Author Topic: Sub vs Dub  (Read 4925 times)

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
Sub vs Dub
« on: September 17, 2011, 12:40:25 am »
Which is more popular amongst you types?
Personally I prefer subbed, I find the voices fit with the characters much better on most occasions. Although it can all be ruined by poor translation, but I haven't had too much of a problem with that.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
Re: Sub vs Dub
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 12:54:45 am »
I actually tend to prefer dubbed.  It may just be that the few anime i've watched it was better,  but there's a lot more expression in the voices...   But then again,  I've heard the dub versions of some anime are absolutely terrible...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:27:09 am by Alsek »

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 05:53:35 am »
I usually try to see both…

I like the original unchanged Japanese versions, though I find it harder to follow the story and watch the animation.
(it‘s the television equivalent of driving stick, you get more out of it, but you really can’t relax in the same way.)

Where as with the English dubs, I’m able to sit back and enjoy the show more, but it may not be entirely true to the original.

…I guess I prefer dubs 60/40 over subs, although, if I can get a better understanding of the language, I may be able to watch them raw,
Though I’m not quite there yet.
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 10:18:47 am »
I was introduced to anime through a friend in college who always watched subbed, never dubbed. I grew used to that, and just generally feel like it fits better than subbed. It did take some time adjusting to be able to catch both the action and the subs, but you get used to it. I'm at the point now where I can just glance down at the subs real quick, or sometimes (especially when the pace is a little more relaxed) just kinda stare at the screen and take it all in at once, including the subtitles.

I just feel like the dubs hardly ever fit the characters as well as the original voices.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 11:42:11 am »
For me, I generally prefer dubbing if possible. But I'll watch either. It really depends on the series as well as how good things are translated.

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 03:25:43 pm »
personlay i find subbed, when its done by a GOOD subbing group, to be far better than the official subbing or any possible dub.

for example, some of the sub groupd for shippuden and bleach will use special font when the time arises adding to the feel of the show.

but there are a few anime's i will watch in english, and for a few reasons, one i grew up watching them in english, so im forced to think of them as english characters, cowboy bebop for example, or trigun.

but the other time is when the english voices are actually better than the japanese ones, like dragon ball z for example, watched a few episodes of DBZ in japanese, goku sounded like a 5 year old, lol

just couldnt keep watching.

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 09:07:41 pm »
It depends.

If the sub and the dub both have good voice quality (as in acting), then I'll go for the dubbed version.

Otherwise, I'll choose subbed.

Very rarely are there good dubs though...

Offline Kishi

• *balances ferret plushie on my head*
  • Male
    • Press this to be a stalker.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 10:55:57 pm »
I enjoy both, Dub over Sub if the Dub is better than the Sub, such as the case of Spice and Wolf. Having a more mature voice makes Holo better represented as a God, and not a little girl.
"But are you going to kill her off?"
"It's not your decision. I love the character, she stays."
"Yeah, well the only thing love's done is put you in this position; I say kill her off!"
"Yeah, but you say a lot of things... and how does that work? You're a bicycle" Claudio Sanchez, In the song Ten Speed of Gods Blood and Burial, which is basically about a crazy old writer talking to his bicycle.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 10:20:06 am »
I enjoy both, Dub over Sub if the Dub is better than the Sub, such as the case of Spice and Wolf. Having a more mature voice makes Holo better represented as a God, and not a little girl.

Have only seen that one subbed. But I can't imagine her with a more mature voice. It doesn't seem to fit the personality I saw in her. Then again, maybe that's because of the voice?

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 01:04:19 pm »
I'll almost always choose subbed. However, I had a friend who made me watch Higurashi dubbed, and it was actually really good. A few shows get away with good English.
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 01:17:04 pm »
Either is okay for me. I don't honestly mind.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Kishi

• *balances ferret plushie on my head*
  • Male
    • Press this to be a stalker.
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 02:22:36 pm »

Have only seen that one subbed. But I can't imagine her with a more mature voice. It doesn't seem to fit the personality I saw in her. Then again, maybe that's because of the voice?

Go back and watch a dubbed episode. She doesn't sound like a japanese teenager pretending to be a thousand year old harvest goddess.
"But are you going to kill her off?"
"It's not your decision. I love the character, she stays."
"Yeah, well the only thing love's done is put you in this position; I say kill her off!"
"Yeah, but you say a lot of things... and how does that work? You're a bicycle" Claudio Sanchez, In the song Ten Speed of Gods Blood and Burial, which is basically about a crazy old writer talking to his bicycle.

Offline Avor

• Male
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 04:40:49 pm »
I like to watch my movies, not read them. But I would like to have borh versons on my DVDs.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 05:55:43 pm »

Go back and watch a dubbed episode. She doesn't sound like a japanese teenager pretending to be a thousand year old harvest goddess.

I just can't see her as the Horo I'm used to with that voice. Also, it really messes with me to hear it and see it as 'Holo' instead of 'Horo' (subs I watched spelled it with the 'r'). I know that's how it actually translates, but when you're used to it enough one way I guess... Just seems like the english voice is almost too grown up? I mean, she is thousands of years old, but she's also playful, mischievous, and often a bit juvenile. Oh well.