Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I don't think they should be taken down either. These people are depriving future generations the joy of pointing at it and saying. "Yes, they even erect statues of losers."

Make America great again. If you can hit a nazi and his head hits a alt right. Your a hero. It's a free country. No one is forcing them to live here. If they don't like what America stands for they can leave. We don't need them.
the polling booth / Re: Removing Confederate statues and memorials.
« Last post by Loc on Today at 01:31:08 am »
Let's look at other memorials. Starting small.

When someone gets hit by a car and killed, there are pictures of the victim. Flowers to them. Remembering them. Not the attacker.

When someone shoots up a school, the memorials are of the kids. To the kids. About the kids. Not about the shooter.

When a world war happens, the memorials are of those fighting against oppression and death. Not supporting, for instance, the Nazis. Not celebrating them.

That's the issue, here. These statues are of the aggressors. They're honouring the wrong side. It is easily possible to make a memorial to the horrible events that happened without highlighting and glorifying the slave owners.

Civil rights and the emancipation of the slaves should be celebrated. 70 years post Holocaust, Germany is still ashamed of the Nazis. 150 years post the many many people who died in slavery, there are still people talking about the South rising again.

general non-furry discussion / Re: What really "grinds your gears"?
« Last post by Kobuk on August 15, 2017, 09:16:39 pm »
Here's another thing that grinds my gears: The KKK, neo-Nazi's, and/or other alt-right hate groups preaching "white power" and/or that society should be for whites only, or that only "pure" white people should vote, hold office, etc., etc.

Got a news flash for ya. There's no such thing as 100% white or 100% black or 100% hispanic, etc., etc.  The human race has been traveling, intermingling, marrying, interbreeding, etc. for countless centuries. Egyptians and Polish. Chinese and Norwegians. Hondurans and South Africans. And on and on and on and on. You can claim you are 100% American or Chinese or Swedish or some other race or ethnicity all you want. But the straight fact is, you're a mixture of different peoples. Want proof? Feel free to find some place to run a DNA test on you. Or better yet, research your geneaology and family history and see how far back it goes and who married whom, etc.
« Last post by Shim on August 15, 2017, 07:49:54 pm »
I agree with Shim's statement with punching Nazis in the face, especially the pretenders that call themselves neo-nazies. Ever seen "The Blues Brothers"? I love the bridge scene.

The civil war was a subject that has been a hot debate even before it was started. It has never been wholly settled, but people were united as a nation until a small group of people took it upon themselves to force their views upon another.

Personally I find people who burn American flags to be extremely offensive, and I think they should be arrested for doing so at a minimum... though perhaps they should be shown the same kind of "peaceful" protest they have thus so far shown others. Regardless I haven't demanded that they be arrested and tried and put into prison, nor have I looted anyone's store or curb stomped anyone's face in because in the United States you have that right. If the citizens of a city, state, or nation want a monument put up to the flying spaghetti monster what right do others have to tell them to tear it down?

Comic not embedded due to use of the a-word

https://xkcd.com/1357/
« Last post by Varg the wanderer on August 15, 2017, 07:04:08 pm »
I agree with Shim's statement with punching Nazis in the face, especially the pretenders that call themselves neo-nazies. Ever seen "The Blues Brothers"? I love the bridge scene.

The civil war was a subject that has been a hot debate even before it was started. It has never been wholly settled, but people were united as a nation until a small group of people took it upon themselves to force their views upon another.

Personally I find people who burn American flags to be extremely offensive, and I think they should be arrested for doing so at a minimum... though perhaps they should be shown the same kind of "peaceful" protest they have thus so far shown others. Regardless I haven't demanded that they be arrested and tried and put into prison, nor have I looted anyone's store or curb stomped anyone's face in because in the United States you have that right. If the citizens of a city, state, or nation want a monument put up to the flying spaghetti monster what right do others have to tell them to tear it down?
« Last post by Shim on August 15, 2017, 06:05:07 pm »
Do you know who else is adamant about destroying monuments that go against their ideals? ISIS. They want to rewrite history because they do not like it, and many of these people who want to destroy Confederate monuments do too. Be cautious of anyone who takes offence to the records of history. You do not have to like it, just respect that it happened.

Not forgetting history is not the same as taking down racist memorial statues of people who wanted other people dead. How is this even a debate

PUNCH NAZIS IN THE FACE
« Last post by Loc on August 15, 2017, 05:37:27 pm »
There is a difference between respecting that a terrible thing happened and not forgetting it, and celebrating that thing.
general non-furry discussion / Re: What really "grinds your gears"?
« Last post by Loc on August 15, 2017, 05:34:31 pm »
What grinds my gears is people thinking those fighting against oppression and hatred are as bad as those who literally advocate the extermination of large parts of the population.

Another lot of people fought against oppression and fascism back in the 40s. Funny, people aren't whining against them being progressive liberals, but when it happens today...

---

On a lighter note, what also annoys me is the neighbours complaining whenever someone else uses the completely free, public parking space along our road that they prefer to use. They have a double driveway, and yet never park on it and complain when someone else takes "their" parking spot.

Also people selling things, listing it as Free, who then say "make me an offer".
That's not what free means. If you have a price in mind, then say it and we can work from there.
« Last post by Varg the wanderer on August 15, 2017, 05:17:11 pm »
Do you know who else is adamant about destroying monuments that go against their ideals? ISIS. They want to rewrite history because they do not like it, and many of these people who want to destroy Confederate monuments do too. Be cautious of anyone who takes offence to the records of history. You do not have to like it, just respect that it happened.
« Last post by Kobuk on August 15, 2017, 03:54:42 pm »
News story:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/14/us/confederate-statue-pulled-down-north-carolina-trnd/index.html
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/15/politics/donald-trump-robert-e-lee/index.html

Read the news stories, then ask yourselves and decide if Confederate memorials should be taken down? IMO, I feel it's wrong to remove them. In short, it's "revisionist history".  >:(  As Trump said, How far will it go? Will memorials to Washington or Jefferson be next? Should we demolish the Great Pyramid in Egypt because it was built by slaves? Granted, a lot of bad things happened throughout history. But they are still history nonetheless and should never be forgotten.

Kobuk are you actually serious right now.

Are you actually serious?

Punch nazis in the face.

Yes, Shim. I am serious. Just because I'm advocating leaving the memorials up does not mean in any way that I am advocating hate, the Confederacy, hate groups, or anything else of the sort. I don't like a lot of the bad things that happened during the Civil War and/or some of the people who did them. Memorials of any kind serve multiple purposes and have many meanings. But those Confederate memorials also are a way to get people to understand that we should never forget our past and not repeat the mistakes that we have made.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10