Author Topic: Mylo's Short Story Challenge!  (Read 15372 times)

Offline Mylo

Re: Mylo's Short Story Challenge!
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2012, 12:57:56 am »
I read this short story this morning. I loved the imagery invoked and the sadness is gripping. You ought to be published, sir!  (: I also liked the way you included the word wings.

If you have the time, please write a story around the word pugmarks.  (: (Those are pawprints btw)

I love the stories so far. New word. How about Dragon?

I'm glad you all like my stories.  :)

Here is one combining the two words:

Amerie and her husband of two years had made the decision long ago to leave their country, the day she became pregnant.  Mark was against it at first considering the sheer danger there was of crossing the border through the misted forest, but Amerie...she was set on leaving before her child would be born.  

The moon shone its hazy light through the mist of the forest as husband and wife quickly walked among the trees, being careful to not step on the pine cones or the fallen sticks.  Mark led the way scanning the cast shadows for any sign of movement; Amerie followed behind looking across her shoulder every now and then.  This was escape; their hearts were beating from their physical exertion, but their chests were bursting from the anxiety of the possibility of being seen. Step by step, they moved forward, hoping that this was the right way, that the rumors were true and that this was the path. Step by step, they moved closer to freedom.

Suddenly, Mark stepped on a pine cone, the little seeds crunching together mashing the pine needles between them.  The sound bounces off the trees and into the night, into the mist. Amerie contracted her breath silently, still walking with Mark who ignored the sound and was instead looking down at a set of paw prints in the mud.  He was confused and looked ahead…to his surprise, there was a black figure standing against one of the thousand trees.  Amerie felt light-headed, not realizing she was holding her breath, while Mark stood very still, the moonlight only touching the bridge of his nose and the back of his hand. The figure was still at the tree.  Amerie was as still as the air.  Mark was as still as the night.

And then, the figure slowly stepped out into the night, revealing two black scale-covered legs.  But that was all they saw of the figure at the moment, as he drew back into the shadows upon hearing a shout in the distance.  Mark and Amerie knew that this was a dragon and that it was such a coincidence for three escapees to meet at this exact same time and in this exact same place.  

But then they all heard a shout again.  Mark pulled Amerie towards the thick areas of trees, trying to find a dense patch of mist to conceal them.  Amerie looked back, making out the dragon still standing in the shadows, its scaly skin camouflaged well with the bark but only given away by the small star of light reflected in its eyes.  Then, Mark stopped.

Just ahead of them, three officers had turned on a flashlight and were shouting just beyond the other side of the trees.  Amerie prayed that the officers had not seen them, and Mark could only stand still, crouching down slightly out of fear of being captured.  He took Amerie and hid behind one of the closest trees, but he knew it was too late.  She knew that they would be caught any second.  The crunching of branches, pine needles and cones, and dirt flakes coupled with heavy breath and talking amplified in volume as the officers grew closer and closer to the couple.  Mark hugged Amerie as tight as he could, and Amerie shed a tear while concentrating on not breathing.  Both of them began to feel lightheaded, wanting desperately to take in more air than their minds would allow.  And then, they heard a crack right behind the tree.

Suddenly, Amerie heard a blast and opening her eyes, she and Mark saw a fireball rise up into the night.  One of the trees caught on fire, and the branches were immersed in red flames.  The couple knew, but why?  Why would he do such an irrational thing?  The officers quickly barked at each other while running to the flaming tree, their flashlights making visible beams in the humid air.  Amerie and Mark could see their backs now, but only for a second as they disappeared behind the trees.

Nobody knew how it happened.  Suddenly in this small country, human women began giving birth to half dragon offspring.  The degree of humanity and dragon in their DNA always varied, but their intelligence was deeply affected to the point of retardation.  Some were more dragon than human, some more human than dragon.  Some were almost indistinguishable from humans aside from their rough skin and tails, but the government mandated that all its citizens were human or dragon.  There were no degrees.  So, it was ordered that all pregnancies be registered with the government so that at the end of the first trimester, the species of the baby could be determined.  If the baby was a human, then they would live a human life.  If born a half-dragon, then they would be taken away from their parents and subject to an alternate future, one that some people, including Amerie and Mark, were more than repelled with.  Whether their baby was born a human or a dragon, they would raise him or her as their son or daughter.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2012, 11:37:38 am »
A tragic, but interesting story.  One could say to a dragon wife.
Your beautiful when you blow fire.    :D
oldrabbit.com

Offline typingwithpaws

• Species: fox
  • Male
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2012, 07:14:00 am »
you have a really good way of describing things, something i seem to lack. :-[

Keep up the great work Mylo  :D
"Nothing will ever surpass the beauty and elegance of a bad idea"

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2012, 10:10:10 pm »
Nice work! Love the dragon-human element!  :D
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Scarlegs

• Hey...Hey kid.....Wanna buy a dishwasher?
  • Female
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2013, 05:43:41 pm »
Awesome work Mylo!
Can I suggest a word?
I'm not sure this would qualify as a word, it's actually a condition. Post-Encephalitis.
I think that might be a little hard, given there's almost no info on the topic so......Colours
FF FFD3adm A+ C- D H++ M+ P++++ R- T+++ W Z- Z- Sf-- a- e- f++ h* i++ p++
Here is my DA http://scarlegs.deviantart.com/
#A38CF3 < Just a reminder!

Offline Mylo

« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2013, 11:01:39 am »
Wow...I wrote my last story several months ago...

Perhaps I can start up this thread again. :)

Offline Jackie

• Species: Sherbet Red Panda
  • Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2013, 12:28:06 pm »
Mylooooo! Arctic?
* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline Sergalicious

• Species: northern sergal
  • I need some snuggs pretty bad now...
  • Male
I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts...
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline Sergalicious

• Species: northern sergal
  • I need some snuggs pretty bad now...
  • Male
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2013, 10:34:15 am »
really really strong engines (not meant to be realistic just to get the idea of advanced technology but no electricity, its all gas and steam powered.) the leviathan series is a great example of steampunk if you have read it. its by Scott westerfeld http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PYiw5vkQFPw it has 2 books after it if you are interested in reading them if you haven't
I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts...
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline typingwithpaws

• Male
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2013, 06:19:27 pm »
get back in the game mylo :p

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2013, 07:42:07 pm »
ricochet.  lots of possibility there.  keep up the good work. :D

Offline Mylo

« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2013, 11:04:07 am »
I think that might be a little hard, given there's almost no info on the topic so......Colours

This thread is going to go slow, if at all.  But here is the story for colours to start it again. ;)  Or rather, just a descriptive paragraph.

I remember when the colours of the world seemed brighter.  People’s faces seemed to glow like the lampposts that lit the boardwalk as our fiery sun met the orange water in the distance, the passion of the world sinking beneath the sea.  The neon lights would spark to life, advertising happiness in exchange for glittery coins that sparkled in your hand, just like the goods the eager shop owners were selling, and the cars that glided so smoothly along the road.  Life was simple;life was fun.  Nature was among us and we were all together, and I longed for that moment before I came into the world of the future. 
Bleak.  Solo.
Nothing could compare to the rain clouds that touched the mountains, the mist that coated our faces in a cool film as we drove in that beautiful white car down the road they built into the cliff.  You were with me and the sun was shining.
And then the future world fades back, and I can’t do anything to step out of it and back to this peaceful world where the sky sheds its colors for the points of light poking through the black of nightfall.     
I couldn’t go on nor could I go back, so I would reminisce of and for that unforgettable week, quietly ignoring the flaws in my painted picture.  It was easy to mark over those...small…flaws in that memory.  There are so many shades to choose from, to distract me from the rotting canvas below. 
But I cherished this canvas nonetheless, this picture that hanged prominently in the wall of my memory, its many colors so tastefully echoing among the subtle hues of the room.  Even as I let it fall apart, as the linen came undone and the colors began to peel, revealing the mistakes beneath, I held this masterpiece centerpiece for my mind to enjoy and cherish.  Because to me, it was the most beautiful painting in the world. 
But no…those are the colours of nostalgia that distort our views of the past...we colour-blind ourselves in a way it seems.  Then again, aren’t all colors beautiful in their own way?

Offline Gauthar

• Male
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2013, 09:52:02 pm »
Lygon or um Panda or um um OH OH I KNOW  Box

Offline Mylo

« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2013, 03:58:49 am »
apocalypse? :3

July 11, 2019.  Tropical Base.

Beads would be an understatement to describe the rivers of sweat flowing down the soldiers’ faces as they kept guard at the gate, weapons at the ready, eyes on watch.  Even the heavy sun struggled to send its rays through the dense air, let alone a soldier’s breath through his mouth and into his lungs.  A truck rumbled through the shrubbery to the gate of tropical base, and its driver wore the uniform of the army.  The driver rolled down the window.
“Hot day,” not knowing what else to say as he pulled out his identification. 
“Certainly, sir,” replied the officer, scanning the identification badge.  “All clear.”
The driver of the truck turned to his partner, wiping the sweat from his forehead.  “Thank God, only two more days in hell.”
“Thank God indeed,” replied the second officer.  He noticed the still bleeding cut on the other soldier’s forehead, the blood mixing so slightly with the sweat to make it seem like it was bleeding more than it was.  But it was just a small cut, nothing to worry about, the kind that would heal by tomorrow.  It was just the humidity that was making it seem worse, so thought the soldier as they drove into the base, ready for dinner that evening, the thought leaving his mind as fast as the sweat from his forehead. 

September 21, 2019.  Dallas, Texas.

“Marty, come back inside!” called a mother from her patio, her son kicking a plastic ball, enjoying the fact that it changed colors as it rolled. 
“Mama…” yelled the kid in disappointment.  “But I wanna stay out here…”
“Come one honey, we’ve got to go pick up your father at the airport,” she said.  “Let’s fix you up and then we can get in the car and go.  You want to see Daddy don’t you?”
“Yeah…” said the kid, as he looked at the ground, then the ball, then to his mother, and back to the ground. 
“Yeah?” said his mother.  “Come on Alex, let’s go inside and get you cleaned up.”
The mother bent down as her son walked to her with struggling legs, and then she picked him up to go inside…he seemed very tired from the heat outside.  The news was on in the kitchen, talking about the terrorist attack in London two days before and its potential impact on the upcoming Olympics in Tokyo.  As she was putting on her favorite shirt, the news switched to a segment about two other soldiers who had died in Virginia from an as yet undetermined disease.  They didn’t know if it was at all connected with the other soldiers who died in mid-August, shortly after returning to the United States.

December 21, 2019.  New York City, New York

“There’s a pandemic among us!” yelled the burly man with his short, unkempt brown hair rustling in the cold breeze.  “The United States has gone too far this time!  I’ll tell you why all those people are dying!  Operation Lasting Freedom!  That’s right.  We’ve pushed too far and now we’re all being cursed for it.”
Some people stood to listen, although whether or not it was through legitimate interest to his cause was not apparent.  Most people walked quickly past him as it was the holiday season, and they were all scouring for gifts on this bustling, cold Saturday afternoon.
Two police men on patrol took notice of the man. 
“Sir, you’re gonna have to come with us.”
The shouting man took no heed, instead continuing his monologue maintaining eye contact with the sum of the people who didn’t seem to care. 
“We don’t need people fear mongering so close to Christmas,” said the officer in a more firm voice.  “Now if you’ll just come with us.” 
The man pointed at the police officers.  “You see this?”
“Sir, put your hands down.”
“Put your hands down!” said the other police officer.
“Put your hands down now!”
Another officer had heard the commotion and took a baton from his belt, pressed a switch on the side, and immediately, all the surrounding smartphones went dark. 
“Hey what gives?!” yelled an angry passerby on the sidewalk.
But the officers ignored them.  Instead, an officer took out another black baton, stabbed it into the man with the pressure of a light punch, and instantly, the man fell to the ground incapacitated. 
“Damn, I’m gonna have to recharge this thing now,” said the officer with the baton as he turned the man over to examine his face for injuries. 
The people had paused as their phones were shut off, staring at the scene with empty and frustrated looks on their faces.
“I’m sorry, please, Merry Christmas everyone,” said the police officer as he put the baton back into his belt.
The man’s eyes were scanned as the people began to use the phones again, walking down the streets, focused on the near holiday. 

April 2, 2020.  Baltimore, Maryland.

I stayed in my room, alone, my back against the furthest wall from the window.  I had never felt true fear in my short and safe life, but I heard the loud noises outside, and suddenly the walls around me did not feel safe as they once did.  I heard glass breaking, some kind of explosion.  Then quiet.  Then shouting.  All I could do was sit there paralyzed…a bullet had been shot through my wall and out the ceiling.  I didn’t want to go out…I didn’t want to stay in. 
The disease had killed so many people so mercilessly, and so many people couldn’t commit to their social services.  All the television channels had a red bar on the bottom recommending everyone stay indoors as it was unknown just how contagious this disease was, considering it had such a long incubation period and the fact that at the moment, it could not be detected until minor symptoms occurred. 
Every sneeze I had, every time my throat went dry, my stomach sank as the thoughts raced through my mind…could I have this disease already?  Will I die tomorrow or today? 
More shouting and a loudspeaker.  Things seemed to be calling down from the morning. 

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2013, 12:51:13 pm »
Though apocalypse is often thought as some approaching terrible
event. It also has the meaning to reveal or a discovery of knowledge.

Nicely written Mylo.

How about "cavern"  :orbunny:

oldrabbit.com

Offline typingwithpaws

• Male
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2013, 07:45:38 pm »
missed your stuff mylo!

love the structure of how it's all set out, clean, crisp. makes it look very professional  :D