Author Topic: OOC RP discussion (Open for anyone to use)  (Read 17277 times)

Offline ColonelMustang

• Species: Dire-Wolf
  • The Two Fisted Protein Junkie
  • Male
Re: OOC RP discussion (Open for anyone to use)
« Reply #225 on: April 21, 2015, 02:10:25 pm »
I agree with both sides. I mean we have had a few of the regulars drop off or have other stuff happen the has....prevented them from getting on the forums. Then you have the people like myself who get really busy and have to put the forum on hold while we take care of life stuff, but there has been virtually no influx of new rp'ers. Don't get me wrong i love rp'ing with you guys, but it wouldn't be bad to have some new blood to stir up the pot.
Sarzon! <-- inside joke

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #226 on: April 21, 2015, 02:12:07 pm »
I'd worry less about having huge numbers of RPs or RPers and more about making the ones that we have of high quality.

Avatar by Shibara,  sig by Miser

0.1.0 carrot tail leopard gecko, Gelbstoff
0.1.0 bearded dragon, Dany
0.0.1 amel stripe het hypo corn snake, Vivec

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline T-Yoshi45

• 80% Raccoon, 20% Wolf, 100% Awesome!
  • Male
« Reply #227 on: April 21, 2015, 02:49:12 pm »
I know Hazard i know, i feel the same way. I just haven't had that many ideas lately and the ones i do have are taking a while to develop.

Profile pic by Sandy Schreiber, her work's awesome!

Offline Sledge

• Species: Fyr Cat
  • Peace through superior firepower.
  • Male
« Reply #228 on: April 21, 2015, 02:59:51 pm »
I'd worry less about having huge numbers of RPs or RPers and more about making the ones that we have of high quality.

I couldn't agree more. Quality and duration has been steadily decreasing...
A wise man once said: "don't anger a man who can end you from another zip code."

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum. - If You Want Peace, Prepare For War.

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• My snark is worse than my bite
  • Male
« Reply #229 on: April 21, 2015, 07:40:46 pm »

I couldn't agree more. Quality and duration has been steadily decreasing...

I don't think we have, but the problem is we're running out of ideas. Most ideas are becoming a bit cliche. Apocalypse has been done, supernatural, magical universities, military based RP, space, superheroes hasn't been done to death YET, but a lot of genres are being reused a lot.

things that have not been over used YET

Slice of life
Superheroes
medieval
continue the list?
how many neon pink and black rabbits does it take to screw up a lightbulb factory?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #230 on: April 21, 2015, 08:15:53 pm »

I third this. RP's should not be about quantity or how many players you can get. RP's are about quality. Granted, I don't play any RP's. I sometimes watch what is posted and played and it seems to be the "same old, same old" kinds of stuff.  :P  :P  :P  None of the RP's ever get "finished" or reach a goal/conclusion to the story. And most of what I've seen over the last 2-3 years is probably 70% or more of combat, violence, guns, fighting, and space. Maybe it's time to take a long break from RP'ing and start brainstorming new stories and genres to use?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:45:17 pm by Kobuk »
Click link below for more fursuit information. ;)
http://forums.furtopia.org/kobuk's-fursuit-guides/

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #231 on: April 21, 2015, 08:39:37 pm »
Want a few ideas? Here's a few:

Maybe an rp dealing with archaeology? Something similar to Indiana Jones where the characters are hunting for treasure and lost relics and are being chased by bad guys.

Maybe something similar to TRON? Where the characters either digitize themselves and get transported into a computer system or they are digitized against their will, and they have to find a way to get back to the real world.

Base an rp around a real historical event? I thought about doing an rp based on the 1880's/1890's Yukon Gold Rush, but changed my mind long ago.  :P There is so much real life historical events you could use. Centuries worth.

What about an undersea adventure? An rp completely underwater with different aquatic species/characters?

Offline T-Yoshi45

• Male
« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2015, 09:13:23 pm »
Interestingly enough, i do have a archeology/cave-diving idea on the back burner but i also got my other projects to tend to.

Some would be...

Fading Hope Season 1 re-re-launch
Kings and Queens (But that one's closed so that's kind of a wash i guess)
a currently unnamed mansion exploration RP (Kinda like old school resident evil horror)
I also had the idea of doing something kinda like XCOM
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:24:29 pm by T-Yoshi45 »

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #233 on: April 21, 2015, 09:47:52 pm »
Fading Hope Season 1 re-re-launch

Again?  :P *sigh* 

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #234 on: April 29, 2015, 01:13:20 am »
I know Hazard i know, i feel the same way. I just haven't had that many ideas lately and the ones i do have are taking a while to develop.
For the love of Solis, MY NAME IS TREN!! :P

Ahem...

As for my angle on this...  I'm going to be staying on the Kings and Queens bandwagon, or course, but other than that, i won't be participating in any new RPs for awhile.  Going to (re-)try my hand at writing a story (again), because my previous attempts have not only felt like they had potential, but the pride and satisfaction from working alone and producing something worth sharing is quite rewarding.

And also, if you guys want a new theme to work with, how about something western-ish?  I mean, Furry Saddles was about as polished as a brick, but 70+ pages of willful participation doesn't happen without reason.  Just a thought.

-Trenyth

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• Male
« Reply #235 on: April 29, 2015, 01:27:01 am »
I had an idea for an RP involving the START of an apocalypse

but you'd be normal citizens trying to survive the rioting, chaos, looting, and collapse of society

No military backgrounds, no superpowers, no futuristic armor suits, no magic

But I really don't like running RP's so if anyone wants to steal my RP and run with it, feel free
how many neon pink and black rabbits does it take to screw up a lightbulb factory?

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #236 on: May 24, 2015, 07:25:46 pm »
I have been a member of Furtopia for two years now (well, actually, that happened two days ago, i just wasn't online at the time.)

I'd think that i should feel i'm a part of this fandom by now.  Can't really place why i don't.

And no, i'm not leaving/quitting.  That would take effort.  :P

-Trenyth

Offline The Wise one

• Bro
  • Male
« Reply #237 on: May 26, 2015, 10:27:36 pm »
Came up with an idea. Very basic, but I have an rp idea where basically our party controls "elements" kinda. For example. My character controls darkness (but does have a hard time doing that.)
Check out my Deviantart if you wanna http://kimberlinphotography.deviantart.com/

Offline T-Yoshi45

• Male
« Reply #238 on: June 15, 2015, 11:03:04 pm »
You know i'm down with that idea Wise. When you do it i'll for sure jump on.

As for me, i have a good idea in on the burner. I was thinking an Arabian Nights theme where we're rival princes and princesses competing to me grand sultan with the aid of a genie.

Offline Amducious

• Species: The feral Sergal
  • Still breathing
  • Male
« Reply #239 on: June 23, 2015, 02:27:23 am »
I was thinking of idea of having characters being part of a elite CDC response team.  Or they can choose to be part of a rebel group,that fights against them to get the vaccination for themselves. It would take place in the hardest hit city in a worldwide pandemic of an unknown virus. They fight, try to research and try to make a vaccination or the future of humanity is destroyed. Just and idea.
Profile art by https://www.furaffinity.net/user/whiteakitakiba

Life is a meaningless void we fill with time and memories.

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline photalysis

• Species: SynthServal
  • LIAR
  • Male
« Reply #240 on: July 11, 2015, 12:20:16 am »
Hello, hello! I'm new here but I've introduced myself to some of you already. Loc told me you were looking for new RPers. Pleased to meet you all!
I'm interested in an RP and have a little bit of experience in them! I can help with ideas, if you like. :)

I sense a post-apocalyptic trend in the ideas being suggested. Jacoby's take on it sounds interesting, few postapoc settings take place during the fall, that's usually relegated to backstory. Normal citizens trying to piece together what's happening and making judgment calls with very little information to start out with is a novel prospect.

Perhaps simply determining the nature of the threat is part of the goal. A new virus has many unknowns. An alien invasion is usually headed by alien aggressors, with alien motivations and psychologies.

Here's a few attempts of mine at brainstorming.

Spoiler: Urban Survival with Factions • show
In a scenario like Jacoby proposes, the players could start out on a level playing field with the rest of the world (excepting militaries and gangs) and would have to earn status and followers. They could decide what kind of survivors they want to be. Hostile or helpful? Expansive or isolationist? If the goal is to create a player-made faction, then the players would have to decide on how it is governed, what laws are enforced within their territory, diplomatically engage other factions, manage resources, and so forth. Differences in philosophy by the founding members could lead to rich political conflicts.

Spoiler: Alien Invasion, with a twist • show
An forward fleet of sub-sapient terraforming automatons land upon Earth (?) to prepare it for colonization, but their makers did not anticipate the existence of sapient carbon-based life. The automatons regard the players (and all else) as dangerous wildlife and kill on sight, all the while slowly rendering Earth uninhabitable in the process of making it more fit for its origin species. It's an invasion, and an eco-disaster. The players are all members of an X-COM like organization dedicated to better understanding the threat.

There would be multiple victory conditions:

* Destroy the automated ISRU factory
* Hold them off long enough for the colonizing aliens to arrive and realize their error
* Reverse engineer the automatons to gain knowledge of their designer's communication protocols and attempt to show the aliens the destruction they've caused. Players will have to discover how to encode video footage in an alien file format and send it to them, communicating in pantomime... Assuming the aliens see in visible light!
* Flee Earth entirely?

Spoiler: Space Opera • show
Furries... In Space!! It'd be fun to roleplay as a ship crew. Maybe a crew of pirates raising a ruckus, or a research vessel boldly going where it may. Perhaps even simple colonists trying to survive on an alien world.

---

To summarize the ideas I'm aware of: Plague, Fantasy, Average Joepocalype, Faction Politics, Spelunking/Archaeology, Cyberpunk, Undersea, Alien Invasion/X-COM, Space Opera
a.k.a. Tuvoi ->◊<-

Offline Amducious

• Still breathing
  • Male
« Reply #241 on: July 11, 2015, 10:31:13 am »
I really like the idea of the urban survival with factions. Though I think my character would be lone with no faction to join and would stay on his own. I like the other ideas but the urban one I really like.

Offline photalysis

• LIAR
  • Male
« Reply #242 on: July 12, 2015, 01:37:18 pm »
It's my favorite, too. Seems like it would lead to rich character interactions, and probably wouldn't be too hard to pull off!
a.k.a. Tuvoi ->◊<-

Offline Amducious

• Still breathing
  • Male
« Reply #243 on: July 18, 2015, 10:18:22 pm »
I say go for it! If you feel like you want to start it up and become a GM, do it. I think that idea sounds good too with lots of interaction to keep things alive.

Offline photalysis

• LIAR
  • Male
« Reply #244 on: July 19, 2015, 01:14:20 am »
I have no experience in running RPs so I'm ambivalent about attempting it. Besides, I have a different setting I should finish first that I've been seriously neglecting. I was thinking about presenting a setting document to a more experienced GM, and letting them build a campaign around that as a kind of collaboration. I can't write a good narrative for the life of me, so I reason that the actual events players are involved in are best left in other hands.

Can't make promises on whether it will see ever the light of day. Running an RP is more work than merely participating and I've been distracted as of late arranging to go back to school, practicing my spanish and starting out sketching things.

I'm on board if anyone else wants to take up the mantle, however! I'm unsure how much good that will do as it seems like we're wanting more for leadership than participants, but it must count for something.
a.k.a. Tuvoi ->◊<-

Offline Amducious

• Still breathing
  • Male
« Reply #245 on: July 19, 2015, 05:07:10 am »
Right, I don't feel like running a RP it can be to much work sometimes. It'll happen when it happens.

Offline T-Yoshi45

• Male
« Reply #246 on: July 29, 2015, 08:50:44 pm »
I was thinking while i'm working on Fading Hope and Kings and Queens among other projects...I'd start a murder mystery RP where our characters are house guests invited to play a game of mystery where their fates are determined by how well they can decipher the clues and piece together how each murder happened so opposed to using conventional weapons, your wits and cunning are your armaments and the things keeping you alive.

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #247 on: October 02, 2015, 12:54:48 am »
So tired of not doing anything.  Gotta do something.  Time spent idle is time wasted!

Expect me to throw out a new idea here some time in the future.  I'm looking at you two, Blades, Wise...

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• Male
« Reply #248 on: October 02, 2015, 09:55:28 am »
Well my computer screen is unreadable

I'll still be able to post, but any ideas of doing reboots of anything or doing something new well...

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2015, 07:57:07 pm »
So tired of not doing anything.  Gotta do something.  Time spent idle is time wasted!

Expect me to throw out a new idea here some time in the future.  I'm looking at you two, Blades, Wise...

Aaaaand now i got it.  Now all i need to do find a way to CONTACT you fools!