Author Topic: Finding Driver software.  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Offical Birthday Wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Finding Driver software.
« on: October 30, 2014, 09:10:44 am »
In the past one could usually go to a manufacturers website, and find a
list of driver software for their products.

Seems like any more one is expected to buy some driver update software to find
new drivers for computer hardware.

I am curious if anyone can point me to good update software for drivers. I bought
DL Cleaner which claimed to find new drivers, but if anything it did more harm than
help for driver updates. Now they claim I can't use it because I have it on too many
computers. I only have it on one computer, but due to the need to reinstall it several
times they seem to think each install was another computer. So they can keep their
software. :P

I have used the windows search for drivers option on my computer, but I have yet to
see it find anything online.

oldrabbit.com

Offline greenfox

• Species: Fox
  • struct fox_t = { .color = COLOR_GREEN };
  • Male
Re: Finding Driver software.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 12:25:33 pm »
In the past one could usually go to a manufacturers website, and find a
list of driver software for their products.

Seems like any more one is expected to buy some driver update software to find
new drivers for computer hardware.

:o That's news to me; I don't recall ever encountering such a program.  I wonder how a third party program could possibly hope to manage and update all the disparate drivers on your system (if they're not in some cetralized pool/repository), especially if the Windows isn't even able to help you.

Any specific devices/manufacturers?
"Vira pyveþ maze lirno kaietello jai."
I am only a lone man with ten-thousand dreams.

Weasyl: http://www.weasyl.com/~quyk

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:00:21 pm »
Buy? Drivers? What manner of swindling is this? Hardware companies sell hardware. Everybody who uses the drivers has already paid for the hardware, and the hardware is a lot harder to download illegally. The hardware companies know this; that's why they give away the drivers and charge for the hardware. Who the Hell is trying to sell you drivers?
“Hmm... They have the Internet on computers now.” - Homer Simpson

“Art doesn't work without pain. Art exists for compensating pain.” - Till Lindemann

“There's a fine line between sayings that make sense.” - Too Much Coffee Man

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 09:59:16 pm »
Avoid using third party software to update your drivers! They usually contain viruses and malware. Also completely avoid downloading anything from CNET. They are EVIL! They bundle malware and advertisements into installers for programs that aren't even theirs.

How to update drivers:
I've never heard of such a thing as having to purchase third party installers. To update drivers on windows 7 you do the following. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/update-driver-hardware-isnt-working-properly#update-driver-hardware-isnt-working-properly=windows-7

Graphics card drivers:
If you wan't to update a graphics card then there may be a specific way in which you need to update it. Usually you can get that information from the official website of the company who makes the drivers. Note that you are looking for the company that makes the drivers, not the company that produces the hardware to run with the drivers. An example of this would be my MSI GTX TFIII. MSI is the hardware manufacturer and Nvidia is the company behind it's drivers and sofware.

___

Also, DL cleaner is malware (I suggest you try to get a refund). I suggest you remove it with malwarebytes free version: https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Please research software before downloading, installing or purchasing it. Also make sure that the website you on is legitimate. An example of a illegitimate site would be CNET. If you wanted to download gimp it would be from www.gimp.org/ not CNET's website.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:26:29 pm by Sciex »

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 10:24:45 pm »
Old Rabbit, a suggestion for the next time you encounter software that's either available for download or already on your computer (especially if you don't recall installing it yourself): Google the software's name.  If you find that half of the first page of results are on the subject of how to remove the software, it's almost certainly something that you do not want to be on your machine.  I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you've paid for rogue software.  You've basically been ripped off.

Your initial inclination is correct; most companies (for instance, HP, Intel, and nVidia) will provide drivers for their hardware through their respective websites.  You can either Google your device name or go to those websites directly to find the drivers (in the latter case, some websites support automated detection of your hardware through scripts or executables).  Going to the website of the manufacturer of the hardware itself will allow you to find the most recent drivers, but going to the website of the manufacturer of your desktop or laptop can sometimes allow you to find drivers that might be more likely to work on your hardware should the newest drivers fail to work for you.

(*pseudo-edit: I've been ninja'd, apparently*)
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 10:30:04 pm »
(*pseudo-edit: I've been ninja'd, apparently*)
Are you referring to how I post early and then edit my posts about 5 times? XD Thus it looks like you said what has already been said before even though I've added that through editing.

I always try to rephrase what I've said or reformat it to make it more easily read. I have a habit of writing in a complicated way for simple things :/ I also do edits to fix typos or add information.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:32:46 pm by Sciex »

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 10:54:27 pm »
Are you referring to how I post early and then edit my posts about 5 times? XD Thus it looks like you said what has already been said before even though I've added that through editing.

I started my post before you made your post; by the time I was about to finalize my post, you had pretty much already said 90% of what I was going to say.

On a side note, if you haven't tried it before, you might find the post preview feature to be of interest.  Just click the "Preview" button instead of the "Post" button to use it.  It's a good way to catch mistakes (such as typo'd BBCode) before making your post.
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Old Rabbit

• Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 09:20:00 am »
Interesting to find out drivers are still available from manufactures websites. I just tried
to find one on Wacom's site. They seemed to have removed them as I found them there
last summer, but not now.

It may be due to my vision, but over the last few years it seems drivers have
become harder to find. At the same time a proliferation of driver update software
has been showing up. So I presumed the manufactures were purposely making
it harder to get drivers directly from them. It would seem this would cause them
more trouble than keeping drivers on their server.

I generally don't worry about new drivers as long as the hardware works. Usually
it's only needed with new operating systems if at all.

Due to the fact most update software will find something wrong with a clean
operating system install. I decided a long time ago they were just selling a
bunch of nonsense.

I finally decided to try DL Cleaner because of the driver finding problems. But
I removed it, and have no future plans to use any other 3rd party update/cleaning
software.

Due to the fact my girl friend enjoys playing warcraft, I play the game with her. I was
loading the game a couple days ago when it recommended I update the driver for my
video card. 

So I went to Radeon's website to find one. There was a link to a page with drivers, but
no drivers were listed on the page that came up. The card is listed on my computer as
a "AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series".  The computer tells me it's driver is working fine. I imagine
it would say that even if a better driver was available.  :P

I don't know how good the card is. It's just the one that came with the computer. They
always brag on them anyway.

Thanks for all the input. It's greatly appreciated. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 10:56:29 am »
Interesting to find out drivers are still available from manufactures websites. I just tried
to find one on Wacom's site. They seemed to have removed them as I found them there
Nope. The drivers are just two clicks from the home page, which admittedly has a rather confusing layout. They're on the Customer Care page. I think this is the one you're looking for.

Due to the fact most update software will find something wrong with a clean
operating system install. I decided a long time ago they were just selling a
bunch of nonsense.
That is a wise decision.

So I went to Radeon's website to find one. There was a link to a page with drivers, but
no drivers were listed on the page that came up. The card is listed on my computer as
a "AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series".  The computer tells me it's driver is working fine. I imagine
it would say that even if a better driver was available.  :P
Of course it says that. In fact, if manages to say anything at all, your video driver is working fine. Ever seen a snow crash before? It's a thing of beauty. It makes you appreciate the simple things in life. Such as the ability to display graphics of any kind on your monitor...

I'd give you a download link, but upgrading AMD video drivers is basically a dice toss as to whether your machine will even work at all afterwards. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Can you tell I'm not particularly happy with AMD's drivers? Specifically, no version of Catalyst 14 works on my system, and nobody knows why. >:(
“Hmm... They have the Internet on computers now.” - Homer Simpson

“Art doesn't work without pain. Art exists for compensating pain.” - Till Lindemann

“There's a fine line between sayings that make sense.” - Too Much Coffee Man

Offline Old Rabbit

• Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 01:11:45 pm »
Thanks for the help on the Wacom driver.  I think I will leave the video card driver alone as
per your suggestion.  I have two operating systems on this computer and the card works
well with both.

I haven't had much trouble with hardware. One video card just failed to work once when
I turned the computer on..  Otherwise I haven't seen one fail in use.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:16:21 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline greenfox

• Species: Fox
  • struct fox_t = { .color = COLOR_GREEN };
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 03:18:01 pm »

It may be due to my vision, but over the last few years it seems drivers have
become harder to find.

It's not just you - I've noticed as well that drivers are a lot more difficult to locate than they used to be.  My suspicion is that in this era of computing, more and more drivers are automatically managed and installed by the OS behind the scenes or made irrelevant by stuff like tablets, so distribution has become a really low priority (remember how every new piece of hardware you bought used to come with a driver install disk?).

If the driver you're looking for is particularly hard to find though, you might have better luck calling/emailing customer service and making a fuss about it.  It's probably the best way to let them know that their system is giving customers difficulty.
"Vira pyveþ maze lirno kaietello jai."
I am only a lone man with ten-thousand dreams.

Weasyl: http://www.weasyl.com/~quyk

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 06:38:00 pm »
I wouldn't say they're hard to find. Just poor website design. They're exactly were I expected to find the drivers after working out the website. There's a good chance the produce is no longer supported so it's been taken off the site or placed under legacy devices if you can't find it.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*