Author Topic: how did you choose your furry name  (Read 109828 times)

Offline Kek

• i need to get a job
  • Female
Re: how did you choose your furry name
« Reply #625 on: June 21, 2012, 05:25:06 pm »
I named my fursona by going to an egyptian name list and looked through until i found kek, which is the egyptian god of chaotic darkness and i figure the that would go well because shes black and it would kind of be an opposite to her ankh symbol on her forehead.
I'm just another teenage furry, though im not all that active in the fandom due to not wanting to associate myself with a fandom with such a bad rep. If anyone remembers me from a couple years ago when i first joined id like to formally apologize for you having to suffer that. im potatolumps on tumblr if you want to check out my blog or whatever, just know i dont often post anything furry related

Offline EmmaCornell

• Time to bake cupcakes!
  • Female
« Reply #626 on: June 22, 2012, 09:11:07 pm »
I named my newest fursona Rilo by taking the "R" from Rattus Rattus and the "lo" from Procyon lotor, the scientific names of the Black Rat and the North American Raccoon :)

Furry Code:
FCW3acdrs A- C- D+++ H+++ P++ R T++ W Z- Sf RLMH a- c++ d+ e- f++ h* i+ j+ p sf
To decode for you -> http://mj.ucw.cz/furry/ :)

Offline Kitsune the Wolfdog

• Female
« Reply #627 on: July 04, 2012, 02:13:04 am »
While my fursona maybe a dog, I am sure there are those out there who know that my name means fox. I am not confused,
I just really like foxes. I think that they're beautiful. I feel that about the word fox also, in english and japanese. Out of all
the animals out there I feel more like a dog, but I just love the name. I have been using it for years.

Offline Korvus

• Magic missile!
  • Male
« Reply #628 on: July 04, 2012, 03:19:31 am »
It was a pretty simple process, I was actually surprised when I found out there was no Korvus on FA already. I just took Corvids = Korvids = Korvus.
What is interesting although I noticed it later is that all the letters of Korvus also appear in my real name.

Offline Cirocco the Silver Fox

• Male
« Reply #629 on: July 11, 2012, 05:10:26 am »
The addition of "the Silver Fox" is simply a point of clarification when it comes to my username. A point to indicate that even though I am vulpes vulpes - the common Red Fox - my coloration isn't atypical to the species. It also served as a means of giving me a username of more then one word, which I can't really remember why that was so important to me when I first signed up.

So the final three words of my username can be completely omitted, which leaves us with a singular word of importance - Cirocco. Now Cirocco is an alternate spelling of an entirely different word, that one being Sirocco(which can be spelled as Scirocco as well) So why then did I pick Cirocco? I preferred the alternate spelling without the "s" but wished to maintain the phonetic sound of the root word.

I chose the spelling off personal preference, though picking the word itself was done only after careful deliberation. You see a Sirocco is a strong desert wind that carries with it the sand of the Sahara with it for miles. So I am named after a hot, dusty, wind in the desert. I chose such because it seemed an all to fitting monicker for me - I am of the desert, born and bred. It is here I have been raised, and here I will probably die.

Also like the wind I am a wanderer, never truly knowing what home is. I know the definition of the word, I just don't really know what it means. I have felt the presence of being at home very few times in my life, and for one reason or another I am taken from, or must leave, all the places I have ever felt at home. I am more at home now wandering the desert at night, chasing after distant shadows or stalking the railroad tracks then I am in this domicile I write this from. So as the wind is at home sweeping across my beloved desert, so am I at home wandering its lonely roads and distant hills.

The wind is also representative of spirit and freedom. Both of which are things I value highly, no matter my own individual struggles. And I believe, much like the wind, my spirit will never truly die. Surely I shall shed my mortal husk and my body returned to dust, but my spirit shall live on in the whispering wind that dances across my desert home. So yes, now that I am back in the desert I am more at peace, more ready to die and join the wind.

So I am the one called Cirocco, for my body is the dust given form and my spirit the wind I shall chase for eternity. I have no dreams of catching it, not in this life - death my eternal peace shall in a sense reunite me wholly with the winds I long for, and perhaps settle down my wandering heart and give me a true home.

So there you have it the name I have chosen for myself - it represents myself in metaphor, location, and even in the sense of life and death.
I chase the wind, but have no dreams of catching it.

Today is all we have - Personal Mantra

Offline The Wise one

• Bro
  • Male
« Reply #630 on: August 16, 2012, 09:19:44 pm »
Well. Long story short. I ended a lot of arguements by just pointing out both sides of the arguements and what they had in common. Therefore they had something to agree on. It is a bit of a process to end the arguement between two friends the way I do it, but it works. People called me Wise from then on and came to me for any problems they might have.
Check out my Deviantart if you wanna http://kimberlinphotography.deviantart.com/

Offline Squeaks

• Species: German Shepherd/Border Collie
  • Female
« Reply #631 on: August 17, 2012, 12:15:34 pm »
I am still figuring out what my name should be. Last night when I was laying down, I just couldn't sleep. I was in a deep thought, of whether my name should be Ikoya. I was thinking of a character I had created in an MMO with my and my fiance's name kinda of blended in. I was thinking of changing it around and came up with Arisa.

Another of thought that dawned on me, maybe Arisa can be my fursona name because it sound more original to me and something I had kinda came up with on a sleepless night. (Squeaks is just a nickname I got from my fiance when I had hiccup, while assisting him with the dishes.)

Offline Bluefruityloop

• I love my wolfes!
  • Male
« Reply #632 on: August 20, 2012, 11:41:18 am »
I had a girlfriend who I loved to death :-[ and she would always call me a fruit loop because i was extremely quirky and my favorite color is blue so I added it to the name and made it Bluefruityloop!  :D
Live long and prosper my friends.
Woof *pant*
Check out my DA drawings I'm told i'm good? So see for your self and tell me the truth. DA name is Bluefruityloop.

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Main: Raptor dinosaur (Iara) Alt: Jaguar/Smilodon (Moongaze)
  • Furtopia's Dinosaur-in-Residence
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #633 on: September 01, 2012, 08:50:57 pm »
Iara is a name I searched online for while looking for names of mythological creatures one night...an Iara is a temptress that takes the shape of a river dolphin and lures men away, often leaving them to drown if her true form is discovered...since the name originates from South American folklore, and since that is originally where Iara was from, I thought it was appropriate...as in my original story, avians like Iara did steal men away and kill them in the depths of the untouched rainforests.

Warriorfeather is a name I made up myself, on account of the fact that Iara's path in life is that of a warrior, and she is covered in feathers.  (:
Furry Code:
FDC5adw/FP3adsw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h+++ iwf++ j p*

My twitter feed (art and such)
My dA page

Offline Ruari

• In yo house flippin' yo tables
  • Male
« Reply #634 on: September 02, 2012, 08:56:01 am »
Well I was looking up irish names a few months ago (I can't remember why though maybe for school) anyways one of the names i saw was Ruari and i really liked the name so that's what i named my fursona. I would have gave him one of my nicknames but having a fursona named longbottom maybe a little strange :D. I guess i could have gave him my other nickname donovan,

Offline Antonius Weezel

• Male
« Reply #635 on: September 02, 2012, 12:20:10 pm »
Most of my previous names i took from this (http://draconic.twilightrealm.com/) for the first part, and a google translate to latin for the second. (none of them were dragons BTW  :D)

This most recent one though, i have no idea where i got Antonius from, just thought it sounded cool. The weezel is obviously just a spelling variation on weasle, the ferret's slightly bigger brostelid.

Offline Thornbrier

• World Builder
« Reply #636 on: September 08, 2012, 05:43:09 am »
A long time ago, on a server far, far away, I started up my second character for a forum based text RPG. The company had changed servers and lost my original character, but still had my name reserved so I couldn't simply remake Minar Draconos (derived from my old Battle.net name, MinionR [in turn derived from the big badguy of some old Twisted Metal game]).

A girl I was interested in was going into Thaumaturgy (white magic in that world) and I saw an interesting spell on the list. Summon Pixies.

I decided I would go to the Thaumaturgy school, and I would become a Pixie Paladin. Once I was dating her she would learn a variant on the spell to summon ME.  While the relationship never went that way the pixie character needed a sufficiently tough name that was nature based. Sadly, his career ended with him getting a job working for a giantess at a blacksmith shop.

Remembering stories of a rabbit who hid in a brier patch for safety I came up with the name Thorn Brier. As a shadow of its true origins my fursona was named Chakat ThornBrier because as a kitten shi chased a rabbit into a brier patch and got scratched up. During an interview later that day (or the day after?) shi said from hir adoptive mother's mechanical lap "Thown bwier huht, why bunny no come aut an pway?" After that, the name stuck.

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #637 on: October 27, 2012, 10:27:09 pm »
my nick name people srarted calling me charcoal  because of my grilling habit instead of calling of nicholas
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 07:58:28 pm by charcoal »
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline Earth Rio

• Female
« Reply #638 on: October 28, 2012, 03:16:27 pm »
I can't remember where the 'Earth' part came from, but the 'Rio' part originated from my favourite Spanish word. I had a personal daydream: Earth, then a neko, was the leader of Riverclan, so I kept the name Earth Rio.

On the other hand, my second fursona's name, Malevus Redstripe, came from the word 'Malevolent'. His last name comes from- obviously- his red stripes.

Offline Dj sky jr

• Male
« Reply #639 on: October 28, 2012, 10:13:47 pm »
i havent picked a nime yet but i need some help,can you help me. :(

Offline Drake Fireborne

• Male
« Reply #640 on: November 01, 2012, 07:36:48 pm »
I suppose I'll have to start at the beginning, seeing as my fursona is something that I sorta built up to... When I was a kid, me and a group of friends had a fantasy in the which we were all "Mutants" and had power over some element.. mine was fire... That sorta died as time went on, though part of me was always a mutant :p

Later at some church activity, with my close friend, we had name tags, and decided to come up with our own names for the activity. I chose drake, being the coolest name I could think of... Towards the end of the activity, we decided to get last names, and, unable to think of anything less corny, we stuck Fireborne onto me...

Well, Drake Fireborne sorta became my internet persona... my name for characters in games, and youtube video's and things of that nature... i ended up making a D&D character that combined my "mutant" and the name drake, and of course, seeing as his name was drake, made him a half dragon...

I loved the character, and he's been my go to D&D build since then... so when I discovered the fandom, Drake was instantly my fursona... It all fit so perfectly :)
Don't mess in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with chocolate. - source unknown

Offline werecat2012

• Male
« Reply #641 on: November 09, 2012, 12:24:22 am »
I have always had a strong connection with cats. I'm also interested in therian as well as furry. I couldn't think of a really witty or funny name at the time... had some kind of creative mental block or something. So the best I could come up with is what I have now.

It turns out that years ago, someone with a similar name posted here at Furtopia. So if that person ever comes back, since they had the name first, I'll ask to get my name changed.

Offline Daxenobis

• Male
« Reply #642 on: December 01, 2012, 03:41:06 am »
Daxenobis came from three things.

Dax- Daxter, from Jak and Daxter this is to represent my interest in furries via video games.
Xeno- greek for strange. Character is part Greek, and he is a strange to people so it fit :p
Bis- comes from Anubis, character was born in Egypt and Anubis is the god of the afterlife, mummification. My character is part Jackal (though it isn't prominent in his looks that much), and he was a morticianist at some point in his life, so I felt it fit.

Offline Hashira

• Species: \_(ツ)_/
  • they/their, she/her
« Reply #643 on: December 02, 2012, 06:42:00 pm »
Updaaaate!!!

Carter was the name of my favorite spartan from Halo: Reach. I admired his leadership and personality in general. Tough, very focused, excellent leader who can keep it together, and I'm trying to be like that x3

My fursona's new last name: Lasky, came from Halo 4/Forward Unto Dawn. He was another character I admired the traits of. Again, great leader, funny, smart, trusting, and brave.

So yeah >.> I'm a Halo nerd x3
Come find me! More to come!

Offline Jake

• aka Aurora
  • Male
« Reply #644 on: December 02, 2012, 07:02:56 pm »
My name is Aurora Fatalis which basically means 'fatal aurora'.
I chose the Aurora part because the northern/southern lights have always intrigued me and I like the colors.
I chose the Fatalis part because the idea of a huge solar flare seems to always be lurking in the back of my mind.

i havent picked a nime yet but i need some help,can you help me. :(
Well here is an idea.
Think of a personality trait you have or something you enjoy. Then translate it into another language.
I know a few furs who've done this and come up with their name.

Offline Saiyu

• Species: SkunKitty
  • OMG there's text here!
  • Female
    • Saiyu's commissions
« Reply #645 on: December 02, 2012, 11:03:37 pm »
:o Err, I love this Anime called, "Saiyuki". It was one of those anime that I REALLY got attached to pretty quickly xD within like the first episode even when I was younger. Sooooo...I just basically dropped the "ki" outta that and got my name =p! Saiyu. Odd, but it stuck now.

I just came up with "Suzaika" when I finished my Cheetah fursona...

And now the same happen again with I re-made that one fursona I drew ;o that looked like a dewd and didn't have a name. Made it into a female and then BOOM I get a name. "Nizuri" haha so yeah. Even though when I say her name, I'm reminded of the word, 'misery'...for some odd reason o-<;

Would you like to stalk my DeviantArt
Or YouTube xD?

Offline Nyeti

• the "frigglebiscuit" approves!
  • Male
« Reply #646 on: December 02, 2012, 11:47:50 pm »
i think the reason it reminds you of misery,is because if you say her name in a slang-ish way,it sounds like misery :o

my fursonas name: Nyeti Usiku,means "sensetive night" in swahili

i named him that because i am a very sensetive person,and i looove the night :D
i really have a crazy thing for orange juice...and apples o.o

Offline Madam Glitch

• Species: Dragon
  • The Madam of the Glitches
  • Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #647 on: December 06, 2012, 07:22:36 pm »
My fursona's name came around by combining two of my favorite names. When I first created my fursona, I named her Skye Elle. I've always like the name Skye, so I decided that I would have this as my fursona's first name. Elle the character of the same name ("Elle") came from the character from Silent Hill Homecoming. However, I found out that there was someone named Skye Elle, so I decided to change the last name. So I went to a website that generated names for fantasy characters and found the name "Viwen". The name sounded interesting, so I decided to use it.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"
--Mewtwo

Offline Alden the Fox

• Species: White Fox
  • Feldwebel
  • Male
« Reply #648 on: December 07, 2012, 11:38:56 pm »
easy- I am my fursona/ my fursona is me. therefore, we both have the same name. except my fursona doesn't have the same last name...
A gay fox who also reenacts WWII Germany. :P

Offline Dj sky jr

• Male
« Reply #649 on: December 08, 2012, 11:56:41 am »
i decided my name now it's sky. because my fursona has a lovely sky blue fur. water blue eye's.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:58:43 am by myfastcars »