Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
general non-furry discussion / Re: Eaglemoss Enterprise
« Last post by Kay Alett on July 25, 2022, 10:40:54 pm »
Bad news, Kay. Looks like you and I may not be able to finish collecting and building our Enterprises.
There's been major news the last 2-3 days that Eaglemoss may (or may not) go bankrupt.
If they do, it's uncertain that new Enterprise part shipments will be made/sent to customers.
We may end up with just partial builds and no way to finish them.  :'(

Well that's really unfortunate...
general non-furry discussion / Re: Random Thought For The Day
« Last post by Firelight on July 25, 2022, 07:48:12 pm »
At least once a week, I walk outside and say "Computer, end program.".  It doesn't work. :( 

(Kudos to anybody who understands that reference. ;) )

I so got that  :D
Silly husky this isn't Star Trek  :D
general non-furry discussion / Re: COSPLAY: A History book
« Last post by Firelight on July 25, 2022, 07:46:17 pm »
That's pretty cool.
general non-furry discussion / Re: The "Good News" thread.
« Last post by Firelight on July 25, 2022, 07:45:01 pm »
I have no bad news! Yep that's my good news  :)
general non-furry discussion / Re: Local weather
« Last post by Firelight on July 25, 2022, 07:43:16 pm »
Hot. Very hot as in 99-100% heat!
general non-furry discussion / Re: What really "grinds your gears"?
« Last post by Firelight on July 25, 2022, 07:41:13 pm »
Just my dad currently.
general non-furry discussion / Re: What Are You Up To?
« Last post by Firelight on July 25, 2022, 07:40:12 pm »
Will be trying to stay cool in 99-100% heat!
convention talk / Re: DenFur2022 rebooted?
« Last post by Jade Sinapu on July 23, 2022, 10:52:16 pm »
I will see what we can do.  For now I will just get there, and see what happens.
She is into Anime and comic cons, and such.
traditional and digital artwork / Re: A Rat's journey in oil painting.
« Last post by cause the rat on July 23, 2022, 04:15:28 am »
To be truthful the above posts started as an attempt to get a picture posted. Couldn't get the pic on site so I ranted instead. I'll find a way to show off my clown vomit.

Discipline.

I just got done teaching myself something. Something that any time I hear someone talk about is "One of the hardest things for an artist to learn". In all honesty I spent  more than a hundred hours learning to see value instead of color. Learning to match values with color. So what am I doing now? I'm forgetting everything else I've learned or heard. Recklessly throwing paint. Instead of discipline I'm happily sliding down the other side of the mountain I just climbed. Creating more bad habits I'll have to stop before I can start up the next side. It's a proven fact that it's harder to fix bad habits than it is to learn it right the first time. Time to get serious again. Discipline. So I spent hours looking at how artist depicted painted planks of wood. Now I'm going to spend hours trying to recreate what they did. Find a tough spot? Fix it. Every time you do this the process gets faster. Don't waste any more of your time hoping you'll get it right on the next project.

A little fun fact about values
So your anthro character is majestically sanding with the scenery stretching to the horizon behind. A landscape is broken down into three sections. Background, mid and foreground. Each of these sections have their own value scale of dark, mid and light. These values depend on whether the object is upright or if it's the ground. So every upright object in the background has a different set of three values that the ground around them. The same goes for the mid ground and the foreground. None of the values in one plane can be repeated in the next. The sky has it's own set of values. Again can not be repeated. So even before you get to your majestic anthro character you have four separate sets of three values and three of one value each. Why is value so important to learn? Value is what creates form and depth in art. Now when someone see's your anthro character it will be standing out from the landscape around it.
traditional and digital artwork / Re: A Rat's journey in oil painting.
« Last post by cause the rat on July 22, 2022, 12:58:10 am »
see if this works. It's a learning thing. Trial and error. And I took error into a whole new realm. What's really got my goat is I knew not to do what I did. Not even going to call it a beginner's mistake. Nope, just plain dumb on my part. But I did learn something from it. The two different painting techniques I want to learn do not work well when put on top of one another. The one is dragging wet paint through wet paint to create texture. The other is using colors with the same or close to the same value to create texture. Spent an hour painting the first layer. Just to spend two plus hours turning half of an exercise into what looks like clown vomit. The other thing I learned was spending all that time painting a first layer wasn't necessary if I want to use either of the other techniques. Now I'm going to spend time scraping half of this exercise off and starting that section over. Working on both texture and shadow color. The area I turned to clown vomit is supposed to be wood planks. Still have a stone and brick wall to play with. Along with a cobbled street.

Push yourself. You may get more oops than Ah HA moments. Always compare yourself to where you wan to be. Never keep your mistakes. I Cant' say this enough. If your learning never keep what you did. Remember what you did right and go on. Looking back will hold you back.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]