Author Topic: Commission pricing  (Read 785 times)

Offline Firehazard

• Slightly used and mostly confused!
  • Male
    • My FurAffinity
Commission pricing
« on: October 09, 2005, 11:53:59 pm »
This isn't strictly technique, but I couldn't figure out where else it would fit.

I have now begun to receive art commissions, and I have a problem: I have no idea what to charge for them!  I know there are other threads about this, but darned if I can find 'em!  (The Search engine was no help either.)  Keep in mind my level of skill at this point, and don't worry about offending me by naming a "low" amount; I'm more likely to charge too little than too much anyway.
Quote from: Savaaha
We have a 27in westinghouse hd flat widescreen TV, Tak has it connected up so its our TV and his comp monitor. We had it since 2009 and its going great.

Art by me.

Offline Om

• Back from lunch.
  • Female
    • Om's DeviantArt
Commission pricing
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 03:02:09 pm »
I went around to other artists' sites that I knew were similar skill level to me and a little higher, saw what their prices were and adjusted accordingly. It was hard to pin down prices. Some suggest you should think about how much time you put into a particular type of piece on average, then whatever hourly wage you'd like to get for it. *shrugs*

-Kai.
"It can't remember the words, but it meant them. In it's liver, it meant them." - Ed, from Digger.

http://greatom.deviantart.com

Offline ObliviousAlly

• Ally the Sparkly
  • Female
    • Pipedreams
Commission pricing
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 03:19:59 pm »
Generally, good commission proces to start out with is something in the range of:

$5-$10 - Pencil sketch, depending on complexity.
$10-$15 or $20 - Inkwork, depending on complexity, again.
$20 or $25 and up - Colored work. Depending on media (CG, Markers, Paint, etc...) and complexity, of course.

I'm terrible with trying to judge commission prices for others, but I've started out with that general range, though I've raised mine a little since I first started taking commissions. People say I price my stuff pretty low still, though.

Offline Nocte

• Male
    • http://unicorn.furtopia.org/
Commission pricing
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 03:25:56 am »
FallenAngel's list is a good one to start with. You could also consider offering a commission on an auction site (like Furbid or FurEauction).
Drawing tutorial
FEHu3a A+ C D-- H M- P R++ T W-- Z Sm- RLCT a cl++++ d+ e+++ f- h+++ i++ j p sm*