Author Topic: Does Neko count as Furry?  (Read 16169 times)

Offline PsychotixxFoxx

• ♪✖‿✖♪
  • Female
Does Neko count as Furry?
« on: April 26, 2012, 02:39:20 pm »
I like to call myself a werefox because it gives me some options. While I love full anthro, I also prefer neko form as well (ears and tail with human body.) Does that count as a furry still? There's my fursona, Aurora, who can shift to different forms, and then there's just me. After all, I don't think I'll ever really have a fursuit, I'd be perfectly happy with just ears and tail and still being myself.

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: Does Neko count as Furry?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 04:01:27 pm »
As far as I'm concerned, if you want to call it an aspect of furry, that's fine. You don't have to go full fursuit to be in to the fandom (I probably never will), and I don't see why people get so fussy about excluding neko. It is still combining animal and human characteristics.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline typingwithpaws

• Species: fox
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 05:10:37 pm »
true that loc,
there's no real set rules about it. if you think you are a furry then so be it  :D
"Nothing will ever surpass the beauty and elegance of a bad idea"

Offline PsychotixxFoxx

• ♪✖‿✖♪
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 05:16:08 pm »
Thanks guys! I'm just aware that a lot of furries set nekos aside, kinda as wannabe's. Glad to know that, as always, furtopians accept every type of furry!

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 07:08:51 pm »
This is just my opinion, but.......I see the furry fandom as being an offshoot of the sci-fi and anime genres. I don't see why Neko's couldn't be described as "furry"? To say that they aren't would be to kinda reject a part of the furry fandom's origins, Know what I mean?

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 08:59:25 pm »
I see a wide latitude in fury fandom from Neko and human transformation (werewolves)  to feral animals  with human intelligence (Think Waterhsip down).

As for Neko I wonder a lot of problem are Nekos, like Bronies would never consider to call themselves furry as much their mannerism is furry like.

Offline Wanderer

• Keep your eyes on the horizon
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:05:19 pm »
I think it all depends on your outlook. If you think it's furry then it is. I consider nekos to be furry because they have animal characteristics.
"Journey for you may never know where the road takes you."-Wanderer

"Tis not the destination that matters, but tis the journey that makes us"- Wanderer

"Destined to travel the roads of time, the Wanderer walks the path with prejudice, ready for the masters of death that lie before him."- Jet

Offline Saiyu

• Species: SkunKitty
  • OMG there's text here!
  • Female
    • Saiyu's commissions
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:49:59 pm »
Yeah really, "Furry" does basically stand for Human-Animal looks and all that jazz =p! So of course I, myself also think of Neko as a Furry. It just all depends on -how- Furry though is probably it. Because Furry could possibly be broken down into a LOT of parts xD ya know what I mean?

Would you like to stalk my DeviantArt
Or YouTube xD?

Offline typingwithpaws

• Species: fox
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 08:32:28 am »
ive had time to think on this subject more....my answer does not change however  ;)

when i see Neko i automaticly think 'Anime' for some reason. but there is a reason for that.  ;)

just my 2c
"Nothing will ever surpass the beauty and elegance of a bad idea"

Offline PsychotixxFoxx

• ♪✖‿✖♪
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 02:05:01 pm »
Understandable - that's where I kinda came up with the question, because anime kinda dominates the neko idea. But I see myself as a neko to some degree, altho I like to call it were. Anime's never been my thing, can't get into the googly eyes and kimonos XD

Offline Starla

• Female
Is Neko part of the Furry fandom?
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 11:48:23 am »
I was just wondering what the general opinion is here of Neko and if it is considered part of the Furry community?
My charrie on SL has always been Neko and wouldn't have it any other way yet if I attended a Furry convention I would want to be fully suited and booted in a fursuit as Neko would feel a little 'halfway house'!
What do you guys think?
Huggles!

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: Is Neko part of the Furry fandom?
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 12:24:25 pm »
As far as I'm concerned, it is a mix of human and animal characteristics, so yes, it is a part of the fandom.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Ambroise

• Male
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 12:44:50 pm »
I've actually had people yell at me, at cons for "confusing" a Neko with a furry.....

So I guess it actually depends on the neko.
De'La Rot

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 01:10:58 pm »
[. . .]yet if I attended a Furry convention I would want to be fully suited and booted in a fursuit as Neko would feel a little 'halfway house'!

It's worth mentioning that the majority of those who attend cons *don't* have full fursuits, or even partial fursuits, for that matter.  The majority either wear no furry costume attire, just tails, or some other limited combination of furry costume attire (ears, ears+tail, footpaws, etc.).  From my limited understanding of Neko, it wouldn't be out of place at all.
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 06:17:20 pm »
@Starla:  I merged your topic (Starting with post # 10) with another slightly older topic (Posts 1-9) as both threads are discussing the same subject matter.

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 01:07:02 pm »
I don't count in IMO.
Furthermore, I would only ever use a fullsuit (And... that is all I make really), pretty much nothing short of that though partials are better than none, and definitely not just ears/tail. Human skin & face just don't cut it.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Aerisyka

• Female
    • http://aerisyka.deviantart.com
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 09:14:53 pm »
Technically, furry's pretty flexible, like everyone here has said. I don't personally count neko as furry, because to me it's always come off as its own specific style and really seems to have little to nothing to do with anthropomorphic animals and more to do with general anime. I mean, if you want to call your neko character furry I'm not going to judge, I'm not the po-lice on what is and is not a fursona. (: It's just not a conclusion I would ever draw myself. Furry is what you make of it.

I definitely agree that there's a difference between neko characters and a self-identified furry person who wears ears and a tail out or to a convention. It's pretty common, easier and more acceptable in more places than a full costume, and like redyoshi mentioned a lot of people can't afford or can't wear an actual fursuit. Getting into IMO territory, I actually prefer (well-proportioned!) partials over full suits a lot of the time, if only because my preferred style of furry is an animal person who wears clothes. A well done partial can make your character seem more "realistic".
We have a fascination with the darkness, although we're standing in light.
We have the strongest sense of kindness, but we still can't treat our own selves right.

<:3=*)~

Icon by 22mg!

Offline TheComet

• There's always room for more foxes.
  • Male
    • My FA page!
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 03:53:23 pm »
The way I've always seen it, furry is animals with human characteristics where neko is human with animal characteristics, so as I see it nekos are not furries, but as a furry you can have a neko as your fursona and still be a fur

Offline Mylo

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 05:48:37 pm »
I agree with Avan in that a human face and skin just don't cut it for me. And yes, a neko is a human with animalistic features (notable ears and tail). But considering the fact that the term furry is so broad in scope, I guess technically you can consider neko furry, although when I think neko, I think anime rather than furry.

Offline Starla

• Female
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 07:53:32 am »
Riiiight, I totally see what you mean, Neko being human with animal characteristics and Furry being animal with human characteristics... Also Neko being rather anime orientated. I guess I spend way too much time on Second Life - my avatar being Neko has somewhat clouded my judgement! I should prolly spend more time with my Furry charrie! She's a cheeky tiger and suppose I had popped her on a back burner as she didn't seem to fit anywhere. Guess it's her time to shine!
Thank you all for the insight!
Huggles xx

Offline Thornbrier

• World Builder
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 11:04:33 pm »
Neko, Furry, and Anime, are all rather loosely used terms with a lot of overlap. I remember when Neko only meant the anime girls with cat ears and maybe a tail and claws/paws. From what I am hearing around now any human with animalish ears is now a Neko. Anime has also grown to include so many things and not all of it conforms to all of the things that it once meant.

Basically, its like most of language, we keep trying to set rigid rules to judge things by and set them in specific categories, but the real world doesn't work out that neatly.

To me, if I see a Neko I don't assume they are 'intended' to be part of the furry fandom, but I'm not at all surprised if they claim to be part of it. In that sense I can understand "mistaking a Neko for a furry" in that the neko in question might not claim to be a furry, but rejecting a Neko from the community... NEVER!

But of course, I'm one of those weird cats who thinks Naruto is a therian (talk about having a fox soul).

Offline Liyoht

• Male
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 02:51:56 am »
If I may poke my nose in....reading the first post I was reminded very much of "Spice and Wolf" I think if perhaps you simply dropped the word neko and simply called yourself a fur no one would mind. As shapeshifting is rather common among the fandom and you do have a full animal form...

I myself get confused such places as second life as I have met many a neko who is horrified at the very idea of being thought a furry.

Offline werecat2012

• Male
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 10:08:48 pm »
I think I remember replying to a similar topic to this one... oh well, I'll reply to this one too. It's been over a month since the last post. But maybe if this topic is bumped back to the top of the page, more people will participate.  :)

In response to the post that started this topic, I don't have a complete fursuit either. Other expenses will leave me with no money left for a totally awesome fursuit. I still only have things like tails, ears, etc. But that's okay. Furry isn't like some kind of "rich people only" club for people who can afford awesome suits.

When I think of furry, the first image I think of is an anthro animal, not a human with cat ears. But yes, I'd consider neko as furry as long as they consider themselves furry.

As for anyone who is horrified at being associated with furry, maybe they saw something on TV that stereotypes furries and also don't know about PG rated communities such as this one?

Yes, language changes all the time and not everything can be put into a next little box. This may annoy people who like to categorize everything and prescribe a bunch of rules. But living languages, like English for example, constantly change.

So we have words like furry, therian, neko, were, and a bunch of words that slightly overlap. There are separate online communities, with some people looking down upon another community or having a different idea of what a word means. But there are also people who label themselves as being two or more of those things.

Edit: I type fast. Who's going to read all of that? I shortened it a little.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:19:01 am by werecat2012 »

Offline Drake Fireborne

• Male
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 08:55:56 am »
I doubt we have much right to be choosy... Way I see it, if someone wants to call themselves furry and even remotley fits, and isn't a nuisance to society any more then the rest of us, We could probably use the numbers xD
Don't mess in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with chocolate. - source unknown

Offline werecat2012

• Male
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 09:28:41 pm »
I doubt we have much right to be choosy... Way I see it, if someone wants to call themselves furry and even remotley fits, and isn't a nuisance to society any more then the rest of us, We could probably use the numbers xD

This is very true, especially about the numbers! Not all of us live in or near major cities where meeting other furries and going to conventions is easy. I have a job and a car. But I haven't been working there long enough to take a vacation. And I don't have the money to travel 500 miles away and get a motel room. So my participation is basically still limited to posting on message boards.

I'm sure that we all have quirks that others find annoying. So I'm not too worried about the nuisance aspect.  :D