Author Topic: how did you choose your furry name  (Read 110991 times)

Offline TygerDarkstorm

Re: how did you choose your furry name
« Reply #675 on: June 22, 2013, 06:09:31 pm »
Tyger Darkstorm was something I came up with during my teenage years for the red dragon version of myself that I had built up in my head. I'm not really sure why I named her Tyger; I want to say it had something to do with tigers becoming my favorite animal over wolves as I grew older and I had a derpy little character named Tiger Goddess in City of Heroes so it may have just transferred over. Eventually as I grew away from needing Tyger as a sona and guardian, I began to use her name as a way to represent myself online.

Kona is the name of my current fursona (no last name as of yet). It wasn't anything that I came upon in any special manner. After discovering the furry fandom I spent a few days contemplating how I wanted to represent myself now (as I've done a lot of changing over the years) and after deciding I wanted a tigress to represent me, the name Kona just sort of popped into my head and it's stuck as I work on her design. :3

Offline Xephe Wolf

• Species: Main: Red panda, but sadly I cant change the name of my account to what I want.
  • Always somewhere in the world...
  • Male
« Reply #676 on: June 24, 2013, 03:21:45 am »
I was a fan of the 'warrior cats' series by Erin Hunter and so obviously I had an OC called Scarlegs (My screen name).
I then decided to shorten her name to Scar (From a little inspiration from Snookumsgal on DeviantArt)
She then became my fursona, with her very own name! (Didn't even have to think of her name  8) )
Her last name (Katt) just came later and stuck!
Yeh, nothing too special.

oh my gosh!i read that series!oh anyways...um i got mine from just making up roleplaying character names when my brother was talking about blue xephoes on youtube and it got stuck in my head.i then shortened it to Xephe (took off the o and s.) the name stuck and yeah.
People say chuck norris is strong and the best.I don't think so. If he were so strong, then he would
bash my face into the keyboa 6098[]\[]\;[;[[]p0653tipogfcjkt4987348uij!@#$%^*&&&&&&(

Offline measlehound

• Female
« Reply #677 on: June 24, 2013, 11:35:04 am »
i have had a few sonas before (names like diagram spare socks) well anywhom when i made critter i turned to a nickname. (my parents legitimatly call me critter) and that, although not creative stuck.

Offline Sergalicious

• Species: northern sergal
  • I need some snuggs pretty bad now...
  • Male
« Reply #678 on: June 24, 2013, 03:47:29 pm »
mine's kore taken from my username of almost everything; kor'vre or when i cant have the comma korvre. which is from the tau empire of the wh40k lore. in the codex it shows the ranking system and he alphabet and i thought it sounds realy cool. its a rank and it translates into; air-hero. in the military, fire is the ground marines (army). mainstay of the force. air is air force (navy), water is government because it helps things flow and earth is civilian because the support the system. and hero is the rank and it is a high ranked general. so it is actually like navy- general and kore is much simpler to say and remember so i used it. so his name is basically a modified version of the word air or navy. my fursona name is navy!

here it is from the wiki if i;ve confused you; Tau Caste System

The Tau employ a caste-based social system that places the good of the many over the good of the few or the individual. In Tau society, every person is viewed as an essential part of the whole society. Social standing is judged primarily by a being's standing within a caste of the Tau, with 'La being the lowest (Shas'la: Fire Warrior, Fio'la: Earth Worker, Por'la: Water Bureaucrat) and 'O being the highest (Shas'O: Fire Commander, Fio'O: Earth Planner, Por'O: Water Ambassador). The castes are as follows:

Fire (Shas) -- The Fire Caste composes the bulk of the military of the Tau Empire, and as such are the Tau most often used in the game. They average as tall as or slightly shorter than an average human, and are generally muscular. This comes from the Fire Caste's origin on the plains of T'au, the Tau homeworld, where they survived as hunters and warriors. Tau from the world of Vior'la tend to have slightly greater muscle mass because of the increased gravity of Viorla.
Earth (Fio) -- The Earth Caste is composed not only of laborers and technicians, but also artisans, scientists and engineers. They are usually credited with the significant leaps in technology that the Tau Empire has enjoyed. The members of the Earth Caste form the foundations upon which the Tau Empire is built. The inhabitants of this caste are generally short and stout of build.

Water (Por) -- The Water Caste is primarily composed of Tau merchants and diplomats. They are tasked with seeking and maintaining diplomatic relations with the other species of the Tau Empire, as well as maintaining the ease of communication and cooperation between the other castes. The Water Caste are generally taller and slimmer than other Tau, and favor diplomatic training and social grace over confrontation or combat. They are more capable in communicating in the languages of other intelligent races than most other Tau. From the time when the Tau discovered the Imperium of Man, there are several accounts where Water Caste ambassadors were dispatched to Imperial worlds, and those worlds were turned over to the Greater Good without a fight to become new Tau Septs.

Air (Kor) -- The Air Caste of the Tau function not only as messengers, but also as the bulk of the Tau Navy. The Tau of the Air Caste are even taller and more slender than the Water Caste, with long, skinny appendages and hollow bones. These traits are attributed to their lives lived mostly in low to zero-gravity starships and space stations. This is exacerbated by Air Caste reluctance, if not outright refusal to land on planets, as their skeletons have atrophied to the point where injury and broken bones are commonplace when they spend time in a gravity well. In the past, before the time of the Mont'au, the Air Caste had membranes stretching between their limbs, which allowed them to glide on air currents. Tau pilots are recognized as superior to human pilots due to their better fighter craft, though they lack a normal Imperial pilot's level of combat experience.

Ethereal (Aun) -- The Ethereals are the political and religious leaders of the Tau. They resemble the Fire and Water Castes physically, but are marked by a diamond-shaped ridge of raised bone in the center of their foreheads. Their origins are unknown, and most Tau will never refuse a request by an Ethereal. They are sometimes also found on the battlefield, but whether as leaders or observers remains to be seen. The leader of the Ethereal Caste is a Tau named Aun'va, who is the Master of the Undying Spirit and the leader or Aun'o of the Tau Empire.
I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts...
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline Umbreon K

• Male
« Reply #679 on: June 29, 2013, 10:06:14 pm »

First I tried to figure out which cultural name set I wanted to look in and then I went through and read every name for that culture listed on babynames.com. After many hours I finally stumbled across the Japanese name Kazutaka.
 The meaning of the name Kazutaka is Peace, Harmony, Calm, Precious, Valuable

This tended to not only fit my understanding of my fursona but automatically had a ring to it that made it feel right.

Offline Sergalicious

• Species: northern sergal
  • I need some snuggs pretty bad now...
  • Male
« Reply #680 on: June 30, 2013, 12:45:07 am »

First I tried to figure out which cultural name set I wanted to look in and then I went through and read every name for that culture listed on babynames.com. After many hours I finally stumbled across the Japanese name Kazutaka.
 The meaning of the name Kazutaka is Peace, Harmony, Calm, Precious, Valuable

This tended to not only fit my understanding of my fursona but automatically had a ring to it that made it feel right.

Japanese? I'm Japanese (irl ) I'm kentaro (real not fursona) I'm also Swedish. i forgot what it means though. i think its " strong and healthy boy" but that conflicts with me because I'm an avid gamer and not strong. at all and I'm fat. (don't say I'm not, i am and i accept it) so much so that its one of my many nicknames; Le fat Asian. also i have quintaco (don't even know) ken, taro, taroken, Swedish fish (tasty), windragon (based on Mai last name) ashan, math buddy (for a short time), kento, kenchan, real ashan (because my other Asian Friend is Philippine and we joked that doesn't count as Asian), and the anti-Japanese (because i can not stand top ramen ( i have to leave the room that it is in if there is some), and because i love dolphins (Mai fav animal ever :) ) and that is not the stereotypical Japanese person, also I'm large for an Asian (because I'm also Swedish)) so yea, is that a strange mix; Swedish and Japanese?  I DONT KNOW ANYMORE i have too many names. also hi
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 01:02:17 am by korvre »
I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts...
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline Madam Glitch

• Species: Dragon
  • The Madam of the Glitches
  • Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #681 on: July 13, 2013, 07:10:03 pm »
At first, my fursona's name was Skye. I came up with it because I wanted an original looking name, so I picked Skye. Well, I realized that there was another furry that went by skye, so I changed my fursona's name to Amelia because I really like the name and it sounds different that other names. Plus I was looking through a name list and it caught my eye. So that helped too.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"
--Mewtwo

Offline EmmaCornell

• Time to bake cupcakes!
  • Female
« Reply #682 on: August 11, 2013, 08:40:59 pm »
My main fursona, Emma Cornell, got her name through a joke. I was part of a DND group at my school and we all wanted to do a pirate theme. We found a game online that would create a pirate name based off of a personality quiz. Some how Emma Cornell was my result and I just stuck with it (:

Furry Code:
FCW3acdrs A- C- D+++ H+++ P++ R T++ W Z- Sf RLMH a- c++ d+ e- f++ h* i+ j+ p sf
To decode for you -> http://mj.ucw.cz/furry/ :)

Offline Furenzied

• Species: Husky/Border Collie
  • kitty ♥ :3
  • Male
« Reply #683 on: August 12, 2013, 02:05:42 am »
Well...the name Lunar Edge came from my obsession from the moon. Mostly its when it's in its full or waning crescent state. In both rhe light around it makes the edges shine so I just put them tovether...
Mate of WereCat

Offline Kastra Epsilon

• Possibly maybe hazardous.
  • Female
« Reply #684 on: August 18, 2013, 09:13:48 pm »
Well, a bit ago, before I even made my fursona, I was looking for a pretty, somewhat short, and unused name for a critter in a certain adoptables site I played (and still do). After some failed attempts, I decided to look through a list of stars with 'traditional' names, and came across this beauty:
http://www.astrostudio.org/xhip.php?hip=106723
The name wasn't taken, and I used it. In a while, I've taken quite a liking for it, and while making my 'sona It was my favorite choice. I guess that makes me uncreative, but I like it. *stubbornly holds onto name*
...and yeah, that's pretty much it.
You may also ask why I made her last name 'Epsilon' instead of 'Capricornus'. For that case, Kastra will promptly say that she likes it better, and it's still relevant to her.  :P

Offline Acheron187

• Hooves rock!
  • Male
    • MLP Arena
« Reply #685 on: August 27, 2013, 11:41:43 pm »
I actually got my fursona name from my main internet alias ,Acheron187; that name I developed about 7 yrs ago. I was was starting a Runescape profile as a lot of my friends played it and I couldn't find a single idea I liked, all the names I chose were taken and what not so my mom came up with the name Acheron(Based on the Greek mythos)187(Police code for murder). I just stuck with it as I loved the name, and when I found my fursona the name came with it. I was a huge Greek nerd and I thought why not!

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Sciex is not a disney wolf
  • Male
« Reply #686 on: August 28, 2013, 02:22:23 am »
youtube video saw the name Zef liked the name but i liked it more as Zeff so thats what i named my fursona. if i ever were to become a furry in really life ild most likely change my name to Zeff.

Offline WhiteAkitaKeiko

• Species: hug loving American Akita
  • I will find you, and I will hug you
  • Female
    • My FA
« Reply #687 on: August 28, 2013, 09:18:14 am »
Well, My fursona name came from my American Akita , Keiko. We had to sell her, because the money were tight.
So its a memorial name. Then I changed the name changed a little bit to Keito. :'(
So my fursona name is Keito Isit. Where this come from? It was just a misspelling of is it  (:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:58:53 pm by WhiteAkitaKeiko »
Icon by myself

Choose wisely who you hate and hunt.
Because the shot you've used..might've been fatal

Offline Amarok

• Male
    • Brandless
« Reply #688 on: September 08, 2013, 02:40:19 pm »
I picked this name a long time ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarok_(wolf)

:goldlaugh:

Offline Wereaibo

• Species: Nightmarish animatronic animal
  • Straight from the Uncanny Valley
  • Male
« Reply #689 on: September 08, 2013, 03:58:28 pm »
I used to use the name Dog for everything. If I got the high score on an arcade game I'd punch in DOG as my initials. When a video game required me to name my hero it was always Dog ( or variations like War Dog, Dog Lord or Weredog. But I'd use things like that only rarely. I preferred the simple name Dog as I do now ). My Furtopia name is just me continuing the tradition.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:19:11 pm by dog717 »
You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.

Offline Wrangell

• Male
« Reply #690 on: September 09, 2013, 06:09:33 am »
The creation of my name is interesting. When I finally decided I was a husky (Alaskan Malamute to be exact) I felt deep inside that I should pick a name that was close to my home in the state of Alaska. I went over many different towns in my head then Wrangell popped up. I thought it was a great fit for my fursona so it stuck X)
Keep Smiling

Offline Kodoku

• Species: Korean Jindo
  • Dog treats!?
  • Male
« Reply #691 on: September 27, 2013, 11:31:06 pm »
Duke was part of a nickname of mine for some time. For whatever reason I was called Duke of work, and well it eventually got shortened to Duke. It's stuck so long and it just feels right.

Offline crocogator78

• Male
« Reply #692 on: September 29, 2013, 01:47:22 pm »
At first I was going to use my middle name, but I decided it was kind of embarrassing, so I used my last name.(Martin)

Offline Scupper

• Species: Fox dog thingy.
  • Male
« Reply #693 on: October 02, 2013, 12:13:08 am »
I have two charecters both related to suits I have.

The first is Scupper. My official job title is "Electrician +" but I spend most of my time at work fabricating oddball stuff that can not be found  in the McMaster Carr catalogue. So needless to say I spend most of my time at work in front of a lathe or mill and the rest behind a welding hood.
Because of my skill set I somehow (still not sure to this day) got roped into helping out friends that own tugboats. One day shortly after commissioning my first fursuit  I was repairing an area called a gunwale {pronounced gunal} which is basically just a solid wall with support flanges and a cap on top.. In order for the water to drain off the deck there needs to be holes cut along the bottom of the gunal, these are called scuppers. After a day of saying the word scupper I guess I decided I liked the the sound of the word. Thus "Scupper da Fox"

My second is Wrenches. I think my job may explain that. Buy the name mostly comes from the wrench shaped SnapOn tag I wear on my collar.

~Scupper
You know these people. They go to sleep, they think everything’s fine, everything’s good.... Then they wake up and they're on fire.

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #694 on: October 20, 2013, 02:12:17 am »
I hate my new nickname (grease ball pit due to me working on bmx bikes almost everyday )i love centrle square
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline Blackrose13

• Species: Fox/wolf/corgi/other canine
  • The furry little freak
  • Male
« Reply #695 on: October 22, 2013, 08:42:31 pm »
Well, i choose 13 because its my favorite and lucky number, black because i like the color, and as for the rose part, well, they are my favorite flower, and....

"Snuzzles!"
Profile pic by Saiyu
pm me if you want me to make something into D&D homebrew for you (sources will be credited of course)
Official Game master status! :D
"As long as theres music, ill keep on dancing!"

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #696 on: February 17, 2014, 08:22:44 pm »
Trenyth is simply a character of mine.  He started out as a replacement for Ethmaar, a character who... well, he just sucked in general.  Turns out that Trenyth didn't fit the bill, so he faded into the background, only to be dug up nearly half a year later.  Seeing that Dewgar, another character who had been forgotten, had no real place, i paired the two up.  Then i made some backstory for them, in which their story got mixed up with Rasgur and Ragnus, a brother/sister duo of goblins.  Since then... well, to be honest, all four of them are caked in dust...

Elsewhere in life, my go-to nickname is Hoblin, or occasionally, Hoblinito.  I would change my account name to this, but i feel that it would only further confuse people as of who i am.

Offline Wereaibo

• Species: Nightmarish animatronic animal
  • Straight from the Uncanny Valley
  • Male
« Reply #697 on: February 18, 2014, 05:30:24 pm »
It's kind of a combination of things  As a kid when a video game required you to put in a name I always used the name Dog. Later on when I first got online via WebTV in the 90s a username was required. Since I knew Dog would be taken I chose weredog. So I just combined the two into Dog The Weredog. I use the same name everywhere now. It has history.
You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.

Offline BassCreator

« Reply #698 on: May 24, 2014, 05:11:29 pm »
I just thought of letters that would work in a cool way together so..... Anon (Ari for short).

Offline Haidurr

• Female
« Reply #699 on: May 27, 2014, 03:21:18 pm »
I just wanted something cute and silly. It's really 'hi there' but derping  :D it's pronounced ha-ee-drr.