Author Topic: Walmart selling furstuit heads????  (Read 14218 times)

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
Walmart selling furstuit heads????
« on: August 24, 2017, 12:07:00 pm »
Seen this online first. Then happened to be walking threw our wally and seen them in person.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sloth-Maskimal-Adorable-Large-Plush-Head-Mask-Accessory/630878243

Now i've heard both pros and cons about them. Even some furry Youtubers telling people not to buy them. Others saying it could be your first fursuit just for fun. My thoughts? They are very hard to breath in. Very cheaply made. But if you wanna rock one at a furcon or meet go for it. For $20+ you could have fun with it. They also have jumpsuit like house coat/PJs made up to look like animals this year as well. These could also be a blast to wear at a con or meet. I don't have a link for them. Finding anything at walmartdotcom is a joke.

I've never put one of these on. But did take a look inside. The head is like any other mascot head. Round and one size fits all. The eyes and neck are the only openings. There is no air flow for the mouth. Personally I don't plan on buying one of the heads. But almost came home with one of the house coat/PJ things. They're awesome.

I have to go exchange some shoes I bought last night. More than likely come home with
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
Re: Walmart selling furstuit heads????
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 03:19:39 pm »
I saw that! Maybe it will get more people interested in furry through these.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline BennyJackdaw

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 07:29:04 pm »
Isn't this still technically furry chat?

Still, I wonder if this is a sign we're becoming more accepted.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:24:07 pm »
Moved here because it probably fit better :)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 12:46:27 am »
Well. Looks like I fell asleep at the wheel. My post kinda went off into nothing.  :D  What i was going to say was I will probably come home with one of the house coat/PJs. But after looking at them again I didn't.

BennyJackdaw, that would be nice. But I think it's more along these lines. Most of the people I talk to about the fandom have no clue we exist. So I'm guessing this is more of a Halloween thing. But it would be nice to think our fandom is becoming more main stream.

Varg, I'd be disappointed if I didn't see a few of these bobbing around the next furcon I go to.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 02:08:04 pm »
IMO, looks cheap and probably won't last a year, much less two.  :P  It's fine for Halloween, but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one to a furcon.
Save your pennies, folks. If you want a real good quality fursuit head, get one from a REAL fursuit maker in the furry fandom. Not one of these cheap pieces of crap from a retail seller.  >:(

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 03:05:34 pm »
Not everyone wants an expensive suit, much less can afford one. The Walmart ones could be a good, fun starting place, especially for younger people who would just outgrow an expensive suit. Or those who want a more toony suit on a budget, or something that they don't have to be paranoid about getting dirty or damaged.

It's all a matter of taste. Not everyone likes the way the higher end fursuits look, just as not everyone likes the way the cheap ones look. Spend your money on what you want.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 11:15:21 pm »
Not my cup of tea personally--I would rather save up for a suit from a pro maker--but to each their own. I agree with Loc, if someone wants to start out with little money they could get a fursona head of some kind.
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 11:36:01 pm »
IMO, looks cheap and probably won't last a year, much less two.  :P  It's fine for Halloween, but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one to a furcon.
Save your pennies, folks. If you want a real good quality fursuit head, get one from a REAL fursuit maker in the furry fandom. Not one of these cheap pieces of crap from a retail seller.  >:(

That's a bit elitist isn't it? I think the fact that fursuits, which have had such a huge stigma for 15 years now (since CSI, let's say) now are being sold at walmart. That's progress. Odd, but good.

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 03:58:02 am »
Might be fun to doctor one up. Go from cheap and kinda creepy to nightmare fuel in ten stitches or less.  :D These cheesy round hollow things are nothing like the real thing. They are actually selling. Know of a few stores that are out of one or two of the choices.

Offline Fleeyock

• Species: Sheep
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 05:50:31 am »
I saw those today. I said...

"That's weird..."

I didn't get the impression they were for marketed for the furries, but for mainstream people who just want to have fun pretending to be animals.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 01:05:44 pm »
Sounds like they would be good for costume parties, and Halloween.
Especially for kids if they have small sizes.

Might even give a boost to general acceptance of the fandom.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 09:08:07 pm »
While looking at these maskamals I found a werewolf mask. Hopefully I'll have a scary werewolf costume!

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 08:47:53 pm »
I saw the heads in WM a few days ago. Definately ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL.  >:(  A person would need to put extra padding in the head to make it more comfortable and/or to fit properly otherwise the costume head will be very loose. They also look way overly big for kids to try wearing.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:15:43 pm by Kobuk »

Offline wereaibo1

• Species: Robotic Dog
  • Bite my shiny metal tail!
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 10:35:35 pm »
Seems more like this is a Halloween related thing than a Furry thing. Though when I saw them last time I was at Walmart looking for those new Fingerlings animatronic monkeys for my robot critter collection I was tempted to look for a dog or wolf one even though I never had much interest in fursuiting.
Meddle not in the affairs of robot dogs for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source.

Offline Movian

• Species: Dragon
  • Male
    • Movian's site
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 09:25:53 am »
I actually saw these and got one on Saturday.

am hoping I can use it as a base and so I can figure out how it's constructed for making a better version :)

for $20 I figured it was inexpensive enough I could do anything with it (even if its just taking it appart)

I can provide pictures if anyone would like.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 11:07:45 pm »
Saw the gaylord/cardboard bin of these over-the-head masks at several area Walmarts. The unicorns went first, you cannot find them anymore. Although I saw one in the customer service area today while in the return lane. No canine types, which is disappointing. My sampling turned up bear, panda, cat, panther, shark, tiger, raccoon, and bunny.

I have seen children, teens, and adults wearing these around various stores. So I you buy one, it is recommended that it be sprayed out with a good disinfectant before you wear it. If I had to choose one now, the tiger would get my $20. IMHO it has nice color and the eyes are rather pretty.
As stated elsewhere in this thread, some of these maskimals could be combined with a pajama suit from the same store to make up a complete costume. Not a professional grade fursuit perhaps, but a start for a budding fursuiter.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 06:47:09 pm »
Went in a store after work today and found two new characters added to the pile--T-Rex and Monkey. The wearer of the T-Rex peers out of dark mesh in the open mouth. Still no canine characters.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 02:49:38 am »
I've seen them pop up in some furcon videos. Awesome. It's great to know there are fellow furs with a good sense of humor.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 10:17:52 pm »
These could double as cat beds. It's bound to happen. When these end up on clearance for five bucks, then maybe my cat will get one for a hideout.
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 11:53:08 pm »
^^^
You and I think alike Rocket. Just have to wait and see what's left in the box after Halloween.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 10:28:16 pm »
Checked for clearance stuff after Halloween at several area Walmarts. The Maskimals were still full price. In one store, all that remained were rabbit and raccoon masks.
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 02:16:18 am »
There is a wide selection at my local store, but as you experienced all at full price.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2017, 06:22:01 pm »
While recently cruising the area Walmarts, I could no longer find any Maskimals, even in the clearance aisles. There was a thought that holiday theme masks might be offered. Perhaps next Summer the silly masks will return, and with new characters.
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 11:58:36 pm »
The Maskimals were back at Walmart late this Winter and quickly sold out. No tiger masks with this lot. Still no canines. Now one can find wookies in a bin to themselves. Another bin had Jurassic Park-themed T-Rex masks.
(Baps the old humorist.)