Author Topic: Midwest FurFest, Nov. 18-20, 2011  (Read 8228 times)

Offline Shim

• But wait, there's more!
  • Male
Re: Midwest FurFest, Nov. 18-20, 2011
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2011, 12:09:02 am »
Just keep me updated with whatever. I'm currently looking into getting a ride there ;).

Offline Sheeta

• Species: Kittygirl!
  • By the power of Grayskull
  • Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2011, 08:00:50 pm »
I'm down with chipping in for pizza. 
"YOU ARE A CHAMPION, MY FRIEND!"

"People are into it for all sorts of reasons, but I think most people here just think animal people are neat to draw." --"Sue"

Stop by!  www.furaffinity.net/user/nubiankitten7
             www.nubiankitten.deviantart.com/

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2011, 09:53:13 pm »
Feel free to start PM'ing me your cell number if you want me to text you my room number. I'll also post it here as soon as I can from the con, but I'm not going to post it on the con notice board or anything. We didn't request a party floor room and don't want a bunch of people coming in and causing a lot of noise and get us in trouble.

*EDIT* I also see some other bronies in this thread. Anyone else planning to go to the brony meet at the con?
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2011, 11:42:59 pm »
*EDIT* I also see some other bronies in this thread. Anyone else planning to go to the brony meet at the con?

What day is it?

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2011, 11:45:08 pm »

What day is it?

'Tis why I said I hoped our meet wasn't during this time. ;)

As long as the meet isn't on Friday between 4-5pm, I'll be fine I think. (:

Offline Sheeta

• Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2011, 12:24:27 am »

I'm going to try and make it.

"People are into it for all sorts of reasons, but I think most people here just think animal people are neat to draw." --"Sue"

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2011, 01:33:02 am »
New rule: If you're going to cancel plans you made a year ago, how about telling everybody involved sometime BEFORE three days before the con.

I'm currently sitting here, in tears, looking for somebody to go with because my parents won't let me go unless I bring a friend along. Having asked everybody I know, everybody already seems to have plans or doesn't have the money to register.

Unless I find somebody really fast, I'm going to have the worst weekend of my life, sitting at home, knowing that I can't go to a place half an hour away, despite the fact that I'm 17 years old and the place is half an hour away. Knowing that I can't go next year because I'll probably be in a foreign country, I'm going to be beyond the normal amount of pissed if I don't find somebody I can go with.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:36:11 am by Shim »

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2011, 01:49:54 am »
Oh man. *hugs* I'm keeping my paws crossed for you. That's why never liked relying on roomates and such. I hear too many horror stories like this.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2011, 01:51:49 am »
Oh man. *hugs* I'm keeping my paws crossed for you. That's why never liked relying on roomates and such. I hear too many horror stories like this.

Well, it's more because I'm 17 and my parents don't want me walking around alone. I can see where they're coming from, but we only live 24 miles away! I've gone to this convention before!

Offline Sheeta

• Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2011, 10:14:34 pm »

Well, it's more because I'm 17 and my parents don't want me walking around alone. I can see where they're coming from, but we only live 24 miles away! I've gone to this convention before!

Aw man, that bites.   >:(

Weird idea in 3...2...1...

I know we only know each other in passing, but would it be cool if I was your chaperone?  I'll be in the dealer's room, but if you need someone to just catch a ride with and to keep tabs on you, I can do so.  Or, my hubby will be there on Saturday to Sunday to help out with food runs and errands.  He's not a furry but is an art/game/ geek and understands convention culture.  Don't know if your parents would be down with the idea, but it's an offer if you need it.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2011, 12:16:41 am »
Well, I came across a friend at school who was also planning on going, but his arrangements fell through as well. If this all works out, we'll be going together. I just need to confirm it now.

Sorry for freaking out last night. I had a really bad day and hearing my parents' reaction only worsened it x_x. Things are starting to look up.

Sheeta: Thank you so much for the offer. I really can't describe how much that would mean to me if I had no other way.

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2011, 02:22:56 am »
Glad to hear it might work out, Shim!  Keep your paws crossed ;)

I know I have one more day left before I start traveling, but it's still getting me excited!  It's going to be difficult to concentrate at work tomorrow...
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2011, 01:57:50 pm »
I'll be attending Midwest Furfest for my eighth year this year, and I will be once again selling some of my furry and cartoon animal artwork in the Midwest Furfest Art Show.  Be sure to swing by the Art Show and check it out if you get the chance!  I will try to make both the Brony and the Furtopia meet-up at the con if I can, and hopefully I will finally get the chance to meet a few of you in person.  Has anyone decided yet exactly when the Furtopia meetup will be on Saturday?  I saw one post that said 3PM, and another that said 5PM.  Is there any consensus?

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2011, 03:03:41 pm »
Looking at the schedule, the panels at 3:00 on Saturday don't look like they'd be popular enough to be an issue with most of us. Considering it will take a while to have pizza delivered once it's ordered, what about spanning this from 3-5'ish? 4:00 hour there are several panels but they too don't look like popular ones for the most part. They do have the fursuit dance check in at this time, so that could pose a problem if you plan to do that. *Remembers Sheeta busting a pretty good move a couple years ago in her suit at the regular dances and wondered if she was planning to do the contest* I also like the idea of 4-6 meeting, which I think puts food in a better time. Most people do a late start on breakfast, so it wouldn't be too long after that, and also help keep you going later into the night.

Now if everyone is ok with this, another option is I could order the pizzas well ahead of time, like in the morning and schedule it for delivery during the meet. This would give people a bit extra time to make it to the room, and the pizza place would love having the order ahead of time so they don't feel as rushed. The down side is I'd take a bit of a risk on paying all of this myself and then have to collect money at the door from everyone, I would want to order something like just cheese and single topping pizzas, or something similar that's easy, and I would need a head count ASAP of who's planning to come so I know how many to order.

So impromptu poll: Aside from cheese, what other types of pizza should I consider ordering?
Pepperoni
Ham
Hamburger
Hawaiian (only because I LOVE this kind :P )

Crust?
Thin
medium
Thick

Drinks?
Coke
Pepsi
Sprite
(these tend to be the most popular for large gatherings, but open to other suggestions)

I understand that everyone will have their own tastes and preferences, but I hope that what is ordered will be acceptable by everyone. Keep in mind that I'm looking to order the best OVERALL choices for the group as a whole. Meaning trying to keep cost down and nothing fancy.

Ack! How did I get roped in to doing this??? x_x

Oh yeah, I volunteered. (:

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2011, 10:11:19 pm »
I vote around 4-6 as well. Btw, guess who ended up being able to make it :D!

I like thick crust. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything that doesn't have spinach or pineapple :P.

Do we have a designated place and time we're meeting before heading to your room, Narei?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:15:57 pm by Shim »

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2011, 10:36:45 pm »
I like the idea of meeting in the con space first. I'm not familiar with the hotel to know a good spot, so was just originally planning on meeting at the room.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2011, 10:48:04 pm »
It isn't that hard to navigate, once you're there ;). I agree with Redyoshi here for a meeting place. Behind the escalators at the bottom floor. Anybody else up for that?

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2011, 10:58:55 pm »
Works for me. Will still share my room number just in case

Offline Sheeta

• Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2011, 11:21:15 am »
I'm also good for that.  To those who have my cell#, if you don't mind, could you text me when things are going on so that I can remember to actually unchain myself from the table?   :D  I have a habit of losing all sense of time when working on stuff.

Pizza-wise, I like thick crust but will indulge in thin if I absolutely have to.  ;)  I'm also good for just about any toppings except for mushrooms, olives, and anchovies.

*Remembers Sheeta busting a pretty good move a couple years ago in her suit at the regular dances and wondered if she was planning to do the contest*

Haha!  Nah, no contest for me.  I dance for the love of the craft, man!   :D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:23:59 am by Sheeta »

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2011, 11:51:25 am »
Hay guise! Finally got connected to the internet here at the hotel.  Last night was a bit on the surreal side for me, since this is my first con.  I'm excited for today, though!  We did a grocery run this morning, but now that we're back, it's full-on con mode for me!

Shim, so glad to hear you can definitely make it! :)  You'll probably be able to spot me because of my awesome tail, but I think I saw a few similar-looking ones go through the lobby when people were checking in.

Narei, I'll PM you for room number, in case you're still checking back here :) Otherwise I might see you at the brony meet today.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2011, 12:13:22 pm »
So close but yet so far. Had a couple things come up delaying us getting there until this evening I think. I'm pretty sure I'll be missing the brony meet. :(

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2011, 05:09:05 pm »
I'll be coming tomorrow morning at around 9:00 AM.

Edit: Warning: Last year, I was clean shaven and had short hair. Don't be alarmed when you see a sort of fro and a beard :P.

If you're looking for me, follow the pea-coat and the messenger bag with buttons of the cutie marks of the Mane 6!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:11:15 pm by Shim »

Offline Sk Skunk

• TANSTAAFL
  • Male
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2011, 07:04:19 pm »
Awesome con so far! Looking forward to meeting up on Saturday. 8)
"Who am I to say where my possibly non-existent soul has or has not been."

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2011, 07:25:34 pm »
Wish I was there at the con. I haven't been able to go for 6-7 years straight.  :'(
Click link below for more fursuit information. ;)
http://forums.furtopia.org/kobuk's-fursuit-guides/

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2011, 07:33:23 pm »
Flufftaur reporting in again.  The con is really fun! I laughed at the "My First Furry Convention" panel when Kage said there are people who forget to eat because they're having fun. Well, guess who almost forgot to eat dinner.  The brony panel was all right, but kind of disorganized. And there was THAT guy who didn't know when to stop "sharing."  Overall, I wish there was more time to do stuff, because you just can't do everything you want in the time allotted.

I'm looking forward to the Furtopia meetup tomorrow!