Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
general non-furry discussion / Re: What really "grinds your gears"?
« Last post by Yip on Today at 05:31:39 am »
I'm Australian myself, and I like brevity as much as the next guy, but "of" is not a shortened form of "have", it's just the wrong word. Nobody who writes "should of" does so because they decided that "have" has two letters too many. Besides, "should have" already has two shortened forms, "should've" and "shoulda", neither of which misuse a word to mean something it doesn't.
"Should of" = "should've" when they are spoken. So I don't see how this is more of a grammar offense than something like "irregardless" where it literally would mean the opposite of what they mean it to mean.

On that note, I dislike it when people use the word "literally" for emphasis rather than to say it is literal. The reason this "grinds my gears" is because it breaks down the ability for the word to convey the meaning it's suppose to convey. The whole point of language is to convey meaning, so I don't like it when words are used in ways that could get in the way of conveying meaning. But it otherwise does not bother me if words are used differently for stylistic choice or to conveying meaning in other ways.
« Last post by Foxpup on Today at 01:11:55 am »
Australians really like to shorten words. Using a different word does not mean that we are illiterate.
I'm Australian myself, and I like brevity as much as the next guy, but "of" is not a shortened form of "have", it's just the wrong word. Nobody who writes "should of" does so because they decided that "have" has two letters too many. Besides, "should have" already has two shortened forms, "should've" and "shoulda", neither of which misuse a word to mean something it doesn't.
« Last post by Keitsu on Today at 12:40:44 am »
People who do not understand that language changes over time and the definition of words and syntax (grammar) of the English language is not set in stone. For example, people who get upset when "should of" is used in replacement of "should have".
No, I understand perfectly. I accept "irregardless" as using a non-standard double-negative for emphasis; there ain't nothing wrong with that. I'll even accept "conversate"; that it's unnecessarily long is hardly a valid criticism when the same can be said of "converse". But I draw the line at using one word when another is meant for no other reason than the writer being too illiterate to know the difference.
Australians really like to shorten words. Using a different word does not mean that we are illiterate.
furry lite™ / Re: You know you are Furry........
« Last post by wereaibo1 on September 25, 2017, 07:38:12 pm »
...you write a fan letter to your favorite cartoon character, and get a response fom his nemesis.

This actually happened to me.

Seems like there's an interesting story there. Care to elaborate?
furries on furry / Re: Walmart selling furstuit heads????
« Last post by wereaibo1 on September 25, 2017, 07:35:35 pm »
Seems more like this is a Halloween related thing than a Furry thing. Though when I saw them last time I was at Walmart looking for those new Fingerlings animatronic monkeys for my robot critter collection I was tempted to look for a dog or wolf one even though I never had much interest in fursuiting.
general non-furry discussion / Re: Stephen King's "IT"
« Last post by wereaibo1 on September 25, 2017, 07:26:01 pm »
It is probably my favorite book. I'm dying to see the movie but social anxiety tends to keep me away from movie theatres.
And, yes, I just got done with rereading the book and Pennywise is some ancient Eldritch abomination type thing. It can take any form but it's preferred form is that of a clown. It's true form is revealed to be a giant spider. But that is only because it's the closest thing to what it really looks like that the human mind can comprehend. Those who see it as it really is or looks into it's "deadlights" is driven insane or goes catatonic. So, yeah, an alligator would be about as much a threat to Pennywise as a baby cockroach would be to a human.
Yeah, I've always hated the "elves dwarves and humans are always good and beast type beings are usually evil" thing myself as well. Humans tend to like to make themselves Mary Sue type characters in fiction. Humans are special and any creature that disagrees is automatically evil.
poetry corner / *spoken word* It's About Time
« Last post by Glycanthrope on September 25, 2017, 03:07:18 pm »
I've recorded a reading of some of my poetry, set to music.

Some of the poems have been posted here previously, but since Furtopia doesn't support audio material (yet),
I'm afraid I have to lure you to my Furaffinity account to listen to it.

The poems are about writing, and capturing the moment of "now"
Running time is approx 13 minutes, including a six minute musical interlude I call "concerto for piano and railway."
It's a recording of a busy subway station, where all the recognizable musical notes have been singled out,
and played on piano and cello, then mixed back in with the original sounds.

admittedly, It's a bit on the experimental side but... hey, it's SFW.

https://www.furaffinity.net/view/24788912/
furry storytelling / Carter Wolf - Cry me a Murder; full story
« Last post by Glycanthrope on September 25, 2017, 02:49:34 pm »
A while ago, I posted the first chapter of a mystery novel I was working on, called "Cry me a Murder."
It's now complete, and can be downloaded in PDF format from

https://www.furaffinity.net/view/24850491/

Normally, I'd just add this update as a reply to the original post, but since it's older than 180 days,
I was adviced to start a new topic.

It's not a "furry" story, but a mystery/thriller with therian/otherkin overtones. 

As to adhere to the Furtopia guidelines, the story is clean, SFW and contains NO sexual content.
There are references to "after the fact" violence (hey, it's a murder mystery), references to drinking and mild swearing.

Hope you'll enjoy it.

general non-furry discussion / Re: The "Bad News" thread.
« Last post by Kaiden on September 25, 2017, 02:26:38 pm »
Just realized that my favorite furry con and my local Civil Air Patrol wing conference fall on the same weekend. Plus the latter is coming to my hometown.
Bummer man,  choose the furry con, there will be other conferences.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10