Author Topic: how did you choose your furry name  (Read 133844 times)

Offline Lorne

• Dead account - not used anymore
  • Male
Re: how did you choose your furry name
« Reply #750 on: May 07, 2016, 11:26:24 am »
Lorne actually came from "Latharn An Balgair" which was gonna be the show name I used for medieval re-enactments. It's a mix of Irish and Scottish Gaelic. Latharn (pronounced Lorne) means fox and Balgair means fox as well, but in the sense of a rogue or scoundrel. Much like you might call someone who's sneaky and dishonest a weasel.
Dead account - not checked anymore.

Offline ShopePapilloma

• Species: Jackalope
  • Grumpy weirdo with 22 pets. Icon by SnoConeGlobe!
  • Female
« Reply #751 on: July 18, 2016, 07:29:25 pm »
Shope's name comes from the Shope Papilloma virus, which gives rabbits antler-like tumors. This also explains my username.  ;)
MST3K, anyone?

Offline Hashira

• Species: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • they/their, she/her
« Reply #752 on: July 18, 2016, 07:51:18 pm »
Throwing a bunch of poetic words into Google translate and hoping something sounds cool! You've done it too, don't lie.
Come find me! More to come!

Offline Beag L. Howler

« Reply #753 on: July 19, 2016, 07:59:14 am »
The first name and middle initial are made to create the word 'beagle', and beagles are known for howling, so there you go.

Offline Subzerus

• Species: Anthro lizard
  • Male
« Reply #754 on: July 19, 2016, 02:15:16 pm »
I wasn't very creative so... Subzero! Wait it's taken... Subzerus!
Profile picture by Javatan.
http://javatan.deviantart.com/

Offline Robert_Silvermyst

• Species: Archangel Wolf
  • High King of Furgasta
  • Male
« Reply #755 on: August 20, 2016, 03:23:37 am »
Robert is my first name, both in fursona and real life. Since my fursona is an extension of me, he should share at least my first name.

Silvermyst comes from two things: Silver is one of my favorite colors, given my love for medieval armors, and Myst, the point and click adventure series  that was an addiction of mine during my early teen years.

Offline Rocoro

• Species: Dhole
  • Dhole dog. Google it.
  • Male
« Reply #756 on: September 17, 2016, 01:21:38 am »
It was a typo from a Huffington Post article. The article was about art. One of which was Rococo, a real form of art. They spelled it "rocoro".

And a legend was born.
ROCORO

Offline Caedis

• Species: Housecat
  • Male
« Reply #757 on: October 04, 2016, 12:20:21 am »
It sounded cool.
Used to be more frequent, now significantly less so. No idea what's going on.

Offline Jakoo

• Species: European Otter
  • Otters Gonna Ott
  • Male
« Reply #758 on: October 13, 2016, 11:57:08 am »
Back when I was in primary school (didn't know about furries yet), I asked my dad to buy me a Minecraft account so I could play with my friends on official servers. Since it was supposed to be a surprise birthday present, and you had to choose a username for the account, my dad didn't ask me and came up with "jakooste" (which is a play on my irl name). I didn't like it much and was angry at first, moreso because I went by "nertal" or something similar on the internet back then. Soon I got used to it and when several years later I started playing MOBA-s, the players referred to me as "jakoo". I thought it might actually make a good fursona name, so when I came up with an otter sona, I didn't hestitate to name him Jakoo. Thus I found a name that is simultaneously original, personal, and realistic in the furry culture. Lucky me  :D
Why can't I hold all these colors?! Oh wait I can ^^
I have Telegram! @Jakoo_Ruddertail

Offline TheManWithNoPlan

« Reply #759 on: October 14, 2016, 10:01:35 am »
TheManWithNoPlan is just my internet username that I use for just about everything, it originated with my Warhammer group because I go in to tournaments with no plan.
But my current sona is called Spoon so I might be calling myself Spoon.

Offline Nyro

• Species: Wolverine
  • Knock knock it's Nyro
  • Male
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #760 on: October 20, 2016, 03:46:18 pm »
Nyro's name was originally spelled "Kniro". I don't remember exactly how I came up with the name, but I do know that it wasn't even intended for the character it belongs to now. I was actually trying to find a name for a different character that was an anthro dog and some sort of forest guardian thing. I do know that I intentionally made the name start with "Kn" because I was trying to make a replacement character for Knuckles from some really stupid fanfic I made. I never really did anything with that character though. Later, I was back making replacement characters. I decided to use the name "Kniro" again since I never did anything with the previous character. At the time I only ever used the Sonic Fan Character Wiki (I had deactivated my first DA account) even though I was changing all my fan characters to original characters anyway. I decided to change my username from "Paws-the-Wolf" to "KniroAndTito3915" (Tito being the Tails replacement and "3915" being a reference to a certain page in a certain terrible fanfic I made . . .) Only really one person still calls me Paws today but most others started calling me Kniro (and sometimes KAT, which I do not like to be called anymore because reasons). I later changed the spelling of Kniro to "Nyro" because a lot of people had troubles pronouncing Kniro right.

Long story short, the nickname "Nyro" (originally Kniro) somehow stuck for me online.

Offline Light Blackwood

• Species: Boa & mamba
  • Obscurum
« Reply #761 on: October 28, 2016, 12:54:47 pm »
Light Kleave Blackwood

Name and last names are just because I really like them. Light also is a reference of my main scale color, since white is represented as maximun amouth of light instead of a color, but also is the contrary of what I like/want and "hides" my true personality if you take the word too seriously.
Kleave was the name (?) of a cyborg xeno character I really liked from a game and Blackwwod just because it has "black" and seems to be a more "normal" last name

My other couple of Oc's are:
 - Xerean(u) Just meant to be weird/extrange, since he's from another planet

- Galleon - A mix of my "internet name" (Gaeltherus/Galerus) and real one, and just taking the first letters of each.

Offline YourUnknownHost

• Species: Maned Wolf
  • Hi there!
  • Male
« Reply #762 on: October 31, 2016, 11:11:13 pm »
Im not so sure, i think it came from the errors "unknown host" or probably watching clue at the time. Possibly a mixture of both!

Offline Dunder

• Species: Spiral-Horned Antelopes (Strepciserotini)
  • Male
« Reply #763 on: November 10, 2016, 03:56:14 pm »
Derrick is from Central Africa. His name, Derrick Alban Okoye-Mhekir, illustrates that.

Offline Howie_Noble

• Species: Lynx Rufus Sapiens (anthro bobcat)
  • everything has its poem
  • Male
« Reply #764 on: December 18, 2016, 07:59:04 pm »
The town of Howe is where the bobcat came to visit me at a camp one night. The nearby county called Noble seemed a fitting last name.
“What love we've given, we'll have forever. What love we fail to give, will be lost for all eternity." Dr. Leo Buscaglia

Offline Aryot

• Species: Snow Leopard
  • Male
« Reply #765 on: May 07, 2017, 11:55:18 pm »
My full furry name is Keshet Chataultul Aryot. I always wanted a unique name to kind of stand out from the others. So I went with my Jewish background and choose a Jewish name. The translation is this Keshet (Rainbow) Chataultul  (Catperson) Aryot (Lioness).

Offline Michen_S

• Species: Ghost cat
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
  • Male
« Reply #766 on: May 08, 2017, 09:24:30 am »
The full name is Michen Sneeuwhart. I decided I wanted a name that reflected my fursona's species, religion, and a small part of their personality. Later, I decided I would like a Dutch or German name to reflect my nationality.
I solved the species first by starting the last name with something that could be connected to the cold. Then I decided I could paste the personality thing into the last name as well by using a metaphor. A bit of tinkering later, I decided to go with Sneeuwhart (literally translated to snowheart).
Then the first name should reflect my Christianity. Searching with Google I found the name Michael. It was both a German and Christian-based name. However, it was a boy name. I wanted a name that was androgynous, but after more searching Michael still stuck. So I tinkered on Michael until I came up with Michen, useful as German/Dutch androgynous name if pronounced right. (However, people are so used to English online they always think it's a British name and pronounce it in English...)

Offline Pratzelwurm

• Species: Bakeneko
  • I'm a cool kitty cat
  • Male
    • Listography
« Reply #767 on: May 16, 2017, 03:38:09 am »
My furry name is also my Wiccan name, which is something some Wiccans have. He's obviously named after Salem, Massachusetts (the origin of my Wiccan name) -- but I also thought it would be a fun reference to Sabrina the Teenage Witch, as Salem is my favourite character from that show, and my 'sona is also a black cat (though, not pure black).
Beep beep, all aboard the idiot wagon.

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #768 on: May 16, 2017, 07:41:43 am »
I can't find my first post (if I even made one) so I'll post again.

Varg means wolf. I used to take looooong walks at night (5-15 miles) in all types of weather. 10 states and 5 countries later it turned out to be prophetic. I've moved 23 times since leaving home in 2005. :P
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kalam

• Species: African Painted Dog
  • Male
« Reply #769 on: May 20, 2017, 04:27:40 am »
Simply enough, Kalam had a Indian inspiration in his design. I had an interest in the religion and the culture, and the lore of their gods at the time. So he ended up getting an Indian inspired name!