Author Topic: Firearms and General Militaria  (Read 5460 times)

Offline Metalhead_Mockingbird

• Starting another intergalactic cold war.
  • Male
Firearms and General Militaria
« on: September 21, 2011, 08:35:03 pm »

More or less the thread for discussing everything military or firearms as the title states.

Also, to start off the conversation, what's everyones' opinions on the taticool'd kind of firearms? IE: Tapco'd SKS, or the famed Mosin Nagant SBR with a polymer stock, reddot, and M4 LE stock.
"Noone can ever rid me of my arsenal of Megadeth, no matter what the peace treaties come to!"

Furaffinity
Steam
'360 GT

Avatar done by AlisaLeolfAlexandra.

Offline Arashi_Calunata

• Species: Solus Cat
  • That's what happens? Fascinating!
Re: Firearms and General Militaria
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:44:33 pm »
I disregard my own post here. Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 06:45:15 pm by Arashi »
Artist by trade, Soldier by choice.

475 consecutive last stands. Funny how that happens, huh?

A 'Solus Cat' is my evolution on my older species, the Hreldren. But better.

Offline Mr. Apple

• Male
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:22:10 pm »
I'm saving up for a Glock 17 that I've been lusting over for years. Just something about the blocky 80's look (at least to me) rubs my happy spot just right :3
That, and i'm also a huge fan of luger fire arms. They're built like tanks!

rifle wise, i like the M4\AR-15 models. they're a little generic, but still look cool as hell. Especially the modded versions.
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."

DA: http://x13killer.deviantart.com/
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/x13killer/

• Male
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:40:04 pm »
I'm saving up for a Glock 17 that I've been lusting over for years. Just something about the blocky 80's look (at least to me) rubs my happy spot just right :3
I- I mean, my father owned one for a while, and was my first handgun. It also the one that gave me my flinch that I have, and those were normal factory loads, no Self Defence +P/+P+ loads. It was nice, but you can't shoot lead out of it. Due to the Hexogonal rifling that will throw a round out sideways(I kid you not), and its a bit fussy with reloads. We learned that with the Glock 26 he owned for a short while. Also, get a Gen 4 Glock, on that one, you don't really have the ergonomics of a brick- literally. Plus, you have the dual spring, which reportedly mitigated some of the recoil. Its come cool beans, yo.

luger fire arms.
Yeah, they're pre- JAMJAMJAMJAMJAMJAM.
Well, the Luger handgun was a jam machine, almost as much as the famed M1915 Chauchat, which I'll explain if some want me to. But the catch was the angle of the grip on the handgun was at such an angle, that it was 1, REALLY comfortable, and 2, REALLY accurate. Other than the Jam problem, the Luger was a fantastic handgun.  8)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:45:40 pm by Metalhead_Mockingbird »
"Noone can ever rid me of my arsenal of Megadeth, no matter what the peace treaties come to!"

Furaffinity
Steam
'360 GT

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 11:30:10 pm »
I've used guns, but never owned them. I tend to live in pretty restrictive places, where to own guns you either need a lot of land or to be a member of a club. And even then they have no functional use - if someone tried to murder me and I shot his brains out the backside of his head I'd likely be arrested.

Having said that, if the chance ever arose, I'd be interested in some older historic ones mostly. A mosin-nagant rifle would be nice, and one of those nagant m1895 revolvers. Modern ones... meh. I have no use for assault rifles or anything like that, and I'm not mad about the style so I wouldn't really get into those if I could. Bolt actions are fun to shoot just for the reloading, though...
-I still can't think of anything.

Offline Avor

• Male
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 04:20:37 am »
1945 Mtk4 Lee Enflield sniper, ir's in perfect in every way.

Offline Ragnorrock_13

• Spread the love
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 09:56:30 am »
If I were in charge of the military, most heavy weapons would be legal for militia. It is not that I am pro-arming the masses with weapons made for killing all in its path. Its just the military would always have a better gun. I would upgrade the XM-25 to be pump action and hold a 10 shot clip. I would replace the say with something lighter, but made for light armor penetration... It should also be using a clip of some kind, not a box. With the H.U.L.C.K. I would start placing armor plating on that thing and start mounting Heavy Machine guns on those guys. and ect...

If I could have a house hold protection weapon, it would be the AA-12. It is an automatic shotgun (win win) and it is more of a defensive/close quarters weapon compared to rifles, uzis, and other assault weapons.
Next time, I'll collect the money, and you can die!
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Offline Gearbox

• Species: Fennec-coyote hybrid
  • Ghost Foxote
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 10:03:45 am »
Also, to start off the conversation, what's everyones' opinions on the taticool'd kind of firearms? IE: Tapco'd SKS, or the famed Mosin Nagant SBR with a polymer stock, reddot, and M4 LE stock.
My opinion, in a non-nutshell, via the wise words of Ivan. (lot of swearing)

But in all seriousness, I don't really like accessories mounted on guns if they go beyond a grip/sight/etc. Though that might be due to the fact that I've seen more M-series guns nearly buried in mounted stuff than I can remember.

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 02:42:59 pm »
If I could have a house hold protection weapon, it would be the AA-12. It is an automatic shotgun (win win) and it is more of a defensive/close quarters weapon compared to rifles, uzis, and other assault weapons.

Supposing I ever live in a place it matters, I think a Saiga (similar thing - basically an AK turned shotgun) and a pistol would be good. Apparently the Saiga is popular in Russia because their gun laws allow you to own a shotgun for self defence for X amount of years, and if you don't break any laws you can upgrade to something else. However, they don't distinguish things like a TOZ-34 from the Saiga, so naturally people gravitate toward the one capable of semi automatic fire (I believe they can also be made automatic but that may not be legal).

Offline Sk Skunk

• TANSTAAFL
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 05:54:04 pm »
I have an SKS  :)

It had no bearing on me picking my furry name. :D
"Who am I to say where my possibly non-existent soul has or has not been."

• Male
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 09:49:22 pm »
My opinion, in a non-nutshell, via the wise words of Ivan. (lot of swearing)

But in all seriousness, I don't really like accessories mounted on guns if they go beyond a grip/sight/etc. Though that might be due to the fact that I've seen more M-series guns nearly buried in mounted stuff than I can remember.
Ah, yes. Ivan. Making threads so much better with three parts Vodka and one part Cosmoline.
Same here. I mean, I'll go for a foregrip, or an EOTech/Aimpoint sight or ACOG(TA-31), and thats' it. I've seen guys on the range with a flashlight, DD Rail system, Grip-Pods, Flashlight, fake AN/PEQ-2 Box, and and an EOTech. It looks cool, but they'res no purpose but other than making you look like an butt.

I would upgrade the XM-25 to be pump action and hold a 10 shot clip.
That's more or less a downgrade to the XM-25. The fact that its' Semi-automatic mitigates most of the recoil associated with the 25mm round. Plus, I don't see how a clip would be an upgrade. I think people would much prefer magazines.

If I were in charge of the military, most heavy weapons would be legal for militia.
I am more thank okay with this. Cheap M2HB here I come!

Problem with that. The AA-12 is still a prototype, and there are better shotguns that will feed most types of ammunition, like a Benelli M4 Super 90, or a Mossberg M590A1 if you want a pump. Most people don't use AR's or sub-guns for home defense. Why? Over-penetration. I don't want my 5.56x45mm rounds going through the perp and going through the wall into the neighbor's yard. Also, loluzi.

Furaffinity
Steam
'360 GT

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 07:48:01 am »
I'm not much of a gun buff, but I do like making things go "Bang!"  8)  Actually, today I'm taking a concealed carry class with my dad and my brother.  I have yet to make a final decision on a carry weapon, but I'm leaning toward an LC9.  Once I have my primary taken care of, I'll be looking for something fun to take out to the range.  Maybe a 357 like my dad's S&W.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

• Male
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 11:21:58 am »
I'm not much of a gun buff, but I do like making things go "Bang!"  8)  Actually, today I'm taking a concealed carry class with my dad and my brother.  I have yet to make a final decision on a carry weapon, but I'm leaning toward an LC9.  Once I have my primary taken care of, I'll be looking for something fun to take out to the range.  Maybe a 357 like my dad's S&W.
LC9, eh? Its a pretty nice gun, but the smaller sub-sub compact 9mm's like that have quite a bite.
And one can never go wrong with a Smith and Wesson revolver. Heck, you can't go wrong with anything S&W. M&P Series(Great weapons, never really heard anything bad about them, and the US Army is having a competition where they might be selecting it to replace the M9A1 Handgun. I think its in .45 ACP, too.), their 1911's are awesome, too. Don't get their Sigmas if you ever are looking at them. I've heard lots of bad things about them.

Furaffinity
Steam
'360 GT

Offline Tommy Fox Stone

• Commander Of Skull Squadron...RDF...
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 07:20:54 pm »
I have an SKS  :)

The first gun I bought was an SKS, great gun, and this year I got my self an AKM-47 and a PSL, I hope too get an AK-74 next year...
Captain T F Stone
 U.S.S. DEFIANT NX-74205
One Photon Torpedo Can Ruin Your Whole Day THINK ABOUT IT

Another winters day Another grey reminder of what used too be that has gone away Its really hard too say how long we have too live with our insanity we have too pay for all we use and we never think before we light the fuse...

Member of the Millennium Club...

C.S.A.

GOD BLESS TRUMP!...

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 02:48:56 am »
^just to be pedantic: it's either AKM (M being an abbreviation for the Russian word for "Modernized") or AK-47.

Offline Mr. Apple

• Male
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 12:09:46 pm »
Lol this just came to mind. Is anyone else the type of person that will throw a fit when the word magazine is replaced with clip?
There have been times when I'd just go off on a person because they said clip instead of magazine. :D The magazine in the part that holds the rounds in the gun, and the clip is the piece of metal used to load the magazine in some guns. For example, the M1 had an internal magazine that you couldn't slide out. Because of that, you'd have to load the rounds in through the top. This could be a very slow process, so there was a clip, which actually looked like a clip, that held the bullets so you could load all of em at once.

Srry to people that don't care. Just a little pet peeve of mine  :P
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 03:06:17 pm »
I might mention it if I was bored. Incidentally, can you load the M1 without the clip? Never used one but I seem to recall with them the clip actually stays in there and gets spat out once you fire the last shot or something, so I've never been entirely certain if you could use it properly without one.

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 04:09:22 pm »
I'm a military veteran. They have their uses and are good tools to me. Not much else. Though I do have a couple shot guns that have sentimental meaning to them (one a gift when I was little from my Great Uncle, and the other left to me in a will from my Grandfather). I don't care about the technical specs of a gun - as long as it works as intended then fine.

• Male
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 04:45:36 pm »
Lol this just came to mind. Is anyone else the type of person that will throw a fit when the word magazine is replaced with clip?
I more or less fit in this category.

Furaffinity
Steam
'360 GT

Offline Gearbox

• Species: Fennec-coyote hybrid
  • Ghost Foxote
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 04:51:37 pm »
I more or less fit in this category.
This. I won't flip out at the person, but it will irk me and I'll likely make it known.

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 06:32:28 pm »
Another Vet. here. I too am of the opinion that guns are just tools. Like any tool, knowing how to use it matters most. What's the point of a vertical mill if you only know how to use a hacksaw?

Sure, technical specs. like caliber, bullet grain and type, and action style can make a difference in the capabilities of the weapon, but what matters more is how well you know how to use it. For instance, I know how to use iron sights, and use them very well. I was never trained on optical sights, however, so I won't touch 'em.

There is a whole lot more to combat than what your weapon can do.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mr. Apple

• Male
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 08:50:46 pm »
Another Vet. here. I too am of the opinion that guns are just tools. Like any tool, knowing how to use it matters most. What's the point of a vertical mill if you only know how to use a hacksaw?

Because tools are cool beans X3
But in all seriousness, you do make a valid point.

• Male
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 11:10:35 pm »
I might mention it if I was bored. Incidentally, can you load the M1 without the clip? Never used one but I seem to recall with them the clip actually stays in there and gets spat out once you fire the last shot or something, so I've never been entirely certain if you could use it properly without one.
You could possibly use it, but it would be extremely hard to mash a 30-06 round into the chamber.

Furaffinity
Steam
'360 GT

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 11:43:51 am »
There's a thing known as "M1 thumb"...
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline RedneckFur

• I'm in ur barn, eatin' ur hay!
  • Male
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/redneckfur/
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 11:34:01 pm »
Got lots of guns, and love them all.

Not a fan of tacticool junk either.  I dont understand the point in getting a nice, reliable, accureate AR-15 carbine and then hanging so much cheap plastic junk on it that it weighs as much as a garand.

Pets name: Nugget
Adopt your own!