Author Topic: painting  (Read 977 times)

Offline me1234

• Female
painting
« on: January 23, 2008, 08:27:11 am »
for those here that paint..do you just go for it on the canvas or do you do a light sketching outline first then paint over that?

Offline Sskessa

• magically delicious
    • 14 Nights -- A webcomic
painting
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 02:04:29 pm »
There's many different techniques, as well as many different types of paint.
Some people will want to control their painting as much as a drawing, and I think they would use some sort of sketch.
Myself, (and I use watercolor) I do extensive thumbnail sketches and gesture drawings until I have the feeling of what I want to paint. Then I do a very light sketch of the major shapes on the paper, sometimes even with my non-familiar (left) hand. The goal for me is not to "color in the lines", but to react freshly to the paint as I'm using it. Does that make sense? With watercolor, the most interesting things usually happen unintentionally.
I'll post some of my work in the art section soon, and then you can see what I'm talking about. I'm not sure how well it applies to oil or acrylic.
Someone Else's Problem: My adventures in China

I have never had a deep interest in revenge. Revenge is the concern of those who are at some point or other beaten.
-- The Tale of the Body Thief

Offline Tevnon

• Male
    • Tevnon's Web Site
Re: painting
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 05:39:42 pm »
I've done it both ways, but then I havenít worked with paint since my high school art classes way back when. Anyway, it really just depends on what you are trying to do.
"I worry less about embarrassment than about missing an opportunity."-Nassim Nicholas Taleb