Author Topic: Advice?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Kaloth

• Something goes here
  • Male
Advice?
« on: May 15, 2008, 07:58:51 pm »
I was drawing a picture and the pose I was doodling had one hand forward (as though punching the "camera") and holding a dagger.

I have two questions:
One is how do you all show that something is closer to the "camera" and the rest of the picture?

And how would you advise drawing a hand that is wrapped around something (I.e a hilt)

P.S. I have looked at many other picture to try to get a feel, and I saw how they both of these things but it did not help. Any help would be much appreciated

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
Re: Advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:38:10 pm »
First piece of advice: Use more descriptive subjects for your posts. It will help draw attention to it and also help others with similar issues in the future find it with the search feature.

Now, as for your actual questions, there are a number of techniques that can help give the illusion of something being closer. Though mastering such things can be difficult.
Things to consider:

focus - we can't focus on both close things and farther away things at the same time. So by faking this and making either the near or far part of the image slightly blurry it can help add to the illusion of depth.

line thickness - making closer objects use thicker line-weight can help show it as closer.

level of detail - we can see more detail on closer objects.

shading - things generally get darker or lighter as they get further away. Though unless you're using dramatic lighting, this might not work on a character picture. This technique is generally used for environments.

saturation - The farther away something is, the less saturated it becomes. Like shading, this technique is mostly for environments and is of limited use for doing characters do to lack of difference in distance from close things to far things.

size - this one should be obvious, but it's still worth stating, the closer an object is, the bigger it will appear. This is where you will often need to get into foreshortening. Speaking of which...

foreshortening - when looking at objects at sharp angles, that is when something is pointed at or away from the viewer, these objects will appear shorter then they really are.  This technique is very powerful and almost a necessity for the kind of image you describe, but it can be tricky to make it look truly foreshortened rather than just disfigured.

As for the pose (holding onto the hilt), my best advice is use a mirror. In fact, a mirror can help you with many of the above suggestions as well. Also you could take or find photos to use as reference, or maybe get a friend to pose for you if the mirror isn't good enough.

Good luck with the picture.

Offline Mianame

• Female
    • www.mirches.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:45:02 pm »
Well Vararam pretty much hit every point you can on this XD Good job man! But you can also scan in the picture here and post it here to show us in case you want more advice. Anyway, good luck and show us how it turns out!

Offline Kaloth

• Something goes here
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 07:38:31 pm »
I have the picture almost done (the advice helped alot) I will have it done by sunday at latest and will post it. The pose looks like his hand is doing action  but nothing else is (will probably redraw it).

Offline wulfstar

• Male
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 12:57:47 pm »
Well, I read up on foreshortening a bit, If you're still interested, i hope this helps:

According to some reading I've done, an important part of it is exaggerating the 3 dimensional qualities of what you're drawing (also known as barreling). If its an arm, emphasise the roundness of it as much as possible, add armbands, or tattoos, that stretch around it.

Straight out of a random "how to draw" book i was flipping through today at the library...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:12:37 pm by wulfstar »
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline Lightstep

• Female
    • FA account
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:30:29 pm »
When attempting more dynamic poses like this, comic books are a -great- tool for understanding depth of field and angle of character. Those artists are masters at movement, as well as functionality and believability. To get a better feel for proportions and foreshortening, it's a really great idea to invest some time studying vanishing points. It's definately a tricky subject when you first get into it, as it explains how to create scenes using various angles and how they relate in space, plus their appearence in relation to that space. However, it will help you figure out how to properly foreshorten objects, and view them from different sides/angles with consistancy. Never too early to start learning.

But, I'm sure if you posted your picture here, there would be a variety of people that would be more than happy to redline it for you, to hopefully give you a better idea for next time.

Oh! And a really good book on vanishing points is one called: "Vanishing Point: Perspective for Comics From the Ground Up" by Jason Cheeseman-Meyer. It's a little bit complex, but if you follow page by page, doing your own drawings inbetween to experiment with the new concepts, it starts to make sense very quickly
  <-- Yay! Dragons !