Author Topic: S4E1&2 "Princess Twilight Sparkle"  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
S4E1&2 "Princess Twilight Sparkle"
« on: November 26, 2013, 05:23:54 pm »
No thread yet?  I guess I'll start one.

First off, it was fun to have My Little Pony come back at the same time as the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special.  That made for a fun weekend.

My main thoughts on this two-parter are that it's always fun to have Discord back,  and I think it was smart for them to take away the elements of harmony.  The elements are really powerful, and we've already seen them used a lot.  This way, any big problems that come up have to be solved in a new way.

I'm also really curious about what looked like a Medusa-pony in the ad for the upcoming season.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Shim

• Male
Re: S4E1&2 "Princess Twilight Sparkle"
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 11:08:07 pm »
I'm also really curious about what looked like a Medusa-pony in the ad for the upcoming season.

I am..so excited about that.

Overall, I really liked it. It felt a bit like reading fanfiction, but I think that may be because after all this time, there has been SO much fan-fiction regarding the topics addressed, that it's a bit weird the show itself is finally..well, addressing it.

Offline Wrangell

• Male
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 01:27:53 am »
I was not sure what S4 would hold, but now I think that it will be a fun and adventurous season with many great episodes! 
Keep Smiling

Offline aspect

• Aspect of the Universe
  • Male
    • my furaffinity
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:18:58 am »
I liked it too. I wasn't so sure during the first episode, but episode two was pretty good and of course 1 was necessary set-up. I thought they addressed a lot of things well; Twilight actually had to think about what it meant to be a Princess (and there was conflict with friends over it); the timeline of the Discord and Nightmare Moon history got put in context; Twilight had to deal with having wings; and as Ryffnah said, the Elements of Harmony got taken away. And this was done in a pretty clever way, with Applejack initially asserting the Elements were what would always keep them together, and later having to give them up.

The writing for Discord was actually pretty clever too. When he sort of tricked Twilight to going back all I could think was 'aw what a good friend', yet he kept open the possibility he was being nefarious. It seems like Discord would be able to fix everything at any time, so his friendship with the ponies has to be a pretty complicated issue if things are to stay interesting.