fox (or some variant thereof). By that I mean to say that I have two names I use, but overall the two names are one and the same identity anyway. Like I said before, I am too quick to leave anonymity behind a little and am pretty much always mostly the same.

(The secondary name is pretty well relegated to one site, at this point. But I have used it for a long long time there, so I would feel odd suddenly changing it on people.)

Are aliases disposable?

I suppose they could be, but I find that people get get attached to them. If you go by one name for a long time, it tends to stick even if you try to use another.

Do you speak the same way you would if you spoke in real life?

Yeah, I guess. I pretty well say the same things the same way under my alias as under my own name. Espouse the same ideals, state pretty well the same opinions, use the same thought processes. I am too set in my ways to do something different. (:

What I'm trying to say is, do you care about the reputation of your online alias just as much as your own name IRL?  Or, just...meh, why does it matter?

I like a good reputation regardless of what name you use for me. "What's in a name?" :)
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline Ragnorrock_13

• Spread the love
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 09:22:30 am »
I have... 6 different aliases online. This being one of them.

I do not like to pretend to be other people, but my reaction to others can vary. Such as, when I am fighting I shout commands for men to do the intelligent thing and roar out in triumph when we are smiting the enemy. When I am a warhammer 40k forum I try to have the most understanding on he subject, and when I am at furtopia I just follow the crowed (except with MLP. Hate those things x_x) Over all my reputation varies. On MW2 I am a noob. On Halo, I play the support roll. On SC2 I play the guy who follows orders and then causes a wave of humans to overcome the bugs. On Bad Company 2 I am the one guys who actually knows what he is doing every moment of combat. Here... I speak freely and I try to show a decent amount of respect. I might say some stupid things, but in the end I try to say the truths of my life.
Next time, I'll collect the money, and you can die!
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 10:45:45 am »
*Thinks Mylo is in the Furry Bureau of Investigation* ;)

Anyways, I’m not much different online than in real life, though I do keep the two separate.
I honestly feel that there’s no need to ever publicly post real life info, unless you are running for public office.

Basically, all personal info should be on a need to know basis, and even then, it comes down to who is it that really needs to know. :P
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:49:33 am by Storm Fox »
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Wereaibo

• Species: Nightmarish animatronic animal
  • Straight from the Uncanny Valley
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 11:01:48 am »
I'm RoboDog everywhere. I don't like using different names for different forums. There's very little difference in how I behave online and how I behave in real life.
You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 12:07:29 pm »
I use my middle name IRL because it's generic. My first name is one of those things where parents decided to get inventive without considering it might not sound so novel after two decades, or cool when you have to spell it out for people every time you use it. I guess I could change it but it would be a lot of bother right now.

Online I've gone through a few different names. Sometimes it's made to suit the place I am, sometimes (here for example) it's just some random thing. I act differently in different social situations, but it's not to do with names, I used to notice I'd do the same thing in real life before I even had online aliases.
-I still can't think of anything.

Offline R.A.Blackpaws

• Species: Fox, primarily. Bits of wolf, lioness and red panda in the brain too.
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 12:45:52 pm »
I tend not to vary my online ID too much. I do still use an older AIM SN from when I was primarily a wolf, and my XBox Live ID is indicative of the whole package.

Other than that, it's RA all the way. Just with varying intensities. ^.^
"Be true to what you are.  Never hide your true self from anyone.  The moment you do, you stop living and start...existing.  From experience, life loses a lot when you simply...exist"

Archon Snowfur (my wolf side), from the story "Graduation Day, 2190".

"Have an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out."

Offline Lynk

• Male
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 05:02:26 pm »
I have two main online aliases, one for this site, and one for everything else. And yes, I do somewhat care about my reputation, hence the two aliases. :P

Offline Arashi_Calunata

• Species: Solus Cat
  • That's what happens? Fascinating!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 05:18:54 pm »
I go by different names on every forum I've been on, but I treat every one with the same attitude.
Artist by trade, Soldier by choice.

475 consecutive last stands. Funny how that happens, huh?

A 'Solus Cat' is my evolution on my older species, the Hreldren. But better.