Author Topic: What do you play games on?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Mylo

What do you play games on?
« on: February 16, 2013, 03:50:55 pm »
What is your preferred avenue for electronic gaming?  Do you like playing your video games on a PC?  Do you like playing your games on a console, like the PS3 or Xbox 360?  What about smart phone games?  Which is your favorite?  If you want to share what consoles you own only, visit this thread.  This is a thread to describe why you like one avenue for gaming over another, or why you like several (you can also describe why you like one console over another, say, PS3 over Xbox 360, etc...).

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
Re: What do you play games on?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 11:40:39 pm »
I like games on all different kinds of systems, PCs, consoles, mobile, etc. but my preference is to use dedicated game consoles (my currently most frequently used is the PS3).
My experience has been that for what can be played on a $200 to $300 game system, it may cost upwards of $1000 to $2000 or more to build a PC that can play the same games well, and still may not play them properly (of course this is only for games that are available on multiple platforms).

In my experience, many multi-platform games that are made for consoles usually play better on the console that they're originally intended for as they're optimized for that hardware.
Things like collision detection and general responsiveness, sound quality, graphics, etc. are just not as good on the PC versions, and I’ve found this to be the case of several games that I’ve been able to play on both consoles and PC.
Mind that it’s not that the PC versions were bad, it’s just that they were not as nice, did not play as cleanly, and the physics seem clunky on many of the games, the worst of which I've ever encountered over the years was probably GTA SA which played well on the PS2, but was very clunky and buggy on the PC.

However a PC does have it's place in terms of gaming for me, as there are some games that simply must be played on PC, either because they're exclusive or because any console versions are just striped down afterthoughts.
Sid Meier's Civilization would be a good example of a franchise of games that should not be played on anything but a PC.

Though still, dedicated game consoles will always come first in terms of my preferences.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:42:14 pm by Storm Fox »
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Arashi_Calunata

• Species: Solus Cat
  • That's what happens? Fascinating!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 11:09:38 pm »
Xbox 360. While I may have a extreme distaste for paying for my Xbox LIVE multiplayer and other stuff, I do prefer the system because everyone online in all the games just seem flat out more skilled. I like a challenge. Not to mention the fact that it has Halo and Gears.
Artist by trade, Soldier by choice.

475 consecutive last stands. Funny how that happens, huh?

A 'Solus Cat' is my evolution on my older species, the Hreldren. But better.

Offline Chaos

• My soon to be fursuit :)
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 01:23:05 am »
PS3 by farr and i also play world of warcraft my worgen is a furry :)

Offline Lonely Wolf

• I will be remembered
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:16:08 pm »
I play on a xbox. Just because all my friends had one before me.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."-Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline Ezrah

• Species: Siberian Husky/German Shepherd mix
  • (AKA Geiger)
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:22:11 pm »
I am for PC for strategy based games but mainly I use a PS3. I don't use Xbox 360. I wouldn't want to have to pay for online.
Come and join the party dressed to kill.

Avatar done by Star-gazer on FurAffinity.

Offline dodbringr

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 10:30:13 pm »
PC for everything. We don't have any other consoles (never have) and it would take us forever to figure out the controls...
*tries using an XBOX: "WHERE IS THE JUMP BUTTON???"*   :D

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 06:03:42 am »
I'm pretty much a PC gamer for everything. Things that don't need fine aiming, such as Fable, I can and will play on the Xbox. But I can't aim with a controller, so it's good old mouse and keyboard for anything involving shooting.

Also I only own a PC and have had to borrow friend's Xboxes, and can't afford any consoles of my own, which kinda limits me XD

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 04:01:18 am »
*tries using an XBOX: "WHERE IS THE JUMP BUTTON???"*   :D

I would hope by now they let you re-bind controls.
-I still can't think of anything.

Offline Natura Wolf

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 06:08:06 am »
I have the PSone, Two & three next to eachother above my PC.
My gaming station XD

Offline Blackrose13

• Species: Fox/wolf/corgi/other canine
  • The furry little freak
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 11:53:25 am »
Wii system for most of my console gaming, but I am also fond of the Dsi for gaming on the go. My computer is too slow to try a PC game.
"Snuzzles!"
Profile pic by Saiyu
pm me if you want me to make something into D&D homebrew for you (sources will be credited of course)
Official Game master status! :D
"As long as theres music, ill keep on dancing!"

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 04:28:13 am »
As an aside, looking at the title I must ask: why is it that we so often talk about "games" but really mean things like video games? And I don't mean this to sound accusing. I do it to. I often refer to "the game industry" when I'm really talking about the industry of video and computer games and other games in digital format. In fact, I'm now going to answer my own question because I do it because there isn't a satisfactory shorthand that encompasses all these electronic media games. It's the same reason I sometimes use the term "board games" and include with that similar games which don't actually have a board such as card games and dice games. We probably really shouldn't use language so sloppily, but... anyways... on to the topic.

I mostly play games on computer. It's not that I don't like console game, it's due to the space and money requirements of having consoles. I'm gonna have my computer whether I'm playing games or not, so it's just a more convenient platform.  I also play games on my smart phone. But this is mainly to help pass the time while riding the bus or waiting for a bus to show up. I play games on other stuff sometimes too, but these two platforms are by far the most common for me.

Offline Graywolf440

• Male
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 07:50:37 am »
I don't own a PS3 or an XBOX360 and my parents won't let me get any new game systems :'(
But I am a PC gamer(especially when it comes to minecraft and similar games) and I'll also lay my 3DS and Wii when I have nothing better to do.

Offline letterONE

• Lol I'm new.
  • Male
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 06:57:17 pm »
I don't play games often nowadays, but when I do, I play most of them on previous generation consoles. I love me some Gamecube and PS2.

I do enjoy PC gaming though. I'm a huge fan of Minecraft and the various indie games out there. Not to mention, I do think the PC is essentially the perfect gaming system. It can accomplish so much more than consoles.
Hey, this is a signature!

Offline Aloneness

• Species: Hella Gay Wolf
  • Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 05:07:42 pm »
I have a high end gaming computer, I don't need any other system.
Ren's Translation Note:
Konnichiwa = Hello, Nani = What?, Великий ведра огонь! = Great Buckets of Fire!

Avi by Haru

Offline Razmina

• Species: Sea Otter
  • Aim for the shins!
  • Female
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 04:15:01 pm »
I'm behind on systems, which at first I hated then realized I wasn't interested in most of the newer games.
My favorite kind of games tend to be like Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger, including their 2d graphics.
If there's an mmorpg like those out there like that I'd probably play it.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/11025482/  <my spot on FurAffinity (I don't go there any more though) with the original link for my avatar/s of Razmina formerly known as Vivido Rainrite
Posted for anyone who wants to know the artists!

Offline Mylo

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 08:02:56 pm »
Kazuo Hirai wants you to play your games on the PlayStation 4.  :)